[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So Electro Magnetic?

EMF Not RF?

EMF Can Penitrate the Shield that keeps out the Nasty RF and Shunts it to Ground?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253810.html#msg253810

Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Electrostatic. A field like that which builds up in a relay or solenoid. A Tesla coil is an extreme example of an electrostatic field. A metal detector TX coil and field have no chance of transmitting across a room with any degree of repeatability. An EMF field does in most cases, unless it is snubbed. A capacitive start AC motor is an example of a snubbed EMF where almost all of the energy is converted to either motion or heat. Heat is considered a loss in motor terms.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253812.html#msg253812

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kabier2
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Sudan

437.00 Gold
View Inventory
abuasaia
Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi as i remember any AC (from low freq. to high freq.)threw a coil will build electromagnet. if its totally confined like in transformers solenoids motors
all this em is used for motion or producing magnetic field. then if not it will produce electromagnetic wave like in rf transmitters were it use space to travel.in our case in detectors we are sending this wave to Earth which is an absorber of this field. that is way we use low freq. for ib and pulses for pi. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253829.html#msg253829

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kabier2
it will produce electromagnetic wave like in rf transmitters were it use space to travel.in our case in detectors we are sending this wave to Earth which is an absorber of this field. that is way we use low freq. for ib and pulses for pi.

It's an electrostatic field, not an RF field. There are fundamental differences in a field used as a sensing field and one used to broadcast. We are not broadcasting. We are creating a field to set up eddy currents inside of metal objects so we can sense them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253831.html#msg253831

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kabier2
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Sudan

437.00 Gold
View Inventory
abuasaia
Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

well RF means radio freq. which is not used in detectors but the is the same electromagnetic phenomena a field for low freq. a wave for radio freq. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253833.html#msg253833

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 05:49:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

well RF means radio freq. which is not used in detectors but the is the same electromagnetic phenomena a field for low freq. a wave for radio freq.

RF is designed to emit and travel great distances using the two components of a radio wave. The electrical component and the magnetic component. They are 90 degrees from each other in physical orientation. If you hold your hand out with your index finger pointing away from you, your thumb up to the sky and your middle finger to your left or right, you will get the orientation. The index finger will indicate the directiion of RF radiation travel, your thumb indicates the orientation of the electrical component as it travels along the direction of travel and your middle finger will indicate the magnetic component. This is the "rule of thumb" of the expression. Marconi was the first to use it as a descriptor for an RF signal.

In a metal detector coil, there is only one field and that is an electrostatic field generated by a pulse of sine waves which, because they are alternating, turn a static field on or off using voltage but no current to speak of to propel the wave. Therefore, it is not at all like an RF signal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253857.html#msg253857

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep GD. Well said. The E and H fields are 90 degrees out. The E field usually designates the polarization type of the wave front. Metal detectors use the E field only. Built a detector in the early 70s that had 2 overlaid coils and used a complete wrapped tinfoil shielding system. The shielding was very effective in reducing extraneous noise. Remember wrapping braid for a distance on the wrap to allow soldering.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253871.html#msg253871

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the comment Mudflap. Something I neglected to mention is that an RF antenna is a highly AC reactive element cut to the right size to develop equal fields and therefore obtain great distances of transmission while a TX coil is part of a closed loop, improperly tuned tank circuit that emits a field that is basically leakage. In a perfectly tuned tank circuit, there would be no leakage at all. Zero. It is the coil mismatch, precisely tuned to that mismatch, that gives us a field we can use to detect metal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253875.html#msg253875

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kabier2
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Sudan

437.00 Gold
View Inventory
abuasaia
Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi and i need yr comments for the alu. foil shield i used for idx-pro cc 24cm coil i followed DON way as using foam for the coil form i posted pictures in the geotech1 idx-pro thread

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253893.html#msg253893

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 06:41:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi and i need yr comments for the alu. foil shield i used for idx-pro cc 24cm coil i followed DON way as using foam for the coil form i posted pictures in the geotech1 idx-pro thread

If you are adressing me, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46394.msg253901.html#msg253901

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: