[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hoochie papaTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Has anyone done a one on one comparison between the excalibur and the tiger shark ? Last week I was in Arizona and stop in a metal detector dealer who carried many brands. He was telling me he felt the tiger shark was hands down the better detector. This dealer sold Minelab ,Tesoro, Fisher, etc. Does any of you brothers and sisters out there have any comment?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg99717.html#msg99717

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey papa I have been doing a lot of research on the tiger and sand shark to replace my sea hunter. Out of all the water detectors I have used dollar for dollar I vote for the sand shark its a PI detector which works best in saltwater and wet sand

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg99722.html#msg99722

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I gotta give the nod to Tiger Shark-for many reasons, cost, weight,warranty,and some other reasons, efficiency- Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg99750.html#msg99750

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg99891.html#msg99891

Offline George-CT
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In fresh water, I usually grab the Tiger Shark and the Excal is the backup.  If I'm in a heavy iron area, like folks burning pallets in the winter on ice, and a section I hunt is covered in nails, I use the Excal.  The Tiger is better for small gold and very fine chains...

In salt water, hands down, the Excalibur is the better one.  At least in Connecticut, the Tiger in salt water is useless....To much noise, waves set it off, if you turn down the sensitivity to where it will hunt salt water its almost pointless to have it.  Those are my results with both machines.  I really like both of them when it the type of water they can handle.  The excaliber is fine in fresh water, fact I usually stop at a fresh water lake on the way home from ocean hunting to flush it out good and hunt with it for a bit.  It misses fine gold, tiny ankle chains and even some small crosses. I have them both with me all the time so I do compare them.

These are my results....

George-CT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg101027.html#msg101027

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:24:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi George. You said both md's work well in fresh water but you still prefer the Tiger Shark. Why is that ? Would'nt you get more depth with the Excalibur?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg101031.html#msg101031

Offline George-CT
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

IN fresh water only the Tiger is better on small gold, ear ring backs, tiny fine chains. The Excalibur is fine on rings, or a chain with a pendant on it.  Even large chains, but real fine chains, not so in my experience.  I've had both on the beach and gone and got it.....nada on the tiny stuff....   A lot of people don't like the sounds of the Tiger Shark.  Kinda sounds like
a strangled duck...  I like it.  Once you learn it, and my buddy Viking Ned and I did, its great.
Here is a tip, hunt those really soft Ticks if you get one.... 

Excal is a great machine.  Salt water, I want nothing else.  I usually after rings and it does the job.  Does great on watches also and coins....but not really small stuff.  On ocassion I have gotten small items but usually there is something larger attached to it...   I pretty much hunt in the silent mode and dig everything..  Found my eyes are the best discriminator yet...

Good hunting....   George-CT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg101034.html#msg101034

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:09:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks George. The info you gave me is real helpful. Happy hunting to you and Viking Ned.
George-CT I have some more questions for you about these 2 detectors. Of course everyone's input is welcome.
I recently came across some interesting facts and statistics on gold and rings. The average women has 4 pieces of jewelry. The average for a man is 1/2 piece. So thus more women's items would be lost. If the Tiger shark is great at finding small item such as a women's ring ( hopefully with a big diamond in it ) intern would be more valuable than a man's plain wedding band. It seems the Tiger shark would be the only choice to use in fresh water.
Tesoro talks about a salt mode for the Tiger shark, Do you find that this mode still does not allow the MD to work in the salt water?
Is the Excalibur not able to pick up the small women's ring's?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg102252.html#msg102252

Offline George-CT
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:39:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hoochie papa
Thanks George. The info you gave me is real helpful. Happy hunting to you and Viking Ned.
George-CT I have some more questions for you about these 2 detectors. Of course everyone's input is welcome.
I recently came across some interesting facts and statistics on gold and rings. The average women has 4 pieces of jewelry. The average for a man is 1/2 piece. So thus more women's items would be lost. If the Tiger shark is great at finding small item such as a women's ring ( hopefully with a big diamond in it ) intern would be more valuable than a man's plain wedding band. It seems the Tiger shark would be the only choice to use in fresh water.
Tesoro talks about a salt mode for the Tiger shark, Do you find that this mode still does not allow the MD to work in the salt water?
Is the Excalibur not able to pick up the small women's ring's?

Excalibur see's rings just fine, even small ones, how small I've never paid attention to but I've found plenty of lady,s rings with it.     But the Tiger, on small gold, rings, ear ring studs, even the clips that hold them on, lead shot from shotgun shells, small cross's, small pendants, and very fine ankle chains, I'd take the Tiger every time, IN FRESH WATER....   Salt, Excalibur is my choice....  My tiger, is useless in salt water...  Maybe its New England waters mineral content, who knows.   The Stingray works fine, but its a different set up, PI I thing....   I have buddies, also with Tigers, no luck in salt water with it.  To much chatter, even small waves will make it chatter...  If  I turn down the sensitivity enough ot make it work, it might see a nickel in the water at 1 inch...     Break back out the Excalibur, I'm enjoying myself again, and finding stuff the tiger missed, in salt water.     Fresh water, the Tiger picks up what the Excal missed in things other than rings.   ON occasion,  The Excal will pick up chains, but in most instances they will have a pendant on them, big clasp, or the chain was on MR. T when he lost it....

Check with folks in your area and see what they are having good results.   I know I really tired to get the Tiger to hunt in salt water.   Even called Tesoro...Forget who I talked to but they told me they test them in a bucket of salt water for setup....  That has nothing to do with real world salt water conditions.   I have heard of guys being able to hunt with them in some areas down south, but thats much good to me... I Hunt, Connecticut and Rhode Island salt water beaches, summer and winter, and Charleston, SC...  Results are the same at all of those beaches for me.......
For me, the Tiger is now way a serious salt water machine....  Fresh water yes.  Not sure where you live, but your welcome to try both of mine if your near me......Then you be the judge.....

George-CT
e

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg102257.html#msg102257

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

George I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me in this post. Very kind of you to offer to let me try you md's. I live in Alabama. Home of the giant oil slick. Lucky for me I'm in the north west corner and on the Tennessee river. So I only fore see fresh water hunting at this time.
From the info that you have given me I'm going to purchase an excal. Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15505.msg102270.html#msg102270

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: