[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DeewayneTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a Stanley Intellisensor stud finder that I'm modifying into a pinpoint.

I opened it up and found the pickup is not a coil. It's a flat plate (etched circuit board) that has two areas on it. One is a small trace that goes around 3 of the outer edges and the other is a large square area that sits inside the smaller trace, like a square with a U around it. Each trace has only one wire connected to them (there is no connectivity between the two areas.)  The small trace has a wire from the main board connected to the center of this trace.  Like so  ---I.

I made a few coils that didn't work.

Here's two that did.

I measure the area each trace area covered. Then calculated how much .51mm enameled wire it would take to cover the same area.

The coils I made were both open ended (only one wire from each coil back to the main board.)

One was an air core coil and the other on a ferrite rod.

The bottom coil had 93" (add 8" extra for connecting to main board) of wire wrapped on a drinking straw or around a 4-5mm ferrite round rod (5mm x 100mm), this one connects to the red  connection.

For the top coil I took 49" of wire, and soldered a 8" piece of wire at it's mid point, like in the rough drawing above (this wire connects back to the board (black.), when you wind this wire do it as if it's one length of wire. In other words when you get to the mid point just keep going.

The bottom coil covers about 1 1/4" of the core and the top coil covers about 3/4" of the core.
Yes - the wire overlaps it's self.

I found both the air and ferrite coils worked about the same. The ferrite coil may work out a little better.

You may have to readjust the sensitivity, do it 1/4 of a turn at a time.

The neater your wraps are, the better it will work.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19257.msg126164.html#msg126164

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:01:09 pm by Deewayne »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: