[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Treasurehunter01253Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

9 function discrminator, Sears discriminator.
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:03:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Everyone,
                    I thought I would pass this along, there are many forms of restorations to antique & collectable arms. First off it depends on the condition of the Firearm and what You intend to do with it. Is it just for looks? or to be actually used once in awhile. First of all if the firearm in question was manufactured before the 20th century. It was designed to use black powder only! I have seen some people try to use smokless powder ( modern gunpowder ) in these types of firarms the results are disasterous and can be in fact fatal. When you decided to clean one of these firarms uses wd-40 ad 4xxx steel wool just to remove the rust not the patina. You will be surprised on just how nicely the firearm cleans up. If a wood repair to the stock or forearm, is needed ( long guns only ) You have three options actually, 1 is to leave it alone, the second is to hunt for a replacement stock which can be easier than you think. and the third is to have it done by a professional in firearm restoration. the third option can be quite expensive to restore it to its orgional condition. If you are ever planing to fire the weapon options 2 or 3 are a must. especially if the firearm has a crack in what is called  the wrist of the stock. Now for minor chips and dings and everyday where and tear and ageing, I myself have done nothing. But major stock repairs must be taken care of. also there is the bore condition, can a barrell be rebored? yes it can but then again its an expensive job. usally a good cleaning usally solves this problem,  Dont use harsh solvents when working on antique/collectable Firarms. US Military LSA works well and can easily be gotten on the civilain
market and is quite inexpensive., about 6 dollars a qt. ( WD-40 and LSA works well for you guys that may find weapons caches that has been packed in cosmoline bayonets are often found with caked with cosmoline. As far as hardware that you may need to restore your firearm there are a number of commercial sources that have the parts you need and the prices are not that expensive for the most part. For you treasure hunters overseas there is a couple of companies here in the US that will send You the parts you need for restoration. If any weapon you find is a machinegun check your local laws before you even attempt to restore it!
I was once told by an ATF agent if you have even a part of a reciver ( usally these are torch cut, once in a blue moon you find a saw cut reciver) and it even has a partial digit of a serial number you are in possiesion of a machine gun! and it does not matter how much of the gun you have so take care on these items. the best way around this to not get into trouble and you wish to restore a machine gun you have several options here in the US. first regester it legally which can be costly!, Number 2 you can purchase what is know as a dummy reciever and put it all together and hang it on the wall. Number 3 You can build a gun in the US out of any pryor exsisting firearm, You can take a machine gun and make it semi- automatic . However You can never sell this firearm!!! you can however leave it in your will to pass on. all rules for firearms apply to whomever your passing this on to. no felony convictions etc. The only exemptions to this rule is black powder weapons & reproductions,( and felony convictions etc can count on these as well depending where you live) as long as they have been not rechambered to fire modern ammuntion. If any one would like information on where to get parts for restorations drop me a line or I can post all the suppliers I use.
             Best Wishes to All .......Rob

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26687.html#msg26687

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:27:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pay the $200.00 tax stamp and you can have a machine gun!  Background check required.

Don't live in California!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26694.html#msg26694

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:37:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Homefire,
                 Yes thats true you have to pay a tax stamp,and go thru a background ck and some firarms were classified as destructive devices so citizans cant own them after the ban. and calf's ban on some weapons are just stupid. but thats another topic. New York State is starting to get that way. thats why I left several years ago with no desire to return. A few states have restrictions on black powder firearms as well as curio & relics reguardless if the ammo is obsolete or not. I do know that when calf started its gun ban policies onn certain firearms a bussiness opened up in Navada for storage of firearms for calf residents. I don't know if this is still open or not. but I do know alot of people I know moved from calf. due to its policies. In Most states however blackpowder firearms are exempt from checks. You just have to be of age.
             Best Wishes,,,,Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26707.html#msg26707

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:03:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I can order a BP pistol from Cabellos and have it delivered UPS. To my House!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26713.html#msg26713

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Homefire,
                Yes you can as well as other places, but there are cheapier places than cabellas,
where are You located?.....Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26717.html#msg26717

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:10:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Deming New Mexico!   It's not the Butt hole of the world, but you can see it from here!   Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26786.html#msg26786

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

HI Homefire,
                 I know NM pretty well I have relitives in Las Cruces, and my Aunt and Uncle owned
a Motel in Deming some Years ago.. Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26789.html#msg26789

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:22:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool!

I would try electrolyse on one if it was really nasty rusted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg26790.html#msg26790

Offline wiser
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:22:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great info...thank you.

I'm about to attempt a few stock repairs myself.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg33715.html#msg33715

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Wiser,
            What type of stock repairs are you going to do?, If they are just nicks and dings from normal wear and usage, I would just leave them. May I ask what type of firearm you are working on?...Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg33817.html#msg33817

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: