[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MarkTwa8nTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 1500
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had a little unexpected time this morning, so I went to the local beach just a mile or so away from my house.  I had hunted here many times and I thought it was all fished out until next summer.  However, I got some tips from some guys on the MD forums on how to tune my GTI1500 for salt-water wet sand, and I was there mainly to test my machine.  But, wow! it worked.  I spent a few hours working the wet sand at low tide and came up with 12,653 yen (around $150!), one tiny 92.5
silver ring with the name "Maki" imprinted inside, one silver plated-diamond chip (probably zirconioms) pendant, and three WWII Japanese rifle shells. I thought I found a gold ring, but it turned out to be a gold-plated back to a laddie's Seiko watch....sigh still no gold yet this year.  But this was my 2nd best day ever and from a place where I didn't expect to find anything but trash.  I deeply appreciate that Japan uses 500, 100, and 50 yen coins in daily transactions, which are worth around $5, $1 and .50 respectively.  Also vending machines are everywhere here.  On every street corner.  Today I used a few of my dirty old coins to buy a 8-pack of AA batteries from a vending machine. near the beach.  How convenient is that?

However.... over the last six months I have hunted exclusively at night.  I only hunted twice in the mornings before, and each time I had a lot of interested bystanders follow me around the beach.  Whenever I stooped over to scoop up a deeply-buried target, I had a small crowed of people looking over my shoulder, waiting to see what I dug up. Understand that I am hunting in Okinawa Japan, which has a very very small number of metal detectionists and the locals and the tourists alike find what I am doing irresistibly curious.  No one has ever been rude to me, but I really feel uncomfortable entertaining a crowd while I hunt.  How do you guys handle this?  Assuming that it ever becomes a problem for you.

Nevertheless, I will continue to hit the resort beaches at night. I have the whole beach to myself then and With a good head-mounted light, I can scoop up targets nearly as fast as I can during the day, and I never need to worry about a crowd of followers. Japan has a very low crime rate and the beaches here are relatively very safe.  I have never felt threatened at all even when hunting alone on the most remote stretches of beach.  However, I am strong 40+ old man.  If I had a teenage or 20-something-year-old daughter I would never let her metal detect on a beach alone at night, no matter how safe I thought it might be.

One tip for night hunting.  Find a head-mounted light that has a red-colored LED light.  I used a bright white light for a while, which worked very well to find targets, but the problem is the bugs.  Even if I only had the light on when I dug items, I would have a swarm of bugs around me...and when I had enough bugs around me I would then have the giant bats swooping around me.  Plus the red-light helps retain your night vision if you choose to hunt by moon-starlight and only use the flash lights for digging/scooping.

Stay Well,   RD

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg130648.html#msg130648

Offline awlthat
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice article wow.  I am new to the boards and new to md haven't even purchased a md yet.  Do not know what to buy.  Very interested in the hunt though.

Karen

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131046.html#msg131046

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on the finds!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131047.html#msg131047

Offline yaktelcom
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

not yet
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Karen I am new too and do not have a detector yet either.  I am going 2 routes.  Tomorrow I am going to buy a Whites Coinmaster and I will build a PI detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131051.html#msg131051

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:20:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by yaktelcom
Karen I am new too and do not have a detector yet either.  I am going 2 routes.  Tomorrow I am going to buy a Whites Coinmaster and I will build a PI detector.

Welcome Smiley Smiley Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131061.html#msg131061

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My solution to on lookers is t okeep a few pulltabs and bottlecaps in your pocket. Pull them out surreptitiously and go oh not again a few times. Tey will soon dissapate as you are obviously (to them) wasting your time on trash. This allws you to recover good targets. Make sure your using a headset so they can't hear what you hear.

Good luck and good digging... Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131068.html#msg131068

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Are you a citizen or tourist or serviceman? Just wondering. Ive been to Japan twice. Ended up in Jail the 2nd time. Big misunderstanding

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131074.html#msg131074

Offline MarkTwa8nTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 1500
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:29:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I guess I am a US citizen residing in Okinawa.   I first came to Japan right after college in 1989...right at the peak of the "bubble."  I only planned to stay a year....but I have been here ever since.  My wife is a Japanese native from Yokohama.  We have lived in a lot of interesting places in Japan.  Kamakura, Yokohama, Tokushima...

However, I have only been metal detecting for the last six months.  At first, my wife saw this hobby as a little pathetic.  Digging in the sand for hours and coming home with a handful of dirty coins.  But then I found a "Ichibu Gin"  a silver coin from the mid 1800's.  Now she sees what I am doing is something more like archaeology instead of something like the homeless guys digging in the trash for aluminum cans.

Last night Nathan Droblyn and I went out to Canucha Beach.  This is one of the most luxurious and expensive resorts on the island.  It has tight security and the last time I tried to hunt here, I never made it through the front gate.  I wasn't a guest nor was I a visiting a guest.  However, thanks to Google maps... I spotted a small back road that lead to the beach from the highway, it completely avoided the resorts compound, so we tried that.  It was an hours drive up north, and we easily found the "road"  However, no one had used this road for a long long time.  The Jungle growth was so thick, we could only drive about 100 meters and had to get out and walk the rest of the way.  About 50 meters away from the resort, we could see the beach in the Christmas lights they had set up, but we couldn't get there.  A land slide had taken out our access road.  But we were not going to give up so easily.  With detectors and scoops in hand, we climbed down the cliff to shore line, and had to wade up to our knees around an outcropping of rocks, and then we finally reached the resort's beach, feeling like Indiana Jones.

Since this is the resort that millionaires like to stay at, we had high hopes of gold and diamond rings littering the beach.  But no such luck.  After an hour, I only found 210 yen.  (A little more than $2 in clad)  Nathan went to hunt the wet sand and I checked out the beach volleyball pit.  I found one more 100 yen coin, buried 8 inches deep!  While I was filling in my hole, a security guard approached me.  I gave him my standard line, "A friend lost a ring here last summer, and we are trying to find it. "  I hunt the resort beaches at night all the time, and this line seems to work best to make things go smoothly and let me continue hunting.  But this time he said, "Really?  The resort has a metal detector just in case a guest looses something valuable. Your friend should have told the front desk, we probably have already found the ring."  Yikes.  Fortunately I was ready to go any way.

We drove 30 minutes further north to Oppama Beach, and again the hunting was slow.  I found about 1,000 yen ($12) Each coin was buried deeper than 6 inches. Nathan found about 500 yen and a stainless steel ring. It seems that all the loot from the summer tourist season is sinking deeper into the sand and is soon to be out of reach unless a typhoon comes soon and removes some of the sand for us.  Nevertheless...it was a lot of fun and quite an adventure.

The machine I am using is a Garrett GTI 1500.  when I bought this machine, I didn't know much anything about detectors.  I only chose this machine because I got it for a very good price on a Japanese auction site.  But after six months of constant use, I love this machine.  It took a while to get used to, but it has some great features.  One of the best is that with surprising accuracy it can tell me how big an item is, what it is likely made of, and how deep.  Since pull tabs and gold rings have about the same conductivity, I spend a lot of time scooping up pulltabs, but I can avoid digging up a beer can buried 12 inches deep.  If you turn on the salt elimination, turn down the sensitivity and put it in jewelry mode, this machine makes a great wet-sand detector.  Only problem is that it isn't water proof.  If I drop it in the ocean it will likely become toast.  Nathan is using a Garrett Infinium PI detector. His machine goes "DEEEP" in the wet sand and water, but he also digs a lot of iron nails and bobby pins.

Stay Well

RD

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131212.html#msg131212

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The rich usually stay near the pool... Beaches are seldom employed. Your better off going were the public goes normally and sticing to that area.

Liked the read. Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131253.html#msg131253

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 05:39:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info MarkTwain. Sounds like alot of fun hunting at night. Ive got to try it sometime

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19844.msg131590.html#msg131590

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: