[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline steviewhiteTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab excalibur, Minelab Explorer II, Sovereign, Homebrew Surfmaster
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone have an old excalibur board that is damaged from water that may have a good processor.  Mine works in disc mode, but will not work in pinpoint mode.  I have traced it to the processor Port D that is open.  I would be willing to pay for any old excalibur parts.  Thanks steviewhite

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134653.html#msg134653

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WOW! how did you determine it's the Processor?

Are those boards covered with the Comforment Paint too?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134656.html#msg134656

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That port is a programmed pull up port and the internal resistor may be the culprit. On a long shot, tie a 10k resistor to Vcc and see if that fixes the problem. The ports are open collector ports with an internal pull up which can be switched on or off.

Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134662.html#msg134662

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:20:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Homefire,  The boards are covered with a clear sealer but can be penetrated for testing by pushing through it with sharp test leads.  I purchased the detector from someone who had hooked it up backwards to the battery.  It burnt the audio section up and burnt part of the power supply section up.  I have repaired both of those sections and it works great on disc., but will not switch to pinpoint.  One of the input registers on the processor has a pin PD1 that is open.  That is where it is switched to pinpoint.  I use the pinpoint all the time so I need to get another processor and install it.  These detectors are very difficult to repair due to the triple board layout, but I jump in and get my feet wet.  Can't stand to send anything back to the factory for repairs.  Ok, have a good one.  stevie

Posted on: December 30, 2010, 04:14:50 PM
Hello Golddigger1950,  I know from your comment that you really know the excalibur circuitry.  I have already tried the pull-up and pull- down on this pin, without any change.  Man thats a shame that all functions of the processor works fine but the one function of switching to pinpoint is faulty.  I have access to the 44 pin PLCC, but no firmware.  I'm sure it is security bit protected.  I would love to program my own processor for it.  Would buy one, it I could.  Getting detectors ready for this coming summer.  Any help is appreciated, my friend.  Thanks, Stevie

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134683.html#msg134683

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:35:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by steviewhite
Hello Golddigger1950,  I know from your comment that you really know the excalibur circuitry.  I have already tried the pull-up and pull- down on this pin, without any change.  Man thats a shame that all functions of the processor works fine but the one function of switching to pinpoint is faulty.  I have access to the 44 pin PLCC, but no firmware.  I'm sure it is security bit protected.  I would love to program my own processor for it.  Would buy one, it I could.  Getting detectors ready for this coming summer.  Any help is appreciated, my friend.  Thanks, Stevie

Bummer. I was hoping that would do the trick.

Try asking Minelab for a replacement. They might surprise you. Tell them the entire story and see what they say. Manufacturers are populated by people, not monsters. Tell them you have a reflow oven and want to replace it yourself. If they send you a programmed one, it will keep their code safe.

If that doesn't work, ask them how much the entire board is. Might not be that bad.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134734.html#msg134734

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:38:59 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:38:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger1950,  Yeah I already called Minelab and they won't even send you an end cap for the excalibur without sending your detector to them and paying the $70 up front and $16/hr., plus parts, for tech to look at it.  They have started a new policy since they moved to I believe Illinois.  I talked to a supervisor for Minelab and he said no more parts would be sold or given to customers.  He said many of their employees, that are no longer with the company, gave parts out to customers, and it came back to haunt them.  The processor resides on the middle board.  It is hard to get too.  The top board needs removed to replace it.  Everything is getting unrepairable anymore.  I thought it was a state law to sell spare parts for equipment, but I'm no lawyer.  It really upsets me, but maybe theres nothing I can do about it.  I will just try to find an old excalibur and scrap it for the processor and spare parts.  I had a spare I bought that was water damaged, but I repaired it, and my brother dives with it in Charlotte, NC.  It was really a basket case, but turned out ok.  I may design my own metal detector, since I just retired, and then I would have spare parts. LOL Thanks for the reply and help, my friend.  Good Luck,  steviewhite

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134735.html#msg134735

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Send me the part number you need for both the middle board and the processor. I'll call the head office in Australia on Tuesday to ask about it. Go to my profile page, select "E-Mail User" and send the information to me that way. Be as specific as you can because I'll be talking blind to these folks.

I'll also ask a friend of mine who bought a second machine after running over his first one with his car. I'll ask if anything is salvageable. Fingers crossed either way. If my mate's machine has a usable processor board, I'm sure I can sweet talk him out of it for a reasonable fee. He borrows my power tools regularly to remodel his older, Federation era home.

That round case is strong. It may still be all right inside.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20396.msg134737.html#msg134737

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: