[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline billderTopic starter
Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 32.0
Firefox 32.0

WWW Awards

whites prizm iii, whites coinmaster 6000, whites surfmaster ii
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:40:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Turquoise
By Bill Gallagher
720 Words
ok to reproduce not for profit in entirety w/credit

Turquoise occurs as many different types, and thats because each locale from which this stone derives imparts a discernible and unique personality to the stone.  The host rock of turquoise has a lot to do with specific characteristics of hardness and color, though turquoise forms in the same basic way, as a Hydrated Phosphate of Copper and Aluminum, in the same basic colors of blue and green, where ever it is found, and that is because of copper somewhere in the nearby vicinity.  It is the degraded forms of copper which actually give turquoise its color.  As an aside, though related, it is thought that a lot of this same degraded copper material may have also been directly responsible for the rediscovery of smelting, because the powders of malachite, azurite, chrysocolla, and even turquoise were probably used to color early pottery.  After the firing of the pottery there were surely metal droplets within the bottom of the furnaces, and this led to the Chalcolithic Period, which quickly became the Bronze Age.

Blue is by far the most common color of Turquoise, ranging from a very pale, almost whitish blue, to a dark sky blue, and this can also be witnessed by the fact that the very word Turquoise is synonymous with the color blue, even among people far removed from the basic understandings of this rock formation.  Green turquoise occurs occasionally and goes through periods of being acceptable, or hot, or not.  Right now we seem to be coming off a period where green turq was all the rage, and heading back towards deep dark blues as those types most in demand. The word Turquoise is probably rooted in the word Turk, denoting the Levantine traders who initially dealt in this rarity to Europeans.  The finest grade of Turquoise to this day is known as Persian grade, another reference to the earliest known deposits which were probably in and around modern day Iran. Some white turquoise has been found, which would be Hydrated Phosphate of Aluminum, without the copper content.  Although white turq is rare,  it is really beyond the scope of most turquoise cutters, who do not really care about a soft white rock when things like meerschaum and howlite are readily available and very inexpensive.

Overall turquoise as a formation is fairly rare.  It is considered to be a product of meteoric origin, which means rain.  Rainwater washing down through host rock caused further degradation, and secondary deposition which became turquoise.  I know.  It sounds funny, but there you have it.  No one was around to watch, so its really still a lot of guesswork, although turquoise definitely seems to be something of an anomaly, just looking at it, and the way it forms in both nodules and thin veins together.  Turquoise is crystalline in form, though visible crystals are extremely rare and high dollar as specimens.  The stone ranges downward in hardness from 5-6 to what is called chalk.  Chalk and hard chalk are very soft and the label tells the story here.  Most turquoise today is treated in some way, whether it be to harden it, deepen the color, or both.  Good hard natural turquoise commands a premium and is hard to get most of the time.

Some of the finer American Turquoise comes from Arizona and even New Mexico.  Morenci can be killer stuff, Kingman, Bisbee, Sleeping Beauty, Santa Rita(RARE)....they all have their high and low grades of course, and there are literally hundreds of Turquoise mines throughout the western United States.  I have seen some fine Morenci turquoise go for as little as $50.00 a pound, though the Bisbee, Sleeping Beauty, and Kingman are quite a lot more pricey than that, running into the hundreds of dollars per pound and up.   Some Arizona and New Mexican turquoise is mined from degraded feldspar deposits called Caliche (Cuh-lee-chee), a soft, corroded magmatic crystalline stucture, like orthoclase.  Some of this host matrix still possesses identifiable crystalline form.  The amount of silica or feldspar in these host matrices dictate the hardness of the Turquoise within, along with other traits which give each locale its signature types.  Also included in traits and types are the various inclusions which most turquoise will exhibit, such as the dark brown matrix common throughout the Hachita turquoise.  Lander county Nevada, home of the Royston type of Turquoise, The Northern Lights, Carico Lake and many others, is all very hard turquoise and many times mined from hard rock with jack hammers.  The material from Lander County usually starts around $500.00 per pound, and just gets higher and higher as the quality, size, and color improve.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278512.html#msg278512

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have some from the Hatchita area. 

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachita_Valley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278518.html#msg278518

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Most of the turquoise used by the Tiffany Company in the late 19th century and late 20th century came from a mine located between Cerrillos, New Mexico and Santa Fe, New Mexico.   I toured the mine about 20 or 25 years ago and have a few small nuggets of gem quality turquoise from there in my collection.  At that point the mine had been worked off and on for a few hundred years with clear evidence of mining by Native Americans prior to the arrival of the Spanish.   Much pretty than most of the pieces I've picked up in other locales since (but that's mostly my personal opinion)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278521.html#msg278521

Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 32.0
Firefox 32.0

WWW Awards

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tiffanys had many mines, the American mine in Hachita was another, but that turq is different than from the areas you describe...my favorites are the Lander county NV turqs, Carrico lake, Lander blue.....and I love Sleeping Beauty too.  Darling Darlene is my all time favorite.  So blue...i have a mining camp in Hachita, Homefire, I will be listing some Hachita turq with brown matrix at luxefaire.com tomorrow....b

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278536.html#msg278536

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:20:35 pm by billder, Reason: addition »

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Whatever the source, quality turquoise is a thing of beauty....Finding quality material even in known areas of production can be a real challenge though, which is part of the reason so much of the older (especially cheaper) jewelry was made with either reconstituted or otherwise treated jewelry.   Back in the old days when my grandpa lived on the Navajo reservation soaking lower quality stones in either vegetable oil or paraffin was a common trick of the unscrupulous.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278538.html#msg278538

Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 32.0
Firefox 32.0

WWW Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The darker small stuff is a variety of natural from all over the place, the lighter colored lime green spotted stuff is the Hachita I mined out west, I have about ten pounds left, it cuts nice stones as can be seen from some of the semi-finished pieces to the right of the pile...the large chunk of Hachita caliche is a specimen exhibiting well how the turq is formed and found in seams and layers....b

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg278544.html#msg278544

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC03174.JPG
DSC03177.JPG
DSC03187.JPG
DSC03191.JPG
DSC03195.JPG

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Offline j.michael
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 37.0.2062.103
Chrome 37.0.2062.103

Awards

CZ7a
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great article Bill,lots of interesting information,guess this has been a life long hobby ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57369.msg281424.html#msg281424

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: