[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnnn
The copies are FROM the U S and are generally used for gimmicks and given away with purchases of various furniture items......SO no jail time for me this time.
Knowing that I will continue to mass produce these , and you never know you may dig some up some day.........HH....Johnnn.
oh! these are 3.5" in diameter.........you would have to be one dummy to accept one as currency.
Einstein once said "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."  Just because the coin is 3.5" in diameter doesn't mean somebody won't believe it's real and try to pass it.  It could be the size of a dinner plate and somebody would still believe it's real.  That's why Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 25, ?487 says nothing about the size.  The likeness is enough.  Owning the mold is a felony.  My suggestion is to destroy the mold and melt down any of the counterfeits (and they are counterfeits) that you have made.  Of course the advice to melt is based on the assumption that both sides of the coin are in likeness and similitude to the original coin.  If the backside screams "FAKE" in one way or another, then you'll be okay, but if it replicates a US coin on both sides, regardless of it's size, prepare yourself to say hello to Bubba if the government ever finds out about it.  Regardless though, your possesion of a mold that exactly duplicates either side of a US coin, even a cent, regardless of size, is illegal.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg94966.html#msg94966

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:41:39 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:51:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Johnnn, if BW is right and the United States SS catches up for you, I volunteer my wife to bake you as many cakes as it takes to get through those bars.   (Any special requests)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95188.html#msg95188

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
Be sure to log in from the prison computer and let us know how you're getting along when you get arrested for counterfeiting.  The Secret Service doesn't take that lightly, whether it's oversized, undersized, for personal use or for buying a Pepsi.  If you're mimicking US currency and they know about it, they'll come after you.  Being in Canada won't help you.  Now that you've published this on a big forum... they'll be looking for you.  Expect black SUVs in your driveway and black helicopters overhead shortly.

Nonsense. Counterfeiting is making exact copies not oversized replicas. Where do you get these ideas?

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Johnnn, if BW is right and the United States SS catches up for you, I volunteer my wife to bake you as many cakes as it takes to get through those bars.   (Any special requests)

BA

Sorry, mate. He's wrong. Replicas are not counterfeits.

Quote:Posted by seldom
Making 100 dollar bills

I make them all the time. Then I pay them. Phone bills, electric bills, tax bills - they're all at LEAST $100.00. Sometimes more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95259.html#msg95259

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 05:02:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Replicas are replicas . If I print a hundred dollar bill that is a quarter of an inch larger ( or smaller ) , I am still printing a replica dollar bill .  This is strictly against the law . You made a dollar bill . That you made it too small is your problem . The intent was there !  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95261.html#msg95261

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Replicas are replicas . If I print a hundred dollar bill that is a quarter of an inch larger ( or smaller ) , I am still printing a replica dollar bill .  This is strictly against the law . You made a dollar bill . That you made it too small is your problem . The intent was there !  Cornelius

Not in the USA. A replica can be made legally. It must not be the same size or if it is, it must clearly state it is a Facsimile. That's the law.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95268.html#msg95268

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Should you be interested on what the US Mint has to say about it look here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?flash=yes&action=replicas

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95275.html#msg95275

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Should you be interested on what the US Mint has to say about it look here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?flash=yes&action=replicas

BA

That was the point of my original statement on this topic.  The one side of the coin we've seen is an exact duplicate of official US currency, and even though it's larger, the fact that the artwork is identical could make someone assume that it's real money.  If the obverse also has an exact duplicate of the real coin, you've got a counterfeit.

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Not in the USA. A replica can be made legally. It must not be the same size or if it is, it must clearly state it is a Facsimile. That's the law.
  Please GD, do us all a favor and cite title, part, chapter and subsection of the US Code where it states that making it a different size constitutes legality to duplicate US currency without making it clear that it is not US currency plainly on the replica.  You can start at Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 25 and read the entire chapter.  When you find the subsection that allows you to avoid counterfeiting prosecution by changing the size, let me know so I can start printing my own money, oversized by a bit.  A lot of people won't be fooled, but a lot will.  I'll make a fortune, and I won't have to worry about the Secret Service banging down my door.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95284.html#msg95284

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline earth whisper
Bronze Member

me and the whites!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites prism IV
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 08:07:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey John,
   I think what everyones trying to say is if you make everyone a copy, they will get off the duplicateing subject! Mad  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95309.html#msg95309

Erik Davis

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 04:07:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
That was the point of my original statement on this topic.  The one side of the coin we've seen is an exact duplicate of official US currency, and even though it's larger, the fact that the artwork is identical could make someone assume that it's real money.  If the obverse also has an exact duplicate of the real coin, you've got a counterfeit.
  Please GD, do us all a favor and cite title, part, chapter and subsection of the US Code where it states that making it a different size constitutes legality to duplicate US currency without making it clear that it is not US currency plainly on the replica.  You can start at Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 25 and read the entire chapter.  When you find the subsection that allows you to avoid counterfeiting prosecution by changing the size, let me know so I can start printing my own money, oversized by a bit.  A lot of people won't be fooled, but a lot will.  I'll make a fortune, and I won't have to worry about the Secret Service banging down my door.

How about you show everyone where it is illegal. That makes more sense since you're the one claiming that a freedom has been curtailed by your imagination.

It is NOT illegal to make oversized coins or currency. It is NOT counterfeiting to do so.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95571.html#msg95571

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 05:00:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
How about you show everyone where it is illegal.

I already have.  Reply #10 of this thread.  US Code Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 25, ?487

If you want further problematic issues to consider, read ?489 of the same.

It's hard to understand how somebody from Austrailia can claim to know more about US law than somebody who has to deal with it every day.  I couldn't tell you if it's legal to spit at a kangaroo in Austrailia, yet you know our counterfeiting laws?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95597.html#msg95597

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:07:23 pm by bigwater »

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: