[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the link to a tv news item from 23rd June.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.itv.com/wales/panning-for-gold40784/

The Environment Agency guy seen here keeps threatening to take some kind of action against me. So far, I haven't heard from the EA or the North Wales wildlife police officer. Their bosses in the Welsh Assembly may not be impressed when they learn that the EA etc are spreading bluffs on tv news and in the newspapers.

The authorities have never presented any evidence that gold panning at any level has damaged any protected species in North Wales. All they can do is harass panners who dare to assert what could be an ancient customary right on some rivers.

Personally, I now avoid the Afon Wen and Afon Mawddach, mainly because these officials are so focused on me, because I am demanding answers. They currently turn a blind eye to others who are again panning on these SSSI rivers, and good luck to them. If I went back, they might turf these other guys (and gals?) off again. However, in time I feel confident that these barren rivers will loose their SSSI status.

In the meantime I am prospecting other rivers in North and Mid Wales, with private agreements with farmers. At some point I will be running free courses for greenhorn prospectors.

Brian Wright

Treasurer Gold Rivers Trust

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg185817.html#msg185817

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Drat!! Not viewable outside UK would have loved to see the badge man make a fool of himself.  Reckon I'l have to crank up my greying imaginationto get a picture.  Give'um hell Brian.

Dennis
Tillamook, OR USA

PS: It's a custom on every river, stream or creek going back hundreds of years predating the Crown or any established country.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg185912.html#msg185912

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:55:47 pm by Gramps43 »

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:46:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Dennis
Sorry the news link doesn't work over there. Anyhow, I like your point, there has been gold in rivers before any governments. The Crown civil servants (not our lovely Queen) are as inept as a pack of one legged wolves. The tv story was rather inexact, though well meaning. I didn't even find 50ps worth of gold. I was only there for five minutes to do a demo. In fact, I didn't really expect to find anything, so that could really be a rich little stream. I didn't take the tv people to my best spots, for obvious reasons. Anyhow, if you get over here, Gold Rivers Trust will help you to get a little Welsh river gold.

Brian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg186000.html#msg186000

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:03:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian what or how big is the gold normaly from the rivers

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg186090.html#msg186090

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:45:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian,

Many thanks for the offer but I’m afraid I’ll spend the rest of my days here in Oregon.

I like your characterization of bureaucrats, very apt, I’m sure the Queen has no idea what’s happening in most of the government goings on and said to be done in the name of the Crown.

The problem we have over here is that the twinkies in government seem to think that everything is theirs and by their good graces we the unwashed are allowed to have a little.  Well I think those that are of that mind set are going to get a rude awakening come Nov. of 2012 when they themselves are on the outside looking in.

Off the soap box for now, you have a wonderful summer and nick those one legged wolves for all the gold you can.

Dennis

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg186091.html#msg186091

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:39:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Brian what or how big is the gold normaly from the rivers

AU

Good question Ridge Runner

On the Wen and Mawddach the really coarse gold, mostly worked out now, was found near the mines above these two rivers. Just below the Gwynfyndd mine, in a very deep pool, many feet of sludge impacted on top of the bedrock is a very rich mix of minerals. There are rumours of guys trying to dredge into this, and even divers bringing up buckets full of small nuggets, but this location is too visible for any commercial operation to succeed. Local farmers report any activities to the Crown Estate and the Forestry, who don't actually own the river, start harassing. A former mine manager described the geology to me, and I did my own research. Pritchard Morgan, the so called Welsh Gold King, installed Berdan pans in the 1890s to crush the pyrite rich gold bearing rocks, and much was lost into the river. There are also natural gold reefs which have never been properly explored in the river, because the Guardians of the Mawddach stopped any full scale exploration in the 1890s. The Guardians were salmon riparians, and their business was selling fishing licences when the salmon fishing was really good way back then. As you go further downriver the gold is crushed up, so by the time it gets to the estuary it is practically invisible. However, there are really good spots on the Mawddach which have never been panned, solely because they are in public view. The same principles apply to the Wen, but the gold there is mostly from natural reefs and undefined sources near to the Rhobell Fawr volcanoe, as the main mine above the river was of relatively poor quality. Where the Wen meets the bigger Mawddach, panners have to dig many tons of loose gravels to get a few grams of very fine gold. That is why I concentrated on the mid section of the Wen, just above the bridge, where there are still millions of pounds worth of nuggets waiting to be found. According to one of my local contacts there are guys going in there at night, digging away where I was, and these could be the same guys who are trying to put others off with stories of panning being banned across the whole of North Wales. Lights are seen across the valley by locals, but the Forestry don't bother sending out their staff at such late hours. As soon as I have dealt with some business at home I will take a look and see if the reports are true.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26434.msg186542.html#msg186542

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: