[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coloma goldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:07:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

After reading many posts from different people on various websites regarding which detector is better than the other, I've come to the conclusion that one really cannot put a lot of weight on these testimonials..  I have searched some properties near my home in southern France and found coins. After I have done a 'thorough' search, I have decided to do a 'once more' search and found additional coins... How could this be?? I did a 'thorough search'.  The only thing different is that I either did a slower search or perhaps it could have been that I did some minor tweaking with the MD?! Perhaps the ground/air condition was a little different or that there is more or less moisture in the soil?  After having done a 'once more' search, I waited a week or so. Getting a little bored and seeing the property (again) right across the street, I decided to 'tweak' my unit a little more (different adjustments). I then do a "last time" search. What happened? Yep, I found some more coins!!

When people give testimonials that they searched the same ground that another person searched and got better results and then come to the conclusion that it is because they have a better detector, then I seriously question their conclusion. Perhaps it is because they, on that given day, had their MD adjusted more appropriately for the conditions present or they were doing a better sweep, or ......

Yes, there can be some detectors better than others. However, I would caution many that it may not always be the detector but rather the detectorist.   That is where I focus primarily as I have a lot to learn..

Is there yet more coins in that ole field? Should I search it just once more?!.... We'll see.
Coloma Gold

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204130.html#msg204130

Offline Tamitoys
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

315.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F2 Whites MXT  Minelab Excalibur II
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for your posting. Being new to the hobby its good to know these things. I think your right about its just about as much the operator and the right metal detecor. Well have a great holiday. Tami

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204132.html#msg204132

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

One thing too is what you use it for. Yes I like my AT Pro, but sometimes on tot lots I pull out the Ace 250 for ease of use and weight. Especially if I already hit the area before and just looking for new stuff close to the surface.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204133.html#msg204133

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by coloma gold
Yes, there can be some detectors better than others. However, I would caution many that it may not always be the detector but rather the detectorist.   That is where I focus primarily as I have a lot to learn..

Amen to that.

Quote:Posted by ghola
One thing too is what you use it for. Yes I like my AT Pro, but sometimes on tot lots I pull out the Ace 250 for ease of use and weight. Especially if I already hit the area before and just looking for new stuff close to the surface.

And Amen to that also.

A workman IS limited by his tools, especially once he has reached the master level----However, more often than not the fault is not so much the tool's as it is the workman who has not yet fully learned his tool.    And the more I swing the detector (and the older I get) the more I look at detector weight and ergonomic comfort when evaluating two "similar" detectors.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204138.html#msg204138

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I couldn't agree more with you Coloma Gold!  I think you are right on with your evaluation of detectors and which one is best!  It has much more to do with the experience of the operator than with the piece of equipment.

I know today, that I could take my old Compass X-70 out and do much better with it than than the newest detector I bought simply because I have had it so long and used it for so many years, and I know how to read it and decipher what information it is feeding me.  It has almost become an extension of myself when I use it.  In my opinion, that counts a lot more than the actual metal detector I am using.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!                Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204156.html#msg204156

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well like everyone seems to agree it comes down to the operator in most cases. All us old timers know are have known a guy that out hunts everyone with his 200 dollar detector. Why because he has taken the time to learn his tools

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204166.html#msg204166

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Well like everyone seems to agree it comes down to the operator in most cases. All us old timers know are have known a guy that out hunts everyone with his 200 dollar detector. Why because he has taken the time to learn his tools

Yea... or my wife who always finds goodies without even carrying a detector!!  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28876.msg204240.html#msg204240

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: