[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

well this has left me along while ago, but i've got A Fluke 189 meter still in the box never been used, it cost me 327 quid

so i'm selling it ,what it can do is anyones guess, it's beyoned me

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21740.msg150305.html#msg150305

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:58:56 am by auminesweeper »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was thinking you was going to Parallel two Regulators for some reason. 

If you just want more battery time, why not just parallel more nine volt batteries?

As the detector has a internal regulation system, adding one volt is just going to make it work hotter and not do anything for you in the way of performance.

Huh?Huh?Huh???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21740.msg150309.html#msg150309

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
My detector is a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 which takes two 9 volt batteries for it's power.  I plan to use a single larger batter around 12 Vd/c to drive my unit instead of the two rinky dink little 9 volt batteries that drop too quickly for my confidence.

Before you go any further, check to see if your batteries are used in series in the detector. Remove your batteries. Using the very highest range (over 1Mohm, see if the terminals are shorted in any configuration from either positive terminal to either negative terminal. If one set of pos to neg terminals are reading a short, lower the range until you verify that they are shorted. Most detectors I know of that use two 9v batteries are actually using 18v internally to generate the proper voltages for their operational amplifiers which require split power supplies.

I'm guessing here but I believe the Bounty Hunter is no exception. Putting in two regulated 10v sources will indeed fry your detector if this is the case. Check it out before you continue.

Here's the good part. Some people use an external LiPo battery pack these days to replace the 18v source. Their capacity will beat the daylights our of the wimpy little 9v every day. You could also consider using two 8 cell AAA NiMh packs external with a 4 wire connector to the detector. Mount it on your hip with an easy disconnect (to prevent damage) so that the wire will pull out easily of your tug on it by accident. Modern AAA NiMh batteries have a capacity of over 10 times that of the 9v.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21740.msg150364.html#msg150364

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.