[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline atomicsocalTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:53:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Everyone,
I'm fairly new to this and after reading alot of posts on here and other forums, I realize that location is the most important aspect of your coin hunting success. I've been doing some research on the history of my locale and found the 1st market (store) was opened here around 1870. The streets in the area have some vacant lots that don't appear to have ever been built on. So I go to one of the lots, no fences or signs are posted. 1 hour into the hunt, I a find a slaymaker padlock, at 4". I saw a similar one on e-bay (vintage brass slaymaker padlock) but no price or date. About 4 feet from the lock I found a half of a metal (rang as nickel on the F2) toy police badge (junior police), about 6". Using a highly sophisticated method of dating known as R.A.G. (rough ass guess) i say 1930-1940 for the slaymaker and 1950's for the toy police badge. I only covered approx. 400 sq ft of the lot. Is this a good indication that I could be in an area that may have some old coins? I figure if i'm finding stuff that is old, maybe i could be getting close. Please any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg96831.html#msg96831

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh Yesss- If it was me in that area, I would be digging every signal,DIGGEMALL Wise Wise Wise Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg96832.html#msg96832

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Bugar
Oh Yesss- If it was me in that area, I would be digging every signal,DIGGEMALL Wise Wise Wise Detecting

I'm definitely going back there tomorrow. There is alot of trash, but I'm definitely trying to dig every questionable signal. I'm disc'ing out iron but nothing else. There are LOTS of soda cans and tabs/caps, so i'm learning how they register and sound, only now I'm afraid to miss something! I guess patience is a virtue. I'll try to post some pics soon of the old lock and badge. Maybe I'll find something more interesting tomorrow. Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg96838.html#msg96838

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:36:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When it comes to metal-detecting, patience most definitely is a virtue (and it's NOT its own reward, it's what lets you reap rewards).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg96853.html#msg96853

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here are the pics of some stuff I found in a vacant corner lot on the street which one of the the first stores were opened here in 1870. Nothing crazy but some neat stuff, I think. I found a penny but only 1979. Any info would be appreciated. I still have about 2/3s of the lot left to hunt.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg97004.html#msg97004

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

md finds close-up.jpg
md finds5-30-10.jpg

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You're right on target.  People lose coins everywhere and if you are finding old neat stuff like this your first coin is just a few feet or minutes away.  Coins had more value back in the old days and a lot of men carried little pouches to keep from losing their change, but there were many who just had 'em loose in their pockets.  Thank goodness for us THer's the idea of a man carrying a coin purse tucked away in his pocket never caught on ha.  So go for it and keep your first coin as a prize memento to put in your display case. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg97358.html#msg97358

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks so much for your info and motivational words, joe. I've got easily 6-7 hours left to hunt on this spot. So much trash that it gets hard (it's on a street corner) to dig every signal, but I keep finding little items to keep me going! I'm wondering if I should try the 4" coil, (Fisher F2) but I don't want to lose any depth. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks again, Scott

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg97442.html#msg97442

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah Scott go ahead and use your small coil.  Using a small coil is less tiring and you can get closer to steel poles without getting a false reading.  It's easier to find small targets too with a small coil.  Try it and see if you are making head way or just spinning your wheels by digging more tiny worthless targets.  What ever you decide...it beats watching day time TV doesn't it?  You have in your hands a Time Machine capable of giving you a treasure from the past.  It has been laying there since it was lost, thrown away or deliberately buried.  Indiana Jones keeps trying, you should too...you never know what you will dig up next.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg98587.html#msg98587

Offline upsmanpa
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:34:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

cool finds, keep digging!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg98593.html#msg98593

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rattlesnake Joe
Yeah Scott go ahead and use your small coil.  Using a small coil is less tiring and you can get closer to steel poles without getting a false reading.  It's easier to find small targets too with a small coil.  Try it and see if you are making head way or just spinning your wheels by digging more tiny worthless targets.  What ever you decide...it beats watching day time TV doesn't it?  You have in your hands a Time Machine capable of giving you a treasure from the past.  It has been laying there since it was lost, thrown away or deliberately buried.  Indiana Jones keeps trying, you should too...you never know what you will dig up next.
Joe , thanks for the info on the coil. I went back yesterday and was digging alot of larger trash (mostly soda cans) not much interesting. I will definitely try the smaller coil. I still have just under 1/2 of the lot left to hunt. Maybe I will have better luck with the 4".  Yes, I would much rather be outdoors swinging and digging, than watching TV. Also, thanks for the encouraging words, upsman. Scott

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15107.msg98891.html#msg98891

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: