[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

The bird vest comes with a bazillion pockets and the semi-rigid holster was just annoying so I made one of cloth that doesn't sort of poke the vest flat on the left.

People either think you're creepy or fascinating. No in between.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239271.html#msg239271

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GozzoTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

" People either think you're creepy or fascinating. No in between. "
Aint that the truth, I recently went to Bribie island with the family for my first Beach hunt ( and was doing well till it started pouring and the family wanted to leave) took three hours to drive there, and only got about half hour. I was just starting to figure out were people were walking in and off the beach. and getting onto a good number of coins. when the tinlids and she who must be obeyed decide it was time for the 3 hour drive home. But the looks I was getting in some cases were hilarious. the wife said when i wasnt looking people were pointing at me some laughing, some looked like they thought I was a headcase and other's apparently were looking through green eyes. especially when they saw me flip a newly discovered coin. i always do that when I find a coin it's kinda like my little ritual. I know if I could have stayed it was going to be an awesome hunt. But sooks and rain dont mix. but I guess I do look a little weird to some with my finds pouch retreival tool water bottle pin pointer etc on my webbing belt. probably got as many gadgets as Batman on my belt. lol
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239273.html#msg239273

Dig it, you know you WANT to.

Sorry this isn't that kind of Swingers club.

Offline 22k
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:38:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Please Register or Login

Garrett Pro Pointer Security Attachment

Published on Nov 22, 2012
Garrett pro pointer and the assembly of the New security attachment and Lanyard to help stop you losing that expensive Garrett accessory. Don`t Lose your Pro pointer !

I found this mabe you can make on

Posted on: December 23, 2012, 12:32:54 AM
Ya i am going to try this

Please Register or Login

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1753018
    ProPointer easy to do automatic ON - OFF switch   Make an Automatic On-Off switch using a tiny mercury switch. No soldering iron needed and no alteration done to the ProPointer. Just drop the mercury switch into the battery compartment and put the battery back in

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239369.html#msg239369

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 03:12:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool as 22k thats exactly what I had in mind thanks for the link
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239405.html#msg239405

Offline Christoph1945
Bronze Member

Mood:Calm
Calm

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

670.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

C-Scope CS4PI + Maplins N87KA + Garrett Euuro Ace & ProPointer + MineLab Safari
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

I love my ProPointer and wouldn't go out detecting without it. Having read the initial post on this thread; I had a quick look at the Garrett website and was interested to see that the ProPinter was now listed in their security section. Just before retiring I spent seven and a half years in aviation security and used a number of hand held metal detectors for the purpose of scanning people for concealed metal objects. When I retired and took up beach metal detecting I tried a number of pieces of equipment for pinpointing but was dissapointed in the results that I obtained.

It was only when I bought my ProPointer that I became content with the perfomance of my pinpointing. I also got to thinking "gee, I wish that I had one of those when I was working the airport search area" Yep, I like it a lot and wouldn't be without it. The point about having a lanyard fitted is very valid and I bought a lanyard fitting from the auction section of the UK metal detecting site "Metal Detecting Forum." Having lost my ProPointer on a North Wales beach, spent hours searching in the dark with a small torch, I recovered the little beauty twenty four hours later. And then I bought a lanyard fitting!

A fellow detectorist bought a different lanyard fitting off eBay but it was a little more flimsy than the one that I bought and I guess that he would have to replace his long before I would even think about buying a second one.

Having used a Garrett ProPointer, would you buy anything differnt? And "no" I am not on the Garrett payroll  !!!

Chris   Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239406.html#msg239406

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:17:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

The only other pin pointer i have owned/used was a Centech that I won in a competition here on Thunting. I compared a few before I made my final decision. I was actually hoping to win one, so I could donate the money I was saving for a pin pointer to this Forum as I have learned so much here, I actually think I could write a beginners guide. I was fairly clueless when I first found the site but with some ( a lot ) help from Homie, Thylacine, Cache and all the others who answered my incessant newbie questions, I was instilled with a new confidence, that I was then prepared to actually start spending serious money on a decent machine ( Ace 350 ) it may not be the top of the line, but once I find that first really valuable score i think it will be an AT Gold. But in answer to your question Nope the Pro- Pointer is the only pin pointer for me. But I love Garrett Products, Just not the Australian prices, I asked Garrett Australia, why it cost so much more ( Often double ) here and was given the rubbish about, transport exchange rates etc, I find it hard to believe that they pay more per unit to import a machine, than I did to import a single unit. My Ace has seen plenty of use in the time I have had it, warranty runs out on 23/2/2013 so the " No Australian warranty " argument has kinda been a joke. My first ever Garrett detector was an A2b, which I bought 3rd hand was made in the early 80's and is only just starting to show signs of failing, on its 4th owner. I'm a Garrett fan and unless someone gives me a Minelab I doubt I will EVER change brands I would also take this Opportunity, to Say R.I.P to Roy Lagal a man who put so much into our hobby. It would take volumes to describe Sorry I have gone a bit off topic. Does anyone have a direct link to the  lanyard device for the pro pointer as I cannot find one.
Keep On
 Detecting
 Gozzo
P.S Merry Xmas Everyone and a Swinging New Year

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239407.html#msg239407

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 07:52:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Keeping on topic is a lost art which is tolerated here beyond what is sensible.

Sorry to hear about Roy. A great loss to our community. As to Garrett's warranty, they honored my warranty when I was en-route to Europe, shipping me a part to my FPO address at no cost. Then, when I had an intermittent problem with a unit that was 25 years old at the time, they charged me a whopping $10.00 plus shipping for a total of $31.00. Still works to this day. The machine was purchased in 1971 and is still working 42 years on with one repair. I love those guys.

Tesoro has also always been very good on their warranty. They also say that there is no warranty for overseas but what they mean is that you will have to pay 100% of the shipping both ways.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239408.html#msg239408

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gd
 Totally agree with everything you say about Garrett, have never owned anything from Tesoro, It's the Australian Dealers that are doing, the what can only be described as advertising campaign about not buying from overseas. We only have one magazine here in Australia that deals with Metal detecting or prospecting in general. Australian Gold Gem and Treasure lately the back cover has been a full page ad for Garrett Dealers here in OZ, ( no problem with that) But it's main MSG in the ad is about the perils associated with  buying from overseas. I payed I think from memory $327 on Ebay for my Ace, a Garrett cap ( Hats are a big deal in the part of OZ I come from (Skin Cancer Capital of the world ) Garrett retrieval tool, Finds pouch, weather cover and Headphones. Just for the Machine, which includes headphones, itself in Australia is around $500 so if I had to pay for return postage to Texas, I am fairly certain I would still be in front. But I don't believe there is really much chance of a problem with a Garrett quality machine in the first year anyway. The don't buy it from overseas MSG seems to be making it into reviews as well. Which IMHO is very unprofessional.
  Also with regards to where to get the attachment for the Pro Pointer I found it here.

Please Register or Login

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290832135207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239410.html#msg239410

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 11:27:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gozzo
Australian Gold Gem and Treasure

I have a stack of these about 3 feet tall and a few articles in them to boot. Great magazine but the editor is very hard to contact and not very responsive. They work out of Arizona with only a token presence in Australia as far as staff go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239411.html#msg239411

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Christoph1945
Bronze Member

Mood:Calm
Calm

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

670.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

C-Scope CS4PI + Maplins N87KA + Garrett Euuro Ace & ProPointer + MineLab Safari
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 11:52:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gozzo,
              that is the better lanyard fitting and I am sure it will last for many years. In the event that the lanyard wears out; you can just fit an other length of lanyard, chord, wire, or even string.
Even a length of string taped to the pp and tied to your belt can save a lot of heartache. You can imagine how I fealt when I got home after a days beach detecting and found that my pp was missing. For the whole of the drive back to the beach ( over an hour ) I was thinking that I would never see it again. I spent several hours on a dark moonless beach searching for my beloved pp; all without success. Next morning at dawn, and following a high tide, I returned at first light. I had walked past the little critter the night before whilst struggling by torchlight, on a dark and lonely beach. There was nothing but the sounds of the sea and the wind to keep me company that night. Oh, and the memory of the old story that a departed lighthose keeper haunted the area! The beach is called Talacre and you can zoom in on Google to get a good idea of what the place is like.

I was less bothered about the ghost and more concerned that I may bump into smugglers or poachers in the dark. Or, maybe, the local customs and police may think that I was up to no good at that time of night on a deserted beach. But, to quote the Bard, All Is Well That Ends Well! Me and my little pp are reunited; never to be parted ever again.

Chris   Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38719.msg239413.html#msg239413

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:55:47 am by Christoph1945 »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: