[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by LkyEgl
Before I go anywhere with this, let it be known that I will not argue! I say what I believe and if you don't accept my beliefs, big deal, that's on you. I'll still be here tomorrow, believing what I believe, until something happens to modify my belief. That said.........

Randyman has given a well thought out post and made some spot on observations. Actually, there is only one post in this thread so far that I totally disagree with.

And with your first sentence, you argue. You are posing the argument that you believe Randyman made valid points in his post.

What you really meant to say is that you will quarter no argument. You will not accept or discuss opposing viewpoints. That is not refusing to argue. That is refusing to discuss things in a rational way. That is not welcome here. If someone disagrees with you, they have exactly the same right to argue with you as you just did arguing in favor of Randyman's post.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128392.html#msg128392

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Audie
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:56:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

I believe dowsing does work, for certain people. I have watched my Father-inlaw find old wells and pipe lines that couldn't be seen by him or anyone else. He had no prior knowledge of the area or what was actually there. I don't have the ability myself, it seems, but either he does or his blind luck to finding things is remarkable. He uses 2 coat hangers, bent at 90 degrees, when he finds a pipe line they will swing out parallel to the line, when he looks for a specific spot , the rods will swing together showing the spot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128455.html#msg128455

Offline cuirava
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

620.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 10:12:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

well I am enjoying the pros and cons...just like a well its a deep subject!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128458.html#msg128458

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Audie
I believe dowsing does work, for certain people. I have watched my Father-inlaw find old wells and pipe lines that couldn't be seen by him or anyone else. He had no prior knowledge of the area or what was actually there. I don't have the ability myself, it seems, but either he does or his blind luck to finding things is remarkable. He uses 2 coat hangers, bent at 90 degrees, when he finds a pipe line they will swing out parallel to the line, when he looks for a specific spot , the rods will swing together showing the spot.

You'd be surprised how common sense and intuition plays a role in "finding" known objects underground. Subjected to scientific testing, your father-in-law would be surprised to learn it was his hard work and knowledge that located those items and not a silly pair of dowsing wands.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128460.html#msg128460

Offline therandymanTopic starter
Copper Member

Old, Fat and Lazy Need Not Apply!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, Ace 250
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 10:24:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rational Observer
You'd be surprised how common sense and intuition plays a role in "finding" known objects underground. Subjected to scientific testing, your father-in-law would be surprised to learn it was his hard work and knowledge that located those items and not a silly pair of dowsing wands.

Wait a minute...I am confused now..."common sense and intuition" can play a role?  Those sound suspiciously like unquantifiable characteristics that could be interpreted as "hokum and hocus pocus".  You might want to be careful there, buddy, as using those scientifically unproven words could lead to you having to modify your name.  Hmm..maybe from "Rational Observer" to "Slightly Irrational Observer".   Shocked  Just doesn't have the same ring to it though... Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128461.html#msg128461

"Loyalty above all, except Honor."

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by therandyman
Wait a minute...I am confused now..."common sense and intuition" can play a role?  Those sound suspiciously like unquantifiable characteristics that could be interpreted as "hokum and hocus pocus".  You might want to be careful there, buddy, as using those scientifically unproven words could lead to you having to modify your name.  Hmm..maybe from "Rational Observer" to "Slightly Irrational Observer".   Shocked  Just doesn't have the same ring to it though... Cheesy

Of course...that would be your opinion. Or, simply another anecdotal report.

Alternatively, your name could change to "therandygirl" using the same pseudo logic

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128464.html#msg128464

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, Ace 250
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rational Observer
Of course...that would be your opinion. Or, simply another anecdotal report.

Alternatively, your name could change to "therandygirl" using the same pseudo logic

Sheesh....touchy, touchy about that name, eh?  Ok, work with me here...focus like a laser beam...I am going to spell it out so I do not distract you again.   :Smiley How do "common sense and intuition" play a role in the gentleman's dowsing efforts?  Are you equating "common sense and intuition" with "hard work and knowledge" in finding things buried underground?  I really would like to know your thoughts on this.  Sorry if my little joke threw you off track and into "ad hominem" attack dog mode.   Kiss Just trying to inject a bit of lighthearted banter into an otherwise dry board. Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128467.html#msg128467

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sheesh....touchy, touchy about that name, eh?  Ok, work with me here...focus like a laser beam...I am going to spell it out so I do not distract you again.   :Smiley How do "common sense and intuition" play a role in the gentleman's dowsing efforts?  Are you equating "common sense and intuition" with "hard work and knowledge" in finding things buried underground?  I really would like to know your thoughts on this.  Sorry if my little joke threw you off track and into "ad hominem" attack dog mode.   Kiss Just trying to inject a bit of lighthearted banter into an otherwise dry board. Grin

I'd rather post about the topic, and not play the childish banter games.

Your jokes suck, as well as your Red Herring posts. You seem to be pointing the finger in the wrong direction when it comes to ad hominem attack dog mode.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128468.html#msg128468

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, Ace 250
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Off Topic Just to help you out a bit, an ad hominem attack is one that a weak debater uses to put his opponent on the defensive and divert attention from his weak response by attacking the individual's personal characteristics.  An example would be "That's just because you are fat." or another example "You have the ugliest hair I have ever seen." or this one even "Alternatively, your name could change to "therandygirl" using the same pseudo logic".  As you can see, my post does not contain any such personal attack but merely a warning that should you begin down the road of ascribing such things as "common sense and intuition" the same exalted level of scientific validity as "hard work and knowledge" then you might find yourself unable to rightfully maintain your same screen name when discussing such topics as dowsing.  I most certainly will apologize, however, for my attempts at humor if these weak sisters did in any way offend you, kind sir.

Now...back to the topic.

If you choose not to explain your post, I can certainly understand it as it might require more work than you want to do on a Saturday to clarify it.  However, should you choose not to  explain how you seem to believe "common sense and intuition" can assist in finding things underground while dowsing cannot, all of my gentle readers will have to assume that you are cherry picking exactly which phenomena you do believe in as opposed to the ones you do not believe in. 

Inquiring minds want to know...   Punishment

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128469.html#msg128469

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 11:56:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Off Topic Just to help you out a bit, an ad hominem attack is one that a weak debater uses to put his opponent on the defensive and divert attention from his weak response by attacking the individual's personal characteristics.  An example would be "That's just because you are fat." or another example "You have the ugliest hair I have ever seen." or this one even "Alternatively, your name could change to "therandygirl" using the same pseudo logic".  As you can see, my post does not contain any such personal attack but merely a warning that should you begin down the road of ascribing such things as "common sense and intuition" the same exalted level of scientific validity as "hard work and knowledge" then you might find yourself unable to rightfully maintain your same screen name when discussing such topics as dowsing.  I most certainly will apologize, however, for my attempts at humor if these weak sisters did in any way offend you, kind sir.

Now...back to the topic.

If you choose not to explain your post, I can certainly understand it as it might require more work than you want to do on a Saturday to clarify it.  However, should you choose not to  explain how you seem to believe "common sense and intuition" can assist in finding things underground while dowsing cannot, all of my gentle readers will have to assume that you are cherry picking exactly which phenomena you do believe in as opposed to the ones you do not believe in. 

Inquiring minds want to know...   Punishment

Sorry...Red Herrings and circular reasoning is overrated. I hope your "gentle readers" understand I refuse to engage in the childish banter. I am more than sure your "gentle readers" understand common sense and intuition, whereas you fail to comprehend. 

Posted on: November 27, 2010, 12:53:03 PM
You might want to be careful there, buddy, as using those scientifically unproven words could lead to you having to modify your name.  Hmm..maybe from "Rational Observer" to "Slightly Irrational Observer".   Shocked  Just doesn't have the same ring to it though... Cheesy

Oh....you seemed to have forgotten this ad hominem attack......or crappy joke.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19525.msg128472.html#msg128472

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: