[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What about other metals like aluminum? Pound for pound Al is worth more than copper and its easy to find.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg77095.html#msg77095

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Salvor6

Can't say I know the aluminum industry too well. However I have been told aluminum smelting is very costly because of the high use of electricity.A lot of electric arc furnaces. Most smelters are located in areas with access to cheap electricity to make them profitable.

Bauxite is in easy abundance in northern Australia, at Weipa in Cape York and across the gulf of Carpentaria at Nulunbuy Arnhen land among others.

One of the problems in that industry is the over supply of bauxite. The cost is the smelting process. In Australia we are at risk of losing another valuable industry due the present governments pandering to the green vote.

They want to slap an emission trading program at all costs with out understanding the ramifications to that industry. the joke is third world countries, china and India can pollute all they want with no restrictions and yet Australia  and the USA are expected to slab a large carbon tax that will eventfully take much needed jobs off shore to where company's can operate free of emissions restrictions and lower wages.

End result is another few thousand workers without a future all by the stoke of a pen by a faceless bureaucrat who will never know poverty. Angry Or know how to get off ones backside and do a real days work! Wink

I once worked for a company that gave me access to many different mining operations, heavy industries such cement, mine processing and smelting etc in third world countries. I can tell you horrendous stories of zero pollution control, zero safety and working conditions and pay that would not be out of place in Charles Dickens time.

And idiots in our respect governments think that is progress and going to save the planet?

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg77129.html#msg77129

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:58:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck you are right about the electricity. Here in the US the Tennessee Valley Authority built a hydroelectric dam on the Tennessee River to produce cheap electricity for Alcoa Aluminum company. In return, Alcoa built a whole city around their plant and they employ thousands of people.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg77155.html#msg77155

Offline csharp
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi

interesting insight, thanks for sharing.

hardluck - have you researched the first ever copper mine in Australia, the pioneers of copper mining?

regards

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg78369.html#msg78369

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 02:39:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello csharp

I am not sure where and when the first copper mine was established. If I was to guess, I'd say there was some Copper mining activity in South Australia by Cornish miners in the early to mid 19th century. Possibly earlier mining activity in Tasmania?

But like I said its only guess.

I would be interested in know which region was mined first?

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg78379.html#msg78379

Offline csharp
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi

Hardluck

It has been awhile since i replied to this topic.

Hope this answers some of your questions!!

copper mine in S.A

Use my surname in your search.

Regards

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg88387.html#msg88387

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:10:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know this thread is a tad aged, but I just wanted to interject a little bit on the value of copper.  If you've ever lived in an area where copper was processed, you'll see an environmental disaster.  I'm not much of an environmentalist per se, but copper smelting was and probably still is one of the most damaging environmental hazards ever.  One of the by-products of copper smelting is sulfer dioxide, SO2.  When it's released into the atmosphere, this then bonds with O2, oxygen, forming H2SO4, sulfuric acid, and gets trapped in the moisture in the air. As this moisture accumulates into clouds, it eventually dumps what we know as "acid rain" onto the surrounding landscape.

If you've ever been to the "Copper Basin" in Tennessee, historically one of the largest mining and smelting areas of copper in the world you'd understand the devestation that copper production creates.  It used to be a moonscape until the state of Tennesse started a program to introduce non-native plants that could live in the highly acidic soil.  If you get off the main roads it's still a moonscape.  They've just cultivated crazy looking plants from asia along the main roads, stuff that looks like kudzu and other weeds to give the sense of peace and greenery.

There are no fish in the rivers because  the high acid content in the water killed them all.  When I first started paddling the Ocoee River back in the 70's, I was having constant ear problems, which was eventually diagnosed as erosion of my eardrums due to exposure to the highly acidic water in the river.  The Copper Basin was one of the only man made things that the Mercury astraunauts were able to detect visually from orbit.  It was a natural disaster far beyond anything else we've ever seen.

Copper may be a valuable metal, but it's certainly a very expensive metal in more than one way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg89774.html#msg89774

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:16:21 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
I know this thread is a tad aged, but I just wanted to interject a little bit on the value of copper.  If you've ever lived in an area where copper was processed, you'll see an environmental disaster.  I'm not much of an environmentalist per se, but copper smelting was and probably still is one of the most damaging environmental hazards ever.  One of the by-products of copper smelting is sulfer dioxide, SO2.  When it's released into the atmosphere, this then bonds with O2, oxygen, forming H2SO4, sulfuric acid, and gets trapped in the moisture in the air. As this moisture accumulates into clouds, it eventually dumps what we know as "acid rain" onto the surrounding landscape.

If you've ever been to the "Copper Basin" in Tennessee, historically one of the largest mining and smelting areas of copper in the world you'd understand the devestation that copper production creates.  It used to be a moonscape until the state of Tennesse started a program to introduce non-native plants that could live in the highly acidic soil.  If you get off the main roads it's still a moonscape.  They've just cultivated crazy looking plants from asia along the main roads, stuff that looks like kudzu and other weeds to give the sense of peace and greenery.

There are no fish in the rivers because  the high acid content in the water killed them all.  When I first started paddling the Ocoee River back in the 70's, I was having constant ear problems, which was eventually diagnosed as erosion of my eardrums due to exposure to the highly acidic water in the river.  The Copper Basin was one of the only man made things that the Mercury astraunauts were able to detect visually from orbit.  It was a natural disaster far beyond anything else we've ever seen.

Copper may be a valuable metal, but it's certainly a very expensive metal in more than one way.

Go with out it!

Don't use electricity!

Cell Phones.

Use a camp Fire to heat your home.  Al Gore will Tax you!

Use Evaporative cooling to cool your home.

Just like any mining operation, there is a cost.

Like Mercury, all is not lost.  They tell us how Evil the stuff is and yet force you to purchase Fluorescent lights that go into the dumps by the millions containing Mercury!

If you bust one in your house, you have a Disaster.  All your kids will develop a third Eye,  Brain cancer, Become Retarded.

It comes from the Earth and it will go back into the Earth.

The acid is not Man Made, it's a product of the Earth made by exposing the copper to air.

Mother Earth Made It, She can Handel it!

Plastic is another story!

Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg89780.html#msg89780

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I won't argue that point with you.  Mother nature can take it.  My eardrums couldn't, and obviously all of the native vegitation couldn't take it either.  The point of this thread was the value of copper, and my position was the value of copper.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg89782.html#msg89782

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Being a broke as I am, I scrounge ever scrap of copper I can.

I get almost $3.00 a lb and most happy about it.

Yep!  Copper is the Poor mans Gold!   Great

If I could just find a way to get the windings out of the 100 cooler motors I have I could cash in! Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11837.msg89783.html#msg89783

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: