[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bigwaterTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I spent Saturday with the current owner of the old Cavender Creek gold mine site.  He bought 13 acres of the property, including the original main mine shaft 17 years ago and has since filled in the main mine shaft (bummer) and built a house and 11 cabins on the property which he rents out to tourists.

He's a long time associate of mine through the local Chamber of Commerce and other business related organizations, so we're well acquainted with each other.  I had approached him about prospecting on the property offering to give him half of what I found, but he said he didn't want anything I found.  He said that I was free to do what I wanted as long as I didn't use noise producing equipment that would disturb his guests.  So, no power dredges, no backhoes, etc, but anything else goes as long as it doesn't make noise or otherwise interfere with his guest's experience.

We spent six hours on Saturday covering every inch of the 13 acres.  This property changes in elevation by about 2000 feet, so I was pretty worn out by the end of the day.  We went up and down the mountains numerous times and he showed me several locations of old mining activities, such as big holes in the ground where tunnels had been started and abandonded due to cave in or whatever, the location of the old stamp mill on the creek, etc.  Everytime we got down to the creek bed I "hand panned" for a minute and there was always quite a bit of interesting color in the sand.

I also kept my eyes open on the geological formations around the property, and found quite a few outcroppings of old rotten quartz that appear promising for gold bearing rock.  This site has a lot of potential for a hobbyist, and I plan to spend a good bit of time there this summer working the property.  The only thing the owner asked is that I respect his guests, and that will be easy to do considering most of the prospecting places will be out of view of his guests.

Anyway, any of you gold prospectors close enough to north Georgia who wants a place to go play, give me a shout.  I've got full permission to prospect all 13 acres of this land, which in the past has been a high gold bearing property.  I'm sure it's going to be relegated to minimal recovery now due to the noise restrictions and the fact that it's been heavily mined in the past, but who knows what can be found with modern technology.  Load up your manual dredges and sluices, your gold detectors and dowsers, and come visit me in north Georgia.  We can find some gold together, and the best thing is you can rent a cabin right there on the property.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12114.msg78155.html#msg78155

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:39:00 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline dinso
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sovereign XS2-A
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:49:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi bigwater,
That sounds like a great offer! Wish I was close enough to take you up on it...
I wish you lots of luck with your prospecting - make sure you post pictures of the big nuggets!! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12114.msg78156.html#msg78156

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Bigwater,
       sounds like a great deal.   Can't say I blame the honor for filling in the main shaft, especially given how prone to filing lawsuits people are these days.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12114.msg78157.html#msg78157

Offline bigwaterTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:18:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

He described in great detail about how he filled in the old shaft... hauling in loads of clay and compacting it down with power equipment.  His sole reason for filling in the mine shaft was that it was in the exact location where he wanted to build his house, and he couldn't risk a cave in.  If it were me, and I told him as much, I'd have moved the house 50' or so to one side or the other

This shaft was 5 'x5 'x85 yards and produced a lot of gold back in the mid 1800's.  Who knows what was beyond the end of the shaft... could it have been the motherlode?  The good news is that I know where the other end of the shaft is, what would have been a vent tube for the main shaft had the mine not been stuffed a few years ago.  He has no problem with me digging on that end of the shaft.  It's 85 yards from his house so he's not worried about it.  The whole mine was never more than about 15' underground.  While that's a lot of digging, there's already a 7' deep pit that's been partially filled in at the site that's about 8' across, so it's a good start.  At least I know where to start digging to get back to the far end of the original mine shaft.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12114.msg78159.html#msg78159

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: