[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello casca, I dont know the US law real well, this guy has made some sort of claim
but seems thing's are a little murky if you know ? Im interested to se how this one play's
out,          Cool

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg143572.html#msg143572

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

50 years ago, wouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone noticed how many laws have been created to limit your movement and what you do. Its like your only allowed to got to work, and home. I mean if its fun, or makes you money, seems like its not allowed. Im afraid to post anything of great value without a corporate sponsor, chuckles. Remember its for your safety......now Im really laughing. Im more afraid of the police and court systems than I am of the criminals, ok peeing my pants laughing.

I use googlemaps to help me search areas on my cell phone. I could never navigate all the sites for claims, private land and BLM and such. I can actually see me traversing the area, with gps coordinates. My next major purchase will be a good handheld gps, like a garmin extrex, maybe something with and emergency call button case I get into trouble. In todays age, you really have to use gps and googlemaps to stay legal. I have never had a bad run in with a park ranger, law enforcement, or private land owner using my gps. The penalties in some cases are worse than having a dui, if you tresspass or search for treasure on protected sites.

This may all be taken as a gimmee, but if your new like myself its eye opening. I look at all the old places I used to go with different eyes. Google Earth, has open up a new frontier for me also. But there is nothing like boots on the ground.

I wish the two gentlemen the best of luck, and hope the state of some country doesnt take it from them both. It would be nice to see them share, and get it into a museum for all of us to see.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg144003.html#msg144003

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline el viejo
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ads III
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 11:46:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gps is a great tool...a great time saver and a potential life saver.  Coordinates are so much more accurate in terms of guiding some to a rendevous point. Good post.
El Viejo Joe

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg144012.html#msg144012

Offline Diver06
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

3 billion dollars seems to be a ridiculously high amount to estimate. Have any treasures found ever come close to such an amount?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg181725.html#msg181725

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:31:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Way back posting machine...  Grin  I remember when this came out. The site he was looking at was about 100 yards from the creek. It is on a flood plain. But he was trying to call a mud hole pond navigable. Google earth at the time showed vegetation more then just reeds between where he said the ship was at and the creek. The gps coordinates made it out to the public so you could check it.  One of the things that I don't think helped him was I don't think he even got permission to be on the mans property in the first place. He went out and did some metal detecting, said he found a piece of wood and took a picture of it, but lost the wood. To me he was a trespasser.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg181761.html#msg181761

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:24:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting find & pending legal battle,

In the end the attorneys win, with the legal fees affixed to this long drawn out and cumbersome determination of salvage and or Admiralty law.

Id like to zero in on the location using the information provided in the article, using Google Earth now to see the shoe print outline of the ship. (That can't be locked down to public eyes, I wouldn't think)

Hardlucks analysis makes sense to me on this issue, many mistakes were made by this new determined and noteworthy but inexperienced treasure hunter it appears, and who really knows how it will turn out.

(But its not like keep it quite till I can dig & confirm the wreck by some identifyable artifact and then I'll file public knowledge to any legal authority of jurisdiction, the location is no doubt somewhat in the open and so eventually he would be discovered if he didn't ask for permission. If he did seek permission & was making headway in uncovering some of the wreck site, well then it's for sure the owner would eventually see what was developing and would sure put a stop to the T'Hunters endevours...So it's possible this guy thought out as many "what ifs" along the way and felt what he did do was the best possible avenue of making a claim in the end?)

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello All

There are many facets of this story is not very clear.

And I can see two sides of the story.

There is a good lesson here to see what not to do.

For example how would you feel if some one knocked your door claiming there was a treasure on your property and wanted to dig up your back yard regardless if you agree or not? On the whim that there was treasure there seen from space and they presented very little evidence to support the claim? He may have found a wreck but is it an actual treasure ship?

The problem is that he has presented no evidence of actual treasure only speculation based of what he has seen on goggle earth.

Don't get me wrong Goggle earth is a wonderful tool but it should not be relied on it alone. Comprehensive research is needed to support his claims. I am interested in find out how he came to that figure of 3 Billion especially on the vessel dated around 1822.
If he had built up evidence to support his theory then he could of had a better chance to negotiation with the owners or the state. But to publicly claim 3 billion dollars on some ones property without evidence I can understand the land owners concerns.

That said the landowners lawyer showed great contempt of making a statement about the treasure hunter being a musician and not qualified to make these assumptions.

Regardless of ones profession as long as one presents a valid and well researched case then it should be judged on its merits and not on a persons profession. This statement is a clear case of Academic snobbery that has infected society today.

Sadly this treasure hunter has not done his homework and unfortunately will pay the price for his inexperience.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg181839.html#msg181839

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:32:16 am by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:36:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

I found the location on google earth again. And a little more information on it. The shoe print shape is 1400 feet long by 300 foot wide. It may have a some what ship shape but that is way to big. Also it is only "navigable" when it flooded 2-3 times a year. I would be kind of ticked if some one came up and claimed my property. Since hurricane time it could flood. My property up at the lake if it flooded, I would be ticked there. Some goof ball seeing signs could make claims on it. The state trying to come in also. The Land owners had to fight it for years. The ship wasn't even supposed to have gone down in the area. About 20 miles away.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3419.msg181855.html#msg181855

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:39:20 am by ghola »
Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: