[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TreasureWriterTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 2500 and Ace 250
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just Prior to the war of 1812 American Captain's were afforded Letters of Marque by Thomas Jefferson. The most notorious of these sailed from Baltimore harbor after receiving their letter of marque from the Philadelphia Courts. Peter Karthaus owned several of these ships including the Comet which was Captained by Thomas Boyle; "Captain Thomas" was one of the most notorious privateers claiming capture of nearly 80 vessels. After the wars end this consortium of men relocated to Pennsylvania bringing their "financial affluence" with them. Captain Thomas was said to have brought over $5,000,000 in silver bars into the area in North Central Pa. burying it for safe keeping before returning to a life of Privateering. Peter Karthaus remained in the area starting several businesses and had an entire township named after him. These guys had millions of dollars in silver and gold with them in an area without banks. To put all of this into perspective....a "good" pirate would capture 3-5 ships a year......these guys were capturing over 30 a year. Do you think that they had some money to hide?

Posted on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:29 PM
The facts surrounding these men have been related as "Blackbeard's Treasure in Pennsylvania" by Francis Scully. I have researched this story for nearly 50 years and have pieced together who these men were, where the money came from and what happened to at least a portion of it. You'll be searching in the area of Gardeau, Pa if you choose to look for this one. If you're serious about searching for this cache, I have a lot of information on it that includes maps and photographs of the area, information on Col.Noah Parker and an eyewitness account of what is inside of his tomb. I know where the Parker Hotel (Mineral Spa) was and the mineral spring that he drilled after he found some of Captain Thomas' silver. Contact me if you need more information.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36283.msg222372.html#msg222372

H.Charles Beil received a degree in History from Duquesne University in 1977; studied historical geology, archeology and oceanography under Skinner and other world renowned geologists and archeologists and has been an avid treasure hunter for nearly 50 years.

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you293

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to

Please Register or Login

www.thunting.com
from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!  Interesting information you have.  Thanks for sharing it!                Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36283.msg222422.html#msg222422

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not sure I would classify a captain operating under the authorization/license of his government as notorious so long as he followed the terms of his license (letter of marque).   I would say that Captain Thomas Boyle was one of the most successful......He's only notorious if your sympathies and allegiances belong to the other side in the conflict.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36283.msg226262.html#msg226262

Offline mccedian
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:44:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So I've been folloing the Blackbeard story for a while now, and I have a question, what information do you have that links Thomas Boyle to central PA? What I have been able to track down so far is that he settled in Baltimore after the war, and then died at sea. But the sources I have been reading have also admitted then haven't been able to find much of his life after the war. Seems like he kind of dropped off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36283.msg298382.html#msg298382

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: