[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dign4itTopic starter
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:00:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are many aspects to treasure hunting.  Understanding the treasure signs and symbols, as well as their interpretations, is arguably the most important ability to have if you want to have any sort of success in this hobby.  With this ability to understand these signs and symbols comes the ability to "spot" a treasure map, no matter what style of treasure map it is.  When I say "no matter what style of treasure map it is," I am referring to the many different styles that were created for the purpose of passing along information about mines/treasures in such a way as to guarantee that "outsiders" wouldn't have a clue as to the true information being passed along.  But, no matter what style of treasure map you have/find, you will see that all of these styles have one thing in common: they use the very same symbols and signs that you will find in the field.

The first thing that you need to know about are the many different styles that were created to be treasure maps, then we will go into the decoding process that allows you to "get to the mine/treasureroom."  I am going to go into three of these different styles in Part One, in no specific order.

#1) The Painting-Style Treasure map.  I have personally seen dozens of examples of this particular technique, and have deciphered at least four (4) of them.  With this technique you simply have a painting that seems like it's nothing more than just a painting of some sort of scenery.  Most times there will be a "distraction" within a painting style treasure map, a distraction that is meant to keep you, the outsider, from looking "deeper" into the painting and seeing the "true information."  The Mona Lisa is probably the most famous painting that has been "misread" by outsiders for hundreds of years. The outsiders look at her and wonder what she is smirking about yet, when looking over her shoulders, you can see the mountains in the background that have the very same treasure signs that you will find, for example, in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Spain, Africa, etc..
  These painting style treasure maps are everywhere, literally.  The Antiques Roadshow has them on once in awhile (obviously they have no clue as to what they're looking at).  Any art museum will have at least a few of these maps. 
  When one of Hitlers treasure vaults was found at the end of WWII, there were a massive amount of paintings found.  Yes, these paintings were valuable in their own respect, but many of these paintings were also treasure maps that lead to mines/treasure rooms. 
  I could go on and on about this painting-style of treasure map, but hopefully you get the point.

#2) Letter Style Treasure maps.  This style of treasure map is another of the most over-looked style of treasure map.  With this technique, a simple looking letter is used to relay information about mines and treasure rooms.  The decoding technique for the treasure maps are simple enough, but you need to know what symbols and signs to look for within the letter itself.  If you have a working knowledge of the treasure signs and symbols found in the field then you will have no trouble spotting a sign or symbol on a letter style treasure map that tells that "this letter leads to mine(s) and/or a treasure room."
  One of the most popular, and misunderstood, letter style treasure maps in American History is the letter written by Col. Travis, who, at the time, was defending the Alamo.  As is typical with all letter style maps, the topic of the letter was genuine and simple..."SEND ME SOME HELP!!!!"
However, the signs and symbols that tell you that this letter is an actual treasure map are abundant.  Once this letter is deciphered and the true information is "released," we find that Col. Travis was actually giving the locations to at least two treasure rooms. 
  The Beale Codes are another letter style treasure map.  But, in the case of the Beale Letter, you are given the true information along with the false leads.  In Travis's letter from the Alamo, you just need to know how to decode the letter.  But with the Beale Codes, knowing they were released/sold to the public, they took the "trickery' one step further.  The same process of decoding the Travis letter is used on the Beale letters, but the Beale letters actually, and INTENTIONALLY, put in many false leads.  It is these "built in" false leads that have kept this treasure location safe for many decades.
  There are hundreds of letter style treasure maps floating around on the internet, and the process of decoding these maps is done with three different and separate decoding techniques.

#3)  Furniture-Style Treasure map.  I am going to bring this style up simply because, even though it's somewhat rare, it is still out there to be found.  This style involves nothing more than incorporating a treasure map into a piece of furniture.  I have seen a half-dozen examples of this in 25 years, and all but one piece was sitting in a museum, the other was a table that was found in and antiques store, however, in all cases a good photo was more than sufficient in getting a copy of the treasure map.
Some maps were literally chiseled into the wood, in a couple of cases colored stone was used to create the actual map on the furniture.

There are at least six (6) more treasure map styles, and I will go into more of them in Part Two.
  If you have any questions, feel free to write to me or, if you want, feel free to call me at 1-712-571-0255.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg77704.html#msg77704

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

dign4it,
     I know it really isn't germane to this particular topic, but in one of your future posts could you show us HOW to decode a letter-style treasure map.....either using one where the treasure is already recovered or by decoding one or two elements from different examples that deal with different treasures.   That way we can learn the technique without you having to give away too much information on a specific treasure that you might be working on yourself.   For instance, I'd be interested in how you conclude from the Travis letter that there were TWO treasure rooms.

Thanks, 

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg77709.html#msg77709

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:54:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One of the most popular, and misunderstood, letter style treasure maps in American History is the letter written by Col. Travis, who, at the time, was defending the Alamo.  As is typical with all letter style maps, the topic of the letter was genuine and simple..."SEND ME SOME HELP!!!!"
However, the signs and symbols that tell you that this letter is an actual treasure map are abundant.  Once this letter is deciphered and the true information is "released," we find that Col. Travis was actually giving the locations to at least two treasure rooms.

Please explain how you interpret Travis letter into a treasure map? Being the was no money at the Alamo for sure not enough to full two even small rooms.

The Mona Lisa is probably the most famous painting that has been "misread" by outsiders for hundreds of years. The outsiders look at her and wonder what she is smirking about yet, when looking over her shoulders, you can see the mountains in the background that have the very same treasure signs that you will find, for example, in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Spain, Africa, etc.

First no recovery has ever been made using so called treasure signs and why would the signs be the same in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Spain, Africa, Your saying that treasure hoarders have a little black book of signs that they have all used for 1000 years.

Sorry BA I tried but I find this thread very misleading.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg77715.html#msg77715

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline dign4itTopic starter
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I certainly plan on explaining all of these styles.
  I understand that their are people who are hearing this information for the first time, and that it's a little hard to comprehend, especially the fact that these treasure signs are the same signs used at treasure/mine sites all around the world.
  This topic is only misleading to those who do not understand the facts, and these facts will be made very clear in future posts.
  My main goal in revealing this information is to get you to open up your minds to the vast world of treasure maps and the styles in which they can be found.
  I have not even touched the tip of the proverbial "ice berg."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg77739.html#msg77739

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

so we will talk in circles and will not answer

Please explain how you interpret Travis letter into a treasure map?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg77741.html#msg77741

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

He certainly has some valid areas for research but they are most assuredly not treasure maps in any form. Perhaps he's confusing the word "map" with lead? A treasure lead can take may forms and sometimes even sneaks up on you.

I related an event that lead me to a small but high value cache from a recorded diary event which I actually found in a woman's weekly magazine many years ago. I'll repeat it here briefly.

I was reading a diary account of hardships during the late 1800s. In one entry, there was much glee from the diary writer as a young girl in getting a new dress. Her sister got one too. This was their first store bought dress ever and I presumed that daddy may have come into some money. Evidently, he did. I contacted the woman who had submitted the diary which was her great grandmother's diary. She still lived on the family homestead and invited me to search for anything I thought might be of family historical value. I found great-great granddad's cache among other things and presented them all to her over a few days of searching. Let's just say it was most rewarding for all concerned.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg78071.html#msg78071

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hmmm, if I were in a situation where I knew I was likely to die and I had stashed a couple of caches somewhere, I can see myself using a coded letter or journal entry to convey the information to my next of kin.   Heck when it comes to keeping a journal, I might do that anyway just so I'd be able to find my way back later.   I'd certainly pick that method over maps and "treasure markers"  (although I might have to toss in some special marks of my own for it to work---but I sure wouldn't use the standard marks and I wouldn't spell them out in clear text in my journal or letter)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12053.msg78084.html#msg78084

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: