[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Look here!   Gary has done them and they work quite well.  He even sells them ready made at a good price.

I know what your talking about.   It looks like a old time Am Radio antenna.   Inter woven over an cut form.

He has one in the site some place.   Can't find it.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Metal/Metal.htm

Posted on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:16 PM
Because of the way there Wound, the C is quite low.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189227.html#msg189227

Offline xavierTopic starter
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes Homefire it's because of the low C that I decided to try this kind of coil but I have found a disadvantage with it. GD thanks for all the info but could you tell me if there are any particular rules to follow when making this kind of coil? 

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189261.html#msg189261

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Basically, it is one terrific receiver antenna and a not-so-hot transmitter antenna. Your success is based on using a high amount of power for transmitting and it being very sensitive as a receiver antenna. You have something in your favor though. Since the same antenna is being used as both, the orientation of the fields is perfect making it the best kind of match possible.

A way to improve your system might be to increase the field in the vertical orientation by making a separate transmitter antenna that would fit inside of the receiver antenna. To protect the receiver circuitry, you'd need to switch the receiver signal off when the transmitter was doing its thing. The deeper you can get the transmitter signal, the better your target's inductive pulse will look to the receiver giving you far greater depth and even smaller target recognition. This is where a PIC chip would be handy to control all the timing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189387.html#msg189387

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:18:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD funny that you should mention the PIC chip as that is what I am using not an easy task though but extremely interesting the funny thing is the more you tend to muck things up the more you seem to learn but it can get expensive. I am working on a development board for this project. I finished the design last night but must still go over it once that is done it will be a question of getting all the components and PCB (and to think this is all your fault LOL) Would you then suggest to use a normal jumble wound coil for the TX and a spider web coil for the RX also in relation to the TX coil what should the inductance of the RX coil be?

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189411.html#msg189411

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your inductance will be the same for both coils since the circuit was designed to that impedance. Look into using a solid state switch for turning off the input to the receiver when the transmitter is on full power from a pulse. This will prevent the receiver from literally blowing up. The high voltage spike induced into the receiver coil could burn out the diodes and pump straight into the first stage of amplification. Just tap off the pulse control for the transmitter and open the input to the receiver prior to the diodes while the transmitter is working. The solid state switch should be a small part but select a high voltage device. Current will be miniscule but the voltage spike will be very high.

Remember that the transmitter pulse will be felt in both the metal objects in the ground and the nearby receiver coil. Yes, mucking around is expensive. Just have a look one day in my reject box of circuits that went from the drawing board to prototype and failed. I keep them all, along with documentation, just to make sure I don't do the same thing twice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189456.html#msg189456

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 04:15:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great thanks GD now that I have some weapons I will attack the problem. I really think that this will be a fun project can't wait to get started so if I go MIA you know where to find me LOL

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189493.html#msg189493

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
Great thanks GD now that I have some weapons I will attack the problem. I really think that this will be a fun project can't wait to get started so if I go MIA you know where to find me LOL

Over here they say you are "elbows out and bum in the air" which is a perfect description for a man hard at work on a problem.

Above all, enjoy yourself. When you have a worthwhile project for a PIC, it is much more fun than making LEDs blink.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189504.html#msg189504

Let's Talk Treasure!

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Grin But do you know how happy I was when I got my first led to blink LOL it's like the birth of your first born and it is truly breaking the ice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189506.html#msg189506

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I absolutely know that joy all right. Yesterday, I was working on a program to communicate between two PIC devices using a WiFi USB device. That part works perfectly with full handshaking. The bit I am working on is not troublesome but tedious. I'm building a parser (human language interface) for the computer side of things which can be translated by the PIC system. I have to build the interpreter into the device so it can control up to 255 functions such as switching, motor control, lights and sense a variety of inputs too. Full reporting of system status is also required. All quite easy to do but the parser cannot make a mistake or there could be fatal (not in human terms - in machine terms) consequences if a command is missed or misinterpreted.

The tediousness of testing requires me to enter words into the parser that would not normally be sent to it. I am using a full dictionary of 300,000 words to test it automatically and recording the results. Like I said, tedium to the max. Necessary, though. The parser is able to parse up to 4 commands in a string. A string of "switch tk01 full throttle" would be a typical command. The word "fully" cannot be used but unless you train the parser, it could be accidentally send and interpreted. I'm sure you get the idea.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189510.html#msg189510

Let's Talk Treasure!

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

So you too are busy having bad dreams LOL the thing is at the end of the day when it works to your satisfaction you can say with pride that you made it not your apprentice LOL did that once or twice. By the way I got caught out like a child, my detector was unstable very at times and I could not figure out why. At times it was great the funny thing was that it would start to behave when the battery got low well to cut a long story short it was the plug from the control box to the coil I swear that I will never again buy a plug that costs $2.00 although they did look quite good having said that I replaced the plug with a high quality one now the detector is a stable as a rock. This is so stupid I could kick my self, it took me close to two months to figure this one out.

All the best
Xavier         PS I'm sure that you will come right with your project soon.

Posted on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:29 PM
By the way how do you get the machine to differentiate between the word FULL and FOOL ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26821.msg189598.html#msg189598

Xavier

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: