[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Lord DraconTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

I came across this news article published in the Daily Express about a pair of MD'ists who finally found the treasure hoard they spent 30 years looking for;

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/329131/Pals-find-10m-treasure-haul-of-coins-after-30-year-search

PALS FIND £10M TREASURE HAUL OF COINS AFTER 30-YEAR SEARCH
Reg Mead and Richard Miles spent 30 years scouring fields in Jersey with metal detectors
Wednesday June 27,2012
By Anil Dawar
TWO amateur archeologists were celebrating last night after uncovering a hoard of 50,000 Iron Age coins worth up to £10million.
Reg Mead and Richard Miles spent 30 years scouring fields in Jersey with metal detectors after hearing rumours about ancient treasure being buried on the land.
The friends’ hunt was limited to 15 hours a year because of work commitments. But they never gave up and made their first find in February – unearthing 61 silver and gold coins.
They then returned to the site with a deep scanner metal detector used to find buried aircraft wreckage which led them to the Celtic haul buried under a hedge.
Richard, 49, a Customs officer, said: “We knew it was significant straight away but not how significant. It is potentially life changing but any monetary reward is secondary to the thrill of finding ancient artefacts.”
Pledging to continue his hobby, the father-of-four said: “We were never in it for the money or we would have stopped years ago.”
We knew it was significant straight away but not how significant. It is potentially life changing but any monetary reward is secondary to the thrill of finding ancient artefacts
Richard Miles
Reg, 70, a father-of-two, said: “I am not thinking of the money, I just want to enjoy the historic significance of the moment.”
Archeologists from Jersey Heritage have now hoisted a huge mound of clay out of the ground and moved it to a secure site. Experts are removing the coins, which date to around 50BC and could be worth £200 each.
Jersey’s Receiver General declared the pair’s first find “treasure trove”. He is likely to rule in their favour over the second hoard, making the finders and unnamed landowner millionaires. It is thought the coins were brought to the island by the Coriosolitae tribe, who fled modern day Brittany and Normandy to escape Julius Caesar’s invading armies.
The money could have been amassed to fund a war to oust the Romans, experts believe.
Neil Mahrer, of Jersey Heritage, said: “It is probably the most important archeological find on the island for 50 years.”

Clapp Cheesy Well i think a big congratulations on finding the hoard is in order for these two.. just don't spend it all at once  Grin Grin Grin .. i just hope they filled in the hole  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36912.msg226892.html#msg226892

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL!   I posted a Thing on this minutes ago.

There hopping the Crown does not lay claim to the lot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36912.msg226894.html#msg226894

Offline Lord DraconTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ya i just saw your post  Grin we must have posted at the same time .. i posted and it crashed and i could not get back on for a while  Cry

i agree, i hope they get compensated for it

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36912.msg226898.html#msg226898

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: