[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coinhunter8898Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Spectra v3, DFX, EagleII
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:05:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Has any of you made an extension cable for a DFX. I am making a hip mount and need a longer cable. Thanks in advance. Pray

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91158.html#msg91158

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm fairly certain that this has been asked before. Rather than have another threaded topic on this question, please use the search block at the top right corner of this page.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91181.html#msg91181

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Spectra v3, DFX, EagleII
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks
Will give it a try. Sorry I didn't do that first.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91186.html#msg91186

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I tried to search for it and found nothing at all discussing DXF. This cannot be correct because we've had lots of discussions on this issue. I'll be reporting this as a bug in the site search feature.

Getting to your question, take your coil down to the local electronics part store and ask for an in-line male and female connector pair that matches what you have on the coil. Then, buy a length of multicore shielded wire to connect the two. Make it a little longer than you need it to be and make sure the wires go from pin to pin as it lays flat on the table. They're usually colored (the wires) so you can see the connections are correct. You'll need to be able to solder so if you can't, you may need help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91290.html#msg91290

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:30:46 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Spectra v3, DFX, EagleII
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the information. I will take the coil down to the electronics store and see if they can match up the connectors. Appreciate the help

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91291.html#msg91291

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have done extensions on older Whites detectors. Mostly 6 or 7 foot extensions. I cut the cable and soldered in new similar cable making sure to redo the ground foil and braid. Used heat shrink tubing over each solder joint and more heat shrink on the whole splice. I filled the last heat shrink tubing with silicone and then shrank it down also. The tubing went about 4 inches past the splice. Never had any problem. Today there is some nice waterproof stuff out there. Check out maybe 3M or Raychem. There is also a splice called cold shrink that is a tube with a plastic spiral in it. After installing it you pull the spiral out and the tube shrinks on its own. I am assuming you don't mind cutting and splicing the cable. The other option is using connectors same as the detector and trying to waterproof them.

Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91293.html#msg91293

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cutting the cable and extending it is an option but it is permanent. An extension cable, properly built, means you can change your mind someday. Plus, if you later decide to upgrade or sell your machine, it doesn't look like it belonged to Frankenstein. Insteae it becomes a feature for selling it. Cutting the coil cable will also void your warranty, if you still have one on that machine. White's has always been known to ignore expired warranty issues as long as the machine is not physically damaged.

On that same topic, White's once sent a friend of mine a brand new electronics section for one he ran over with his car. The replacement had a huge blemish on the side of the box where the anodizing when horribly wrong but they only charged him for postage and they even worded it like this. "If you wish, you can reimburse us for postage." Which he did. Fortunately, when he ran over the box, it slid and only crushed the box and not the tubing or coil.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14285.msg91297.html#msg91297

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: