[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just think your poll vaulting over mouse turds.....all the effort you put into this could have been spent actually digging targets that you'll have to dig anyway. One of my best friends is 92 and when we detect together he doesnt cover much ground at all, but his experience with his detector gets him good finds (as well as me sharing my good sites that I find with him). Spend your time on something that will work instead of this. Try getting a lightwieght detector first and learn how to use it, then ask about easier ways to go detecting.  Wise

Posted on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:59 PM
by the way......I'm not that old yet, but have loads of experience with a detector and I have bad eyes, get a detector with a large LCD display of one that detects only with sound is my advice. The large LCD display is the way to go for a beginner to use, the ones that use sound are not so easy to learn but very rewarding if you take the time to learn them. The fisher F2 I mentioned has a large LCD and is one of the hottest detectors out there for around $200. Read the reviews on them and others at the price range your looking for, the more you spend isnt necessarily the better the finds. I prove that all the time with my F2 (and I have a $1000 minelab excalibur 2 taht usually stays at home) If you want to spend a little more, the newest bounty hunter "platinum" is the best Ive seen in that range, I read somewhere that it is basiclally a Teknetics gamma (sure looks the same) and takes the same coils as the teknetics line. I saw the platinum on sale for $300 online last week.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190184.html#msg190184

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
69%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with Vision, but just for the fun of it, IF I had to come up with something to use in your situation , Conner, I'd go with a "robotic" detector like one of these:

Please Register or Login

http://www.slashgear.com/diy-metal-detecting-robot-platform-235402/

Please Register or Login

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/08/tb-007-metal-detecting-robot.html

Of course, you'll still have the recovery problem unless you find a way to automate that also (and I think that would be a bigger challenge--especially if you follow the Treasure Hunter ethic and cover your holes so no one can tell where you have been.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190185.html#msg190185

Offline overhillTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thak you BA for some good suggestions. As far as digging
, my plan was to have my 22 year old grandson do that for me if i find a promising site. This maynot be feasable but i was kinda praying that this would be a workable hobby for me.
As fof AVISION4O2LIVEBY, If a handicapped old man can make you laugh by trying to get a little more out of life, then god bless you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190186.html#msg190186

Offline Gary Zenz
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, cen-tech pinpointer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Conor. Them are good questions they are throwing at you and the biggest concern is the digging.
I really think you can get a detector set up and if it is lite like an Ace 250 I believe it would work. But the bigger problem
is getting the target out of the ground. Maybe a golf cart would work better. If you can get someone to take you out
and give it a try in dry runs.Use a long golf club to see what you could do.( Im talking a big bertha driver)Maybe you can
come upwith a digger that has a 3to four foot handel. Dont laugh i'm just throwing out ideas. Anything is possible.
Keep pluging at it and LOL. Let us known and some pics also if possible.ARR!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190198.html#msg190198

Offline overhillTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gary Zenz
Hey Conor. Them are good questions they are throwing at you and the biggest concern is the digging.
I really think you can get a detector set up and if it is lite like an Ace 250 I believe it would work. But the bigger problem
is getting the target out of the ground. Maybe a golf cart would work better. If you can get someone to take you out
and give it a try in dry runs.Use a long golf club to see what you could do.( Im talking a big bertha driver)Maybe you can
come upwith a digger that has a 3to four foot handel. Dont laugh i'm just throwing out ideas. Anything is possible.
Keep pluging at it and LOL. Let us known and some pics also if possible.ARR!

Thanks Gary. a golf cart would not get me back to were i want to go. however
, you gave me an idea. What about a pivot support mounted on the ATV. this would solve the the problem of added weight from the extension. I also found that they make a hydraullic shovel that mounts to the front of the ATV. This may be a problem but is something to consider. I just wont to spend quality time in the woods and hope to experience finding something noteworthy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190201.html#msg190201

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:03:40 pm by overhill, Reason: new imput »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
69%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golf cart would be ok in parks, but not too good most places where you might hunt relics or on the beach.

Believe it or not, this is a challenge that some of us have been kicking around for a while (and only partly in jest) since we're all getting older every day.   Once you reach a certain age, you start thinking about how you can continue to enjoy the hobby when your mobility isn't what it used to be.   We've even talked about walkers with rotating pivot connections.....although I still lean to the robotic detector, practical, fun solutions that wouldn't be too expensive and has lots of real world applications besides opening (or re-opening) the hobby up for those who truly are mobility-challenged.   And if they can rig up a radio control truck to spot IEDs

Please Register or Login

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/remote-controlled-truck-soldier-afghanistan-saves-soldiers-lives/story?id=14225434
 , why not?

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26934.msg190204.html#msg190204

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.