[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coloma goldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

back to the orchards.   I re-checked a local orchard now that we have had some rains.. I shortened my steps and tried to cover every inch.  Only had time to check 3 rows of trees and the earth between them.. I was able to locate 4 coins, two were in such poor shape that I could not identify them with any accurancy. However, I was able to identify clearly a 10 centime french coin dated 1918 and a 12 denier, King Louis XVI that appears to be dated 1792 (these were minted until 1793 at which time Ole Louie was beheaded).  I am still looking for a camera that will be able to take close ups and I am looking for some tips for improved appearance ( the distinguishing characteristics don't show up on camera well). Coloma Gold

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200613.html#msg200613

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Coloma!  Congratulations on more good finds.  Thanks for telling us your tale!

As for cameras, any digital that has a "macro" feature on it should get a good enough picture.  Photographing them from the side or 90 degrees to the light source can sometimes show details you might not otherwise see.  Good luck!   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200640.html#msg200640

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks ArfieBoy,

The only cameras that I find (new) are starting at about $200. I really don't want to spend that much for a limited purpose camera. I may wait a little until I feel that my universal travel camera (a small Sony) needs to be replaced. It is a 7.2 MP with 3x lens (no macro). I may just go ahead and replace it (even though it really serves me well) with a camera with more MP's and better zoom AND macro.  That way, I can justify the expense better. However, I still want to get one that is small and compact that fits into a shirt pocket. So, I guess I will need to start looking. As for the angle of shot, I have tried that but perhaps if I get a macro, the sharpness of the photo will take care of a lot of those problems. I was thinking that there may be something I can put on the coin (such as olive oil) that may bring out the features of the coin better? Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200656.html#msg200656

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:35:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Olive oil might bring out some of the features with a thin light layer on the coin.   Try it and see!

I have two digital cameras.  One is a higher end digital SLR that has a lot of features.  The other is a digital Kodak pocket camera.  It cost about $185 several years ago.  It also has a lot of features on it including macro function and others.  It is very handy to put in a jeans or jacket pocket and take anywhere.  The other one isn't as large as a old analog SLR but it is too big to fit in a pocket.  I use both of them.  Sometimes a take both with me when I go out.  If I'm going very far from the vehicle I just put the little on in my pocket so I can take pictures in the field.  The other I just leave in the vehicle and can take pictures there when I get back to it.

A pocket digital with all the features on it should be a little cheaper than what I paid for it then.  Good luck with finding a good one!   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200660.html#msg200660

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Danny
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Bug M-60
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:25:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Idea  When I needed a camera, I went to my local Craiglist.  I found a Kodack 10mega pixel for 50.00. Still in the box and it also had a memory stick.  It will hold up to 1000 pictures on the stick and about 50 pictures with out the stick. Rider  It has served it's purpose and is a really good camera.  Good Luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200663.html#msg200663

Wile E. Coyote

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks... I considered it but since I now live in France, the shipping may be more than the cost of the camera. I will check the craig's list in france.. Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28344.msg200664.html#msg200664

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: