[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline JerdogTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:55:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know of a small farmstead that is reduced to two flat piles of brick about 6 ft. around and a limestone lined , hand dug cistern about 40 feet away. There was a small house and a tiny shed used as a barn when there was a structure. The buildings were tended by two old women (sisters) who inherited the property from their father. They lived there all their lives and were in their 70's when both died in the early 30's. They dispised banks and carried their money with them in a pail where ever they went. The amount of cash was significant. My mother who was a child then says she got close enough one time to see in the pail and it appeared to be all gold coins.
This place was in the middle of a section, here in SE kansas. There was a dirt trail for wagon traffic that dead ended at this property. It is of course all over-grown now. No evidence the was ever a house there except for on flat rusty piece of metal that was part of a roof and I found it 4 inches down under a web of tree roots and rotted vegetation and spring time grasses.

Anyone have suggestions for how to conduct a search of this place. Where have others found the proverbial "Mason Jar", secreeted during the depression years? How does one search a old cistern that is full of water? I am looking for suggestions before I start.
Jerry in Kansas

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17645.html#msg17645

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

GAR ft..jpg

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:26:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well...as long as yuo know where the buildings were or know where the foundations if any are....some good places to look could be:

Around the perimeter of the foundations and large trees.

Cornerstones of buildings.

Along fence rows  and fence posts...corners and middle posts may have been good hiding spots.

Around wells if any and just inside the top of well up to an arms length possibly would be a good place to check as well.

If they had a barn check the area of the barn very careffully...many things were "disposed" of or "secreted away" in barns.  Some farmers and others not trusting banks in that time would sometimes hide a small cache of money near the corner of the building for quick access.

If you could find where the outhouse was this would also be a good place to check.

In and around where the fireplace would or could have been.  Sometimes items were hidden under the stones or bricks of the fireplace.

Along any paths or trails that you know of or could find on the piece of property.

If you could come up with a photo of the house that was there pay attention to where the windows were.  Sometimes people would bury a cache just under a window outside so they could keep an eye on it so to speak.  Sometimes they made the cache site within fiew of the window so they could keep an eye on it from inside if need be.

These are just a few ideas to get you started.  People hide things any and everywhere you can think of.  It may even pay off to take the time and just go over the whole place with a fine tooth comb although this could be very time consuming.    About the only other thing that I can think of right off hand is to never expect or assume anything when looking for a cache...if there was one there it may still be anmywhere there or it may have been recovered long ago.

Hope this gives you a few ideas on where to start.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17652.html#msg17652

Stringfrenzy

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 12:12:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

good ideas String also look for larger rocks that might look out of place

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17661.html#msg17661

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:30:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by outback
good ideas String also look for larger rocks that might look out of place

Thanks Ouback.  The looking for large rocks that may seem out of place is also a very good point.  People would often use large rocks or boulders as a permanent landmark of sorts to either hide the cache next to or help them determine where it had been buried somewhere near it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17679.html#msg17679

Stringfrenzy

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 07:35:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Outback nd Stringfrenzy. There are no rocks here just mud when wet and fine hard clay when dry. I have not been able to make out a foundation yet and noone remembers where the out house was. I'll try to detect it with a larger coil. The barn was more of a shed.  Just big enough for a single cow that lived out her existence inside only. The house was small, one open room,1 bedroom and a loft-attic. I found some bits of barbed wire in the ground in an apparent straight line so maybe thats a old fence line. I appeciate you both taking the time to help me out, I'm sort of new to this. But my body is a lot older. The ticks and chiggers are out now so I need to pursue this before the grass is tall and the snakes are about. Thanks again.
Jerry in Kansas

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17682.html#msg17682

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

No problem.  I hope the information proves to be helpful and wish the best of luck to you in your hunt.  Let us know what you find if you get out to the site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17685.html#msg17685

Stringfrenzy

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 09:50:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jerry,
I'm originally from SE Ks - Erie. My grandfather used his chicken house as a bank as the chickens provided a nice alarm system particularily after dark. Think possums were the only things that ever set off the alarm and they weren't interested in his stash  Smiley Most rural homes had a few chickens for daily eggs so you might luck out any place on the property.

My grandfather taught me about post hole banks, too, so check along areas where there was fencing like Stringfrenzy suggested. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17692.html#msg17692

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:02:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sue; Ilive not too far from Erie, a couple of miles north and west of McCune. Thanks for your input. Now if it would just dry up a bit. 10 inches of rain scince Monday,
Thanks Jerry of SE Kansas

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17693.html#msg17693

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 10:15:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Jerry, That is close - just E of Parsons. Wow that's a lot of rain in a short period - hope the Neosho isn't flooding. Good luck on getting your site hunted - with that much moisture, it's gonna get overgrown with grass and weeds in no time. Sue

PS the star is cool.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2076.msg17698.html#msg17698

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 10:18:01 pm by Sweet Sue »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: