[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline godfather1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Jordan
Referrals: 0

200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WAR SERVICE MEDAL 1939-45
Description:
The obverse bears the crowned head of King George VI and the legend 'GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR: OMB: REX ET INDIAE IMP:'. The reverse has a lion trampling on a dragon with the dates '1939-45' above. The suspender is a straight non-swivelling economy type suspender with a claw mount riveted to the medal.
Clasps:
None authorised for this medal but those mentioned in despatches were allowed to wear a bronze oak leaf on the ribbon.
Ribbon:
The ribbon is 1.25" wide with the colours of the Union Jack going from red to blue to white from each edge and a narrow central red stripe in the centre.
Naming:
Issued unnamed.
Notes:
This medal was issued to many of those who served in the armed forces of Great Britain, the commonwealth and empire between Sept. 1939 and Sept. 1945. Like the Defence Medal this award is very commonly encountered.
INDIA SERVICE MEDAL 1939-45
Description:
The obverse has the crowned head of King George VI and the legend 'GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR OMB: REX ET INDIAE IMP:'. The reverse has a map of India with the word 'INDIA' above and the dates '1939-45' below. The suspender is a straight non-swivelling economy type with a claw mount riveted to the medal.

how much Huh? i can sell this Huh?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22244.msg155672.html#msg155672

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

war-medal-1939-45.jpg
war_1939_1945_reverse.JPG

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's a beautiful looking medal.

I don't see too many medals bringing much money these days, but the British medals may do better. I know that when there signed to a specific person there better, but as you say, this is a National defense medal given for the period of the war, so it's more of a general medal. Medals of specific battles or specific military service medals also are more desired I've noticed, such as Bronze & Silver stars, ect.ect.

I collect Military Medals from the US, England & Australia military forces, but I wouldn't know what to offer you for it.

My Family and I are Military Veterans going back to WW1 and up. Send me a PM and we can chat further about the medal if you would like.

My name is Jim or James & I'm a Yank from the USA in northern New York.

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by godfather1
WAR SERVICE MEDAL 1939-45
Description:
The obverse bears the crowned head of King George VI and the legend 'GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR: OMB: REX ET INDIAE IMP:'. The reverse has a lion trampling on a dragon with the dates '1939-45' above. The suspender is a straight non-swivelling economy type suspender with a claw mount riveted to the medal.
Clasps:
None authorised for this medal but those mentioned in despatches were allowed to wear a bronze oak leaf on the ribbon.
Ribbon:
The ribbon is 1.25" wide with the colours of the Union Jack going from red to blue to white from each edge and a narrow central red stripe in the centre.
Naming:
Issued unnamed.
Notes:
This medal was issued to many of those who served in the armed forces of Great Britain, the commonwealth and empire between Sept. 1939 and Sept. 1945. Like the Defence Medal this award is very commonly encountered.
INDIA SERVICE MEDAL 1939-45
Description:
The obverse has the crowned head of King George VI and the legend 'GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR OMB: REX ET INDIAE IMP:'. The reverse has a map of India with the word 'INDIA' above and the dates '1939-45' below. The suspender is a straight non-swivelling economy type with a claw mount riveted to the medal.

how much Huh? i can sell this Huh?

Posted on: March 26, 2011, 11:40:26 PM
Hello again,
I had some time to check this medal out, and it's the British WW2 Campaign or Defense Service Medal.

The War Medal 1939?1945, was a British decoration awarded to those who had served in the Armed Forces or Merchant Navy full-time for at least 28 days, between September 3rd. 1939 and September 2nd. 1945. If the service member was part of the Merchant Navy, the 28 days service must have been served at sea.

Some refer to it as the British "Victory Medal" for World War II.
These medals are made of primarly (cupro-nickel) metal content.

The medal would have been given with the matching "Service ribbon" to be worn on the dress service uniform, which would match the ribbon on the medal itself, as most medals come and are issued. This ribbon is rectangular in shape and is shown below:

Cheers,
Jim

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22244.msg157425.html#msg157425

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

WW2 service ribbon.jpg

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:04:02 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim