[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So in what time of the year would that be? would they show as far down South as we are?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg238933.html#msg238933

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 06:13:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
So in what time of the year would that be? would they show as far down South as we are?

First of all, there are no "zones" where meteor showers can be seen or not seen based only on your location. There ARE zones based on the point of origin or apparent point of origin. The Geminids we just had appeared to originate in Gemini and radiate from that apparent point. That radiation motion means that they can be seen or fall to any point on earth. If Gemini is not visible to you as a constellation, for example, the meteors may seem to come from the horizon but the actual shower will be visible.

The reason you might not be seeing them is because you are not looking up at the right time or you might not have adjusted your vision to optimum. The best way to see them is to gather together a six pack of your favorite beer on ice in a cooler and relax in a dark part of the yard in an outdoor lounge chair, slowly sipping your beer while listening to your favorite radio station at night.

Go here for a complete list of astronomical events for 2013. Assuming the world doesn't end on Friday.

Please Register or Login

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2013.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg238957.html#msg238957

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:15:40 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Xavier, go to a bookstore next time you're in town and buy an astronomy book for kids.  It will have all the major meteor showers listed.  Meteor showers have times of peak activity on a regular basis every year.  Because of the direction of the Earth's rotation, after midnight is the best time to see them.

Meteor showers occur because the Earth passes throught the paths of comets.  Comets leave debris (mostly sand and pea sized rock) all along their paths.  In essence, they shed all the time.  The debris continues to follow the orbit path of the comet - comet need not be present because it left its sheddings all along the path!  Every year the Earth regularly passes through the debris orbits and the showers happen then.

Hope this helps!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg239010.html#msg239010

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not just comet debris although that seems to be most common. There's a lot of debris from asteroids as well and from other Kuyper belt objects from near Pluto.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg239015.html#msg239015

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
The best way to see them is to gather together a six pack of your favorite beer on ice in a cooler and relax in a dark part of the yard in an outdoor lounge chair, slowly sipping your beer

I like that LOL I often look at the night sky and I have seen on some occasions a falling star so I guess that I will follow your advice, get a lazy chair and spend the weekend's night out with the stars LOL could get quite expensive though.   
Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
Meteor showers occur because the Earth passes through the paths of comets.

In other words predicting the time we could see them should not be a problem and yet I have never heard them say any thing on the news.   Angry 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg239024.html#msg239024

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 07:19:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
In other words predicting the time we could see them should not be a problem and yet I have never heard them say any thing on the news.

Here is a prediction for you of when they will most likely occur. This is based on years of repeatable occurrences. Enjoy.
Go here for a complete list of astronomical events for 2013. Assuming the world doesn't end on Friday.

Please Register or Login

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2013.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg239066.html#msg239066

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Assuming the world doesn't end on Friday.

Grin Grin So here we go again the end of the world, Man don't these guts ever give up? thanks for the link GD I have book marked it and will try to keep up with it too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38710.msg239091.html#msg239091

Xavier

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: