[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline andy2sleepyTopic starter
if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

does anyone have any advice about wetsuits and drysuits as far as which would be better for dredging? i have a 2 1/2" keene dredge without air, so i'll mostly be snorkeling no deeper that 6 feet. i'm looking for the best combination of cold protection and mobility. i've never been in either type of suit, only neoprene waders.  i'm in east tn, near the smoky mountains. i'm sure you folks know how cool the mountain streams are, especially in the winter.  i'd like to be able to stay in the water for at least 2 hrs before i have to warm up.  thanks in advance.
                                                                                     andy

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72707.html#msg72707

Offline sandpeople
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab excalibur II, whites
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:11:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

depends how much time you will be out for-
drysuits are very expensive, leak, and tear rendering them useless
I would use a thick wetsuit and booties- you will be plenty warm and won't be dissapointed if you get a tear
good luck and I hope this helps
Justin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72712.html#msg72712

"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams" Thoreau

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

thanks justin.  i'll check around and see what i can find.  i doubt i would have went for the dry suit anyway. i just went to a dive supply site after i posted to check prices.  wowsers, they dont make drysuits for a poor man's budget huh?  take care and thanks again,   andy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72714.html#msg72714

Offline sandpeople
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab excalibur II, whites
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

no prob- also, you may want to check out geting a used suit from craigslist from someone with your same build- thicker wetsuits are used for purposes like diving and are very well taken care of.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72715.html#msg72715

"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams" Thoreau

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

As a long time whitewater paddler, I can attest that a dry suit is mostly only suitable for temporary submersion and is most effective for water based activities where you're primarily only being splashed with water.  I wear a drysuit to keep the water away from me when punching through rapids in cold weather, and you will usually find me wearing a couple of layers of polartec fleece under the drysuit just to help stay warm.  It does no good if you take a dump and have to swim for a while, because dry suit or not, you're gonna get soaked if you stay in the drink long enough.  Also, a long swim in a drysuit can be dangerous, because once it starts to leak and fills up with water, it becomes an anchor and will drag you down.

I wear a wetsuit on the other hand when I know I'm going spend some time submerged.  I might wear a wetsuit UNDER a drysuit if I'm contemplating something particularly stupid like shooting a 20' waterfall, but I don't depend on a dry suit to keep me dry, or even wear one, unless I'm relatively sure I won't be actually swimming for any significant amount of time. 

The time of year and cold factor determines the thickness of the wetsuit  I'll wear.  You can die from heat exhaustion in 50 degree water fighting around in a 5 mm wet suit, but freeze to death in 30 degree water in a 2mm wetsuit. 

If you end up in a cold water crisis situation wearing a wetsuit and can't get out of it immediately, (This could be considered gross so if you're sensitive, don't read any further) pee in your wetsuit.  The warm pee will instantly spread throughout the suit and buy you a few minutes of warmth so you can handle your situation.  Yeah, they teach us some strange ideas in wilderness first responder and swiftwater rescue class.  But they work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72755.html#msg72755

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:55:53 am by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline peabody
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GM V/Sat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I dont dredge, but everyone I know who does wears a wet suit, as all have noted above.  They also wear a good set of knee pads and a durable shoe or boot to help protect the wet suit while working in the gravels.  The common point when selecting a wet suit is to get one thick enough to handle the water temp in which you will be working. Otherwise you will be peeing in your suit - a lot!  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72930.html#msg72930

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:25:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for all the advice.  i really appreciate all the replies.  good luck to all of you in your search for "rich stuff"..
                                                                                          andy   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11322.msg72933.html#msg72933

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: