[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MarkTwa8nTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 1500
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Often when I go beach hunting during the day, I have just an hour or two, so I try to dig up targets as quickly as possible.  I was getting a system down using a small short-handled scoop and a Garrett Pinpointer pro.  This works great for shallow targets (say under six inches deep) but for anything deeper it sometimes takes too long to find the target.  So I thought I would try a bigger scoop and ordered the Beach Brute Scoop from Kellyco.  My hat is off to Kellyko. They shipped the scoop to Japan and got it here in less than a week.

If you have seen this scoop in person, then you already know that "scoop" is not the right word for this tool.  I prefer "The Dredge"  It is truly a monster. It weighs about 5 pounds, is about 57 inches long, and the bucket is 8 and a half inches wide.  I read those specs before I ordered, but they didn't register clearly until I unboxed this behemoth. I don't know if this is the biggest scoop on the market, but it has got to be up there.  Unless you are King Kong, I can't imagine anyone needing a bigger scoop than "he Dredge".

{alt}

The bucket is so big that I hardly need to pinpoint anymore.  I can dig up about six inches of sand in one scoop.  I dug up a 100 yen coin today that was buried over 12 inches deep.  That would have taken several long hard minutes with my old scoop, but "The Dredge" had it up it just two scoops!

The only problem is that "The Dredge" is a little too big.  I am a rather strong, fit guy, but after using this scoop for an hour and digging up say 50 targets, I was getting exhausted. I used the detector to make sure that the target was in the scoop, but sifting that huge bucket of sand is quite a chore after awhile.

I decided the best approach for me, at least for hunting dry sand, is to throw "The Dredge" down on the beach, and search the area around it. Since the beach was deserted today, I could search quite a distance away without worrying about anyone tripping over it. If my GTI 1500 says the target is less than six inches, I quickly recover it with the little scoop, but if the target is deeper than that, I mark the spot with the little scoop and go pick up "The Dredge" to dig that target up.

The scoop is made of Aluminum, so I was worried about the digging edge bending, but I didn't have any problems, and I was really stomping on it to get to the really deep targets.

If you have some muscle and hunt a lot of deep targets on the beach, then you might want to add this scoop to your arsenal. I am glad that I did.  I am not affiliated with kellyco in any way.  Just a satisfied customer.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19977.msg131668.html#msg131668
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/images/access/long-scoop/brute_519-202f.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the review. Looks like it could save one a daily trip to the gym.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19977.msg131733.html#msg131733

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnugget
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Excaliber-X S -Pro -Fisher 1260
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Suggestion is take a few scoops from the Hole . I'm still nursing a Shoulder injury from a year ago. Finaly went to have the Shoulder X-Rayed Yesterday( 12-21-2010 ) and schelduled for another Doctors visit next week, then maybe an MRI. I use a Minelab Excalibur and a (Dredge also)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19977.msg133179.html#msg133179

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:35:46 pm by goldnugget »
Offline MarkTwa8nTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 1500
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:46:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

OK... I have used the "Dredge" on five hunts now, and I think I am going to retire it.  Let me explain.  For me, speed is everything.  Typically, I have just an hour or two at a time to hunt.  I try to maximize my efficiency.  The Dredge makes my digging easier on my back and knees.  For deep targets the Dredge is much faster, but for shallow targets (six inches or less) I am much faster with my hand held scoop.

I tried using both scoops; carrying the handheld scoop in my utility belt and dragging the Dredge. This just felt clumsy, so I would plant the Dredge in the sand and search the beach 20 meters or so around it.  If I found a good deep target I would mark the spot with an "X" and go get the Dredge.  This works, but I don't seem to be able to cover as much beach nor find as many targets as when I just use the hand held scoop alone .  The Dredge isn't that heavy, but it is very big and a little awkward to carry.  I always fear that I am going to accidentally hurt myself when I carry it.

Another small annoyance is that when assembled, the Dredge won't fit in my trunk.  The handle is too long.  The handle easily comes off with a screwdriver, but I resent having to assemble and disassemble my scoop every time I move.

Another point to consider...the Dredge attracts a lot of attention.  When I hunted Azama Beach, I had only started hunted for a few minutes when a security guy came running up, wondering what I was doing.  He had seen the Dredge and assumed that I was looking for unexploded mortar shells. Okinawa still has these around, and sometimes when I dig deep enough I find them.  I gave him my standard line that a friend lost a ring here and I am trying to find it...don't mind the giant scoop.  I promise not to leave any 6 foot craters on the beach.  Most of the time I hunt at night, so that wouldn't be an issue, but during the day, that giant scoop sure does get a lot of attention.  On the other hand, most of the curious beach tourists avoided me.  I must look a lot more threatening with the Dredge.

I am a rather fit, strong guy, but after using the Dredge for awhile, my shoulder started to hurt.  The first day, I actually tried to sift sand through the monster.  I didn't weigh it, but I'd guess that when the Dredge's bucket is full, it weighs about 30 pounds. That is a lot of weight to sift.  Then someone pointed out, that it makes more sense to just spill the sand out and search that pile.  Still... hoisting that bucket and rotating your shoulder to dump out the sand, seems to put a lot of stress on my shoulder joint.

So... if you dig mostly deep holes or work in the water, or if you or your metal detector suck at pinpointing...then this scoop makes a lot of sense. The bucket is huge and can move a lot of sand in a hurry.  The down side is that this scoop is very very large and can really wreak havoc on your bones if you are not careful.  Eventually I will get a good water detector, and then I am sure the Dredge will prove more useful.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19977.msg133298.html#msg133298

Offline goldnugget
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Excaliber-X S -Pro -Fisher 1260
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:55:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

I use about all of  the Digging tools and scoops that you can think of. If you are ( young under 100 ) then everyone should try the 3 prong garden tool. I learned from a Pro in 1980 about this tool, plan on spending aout $ 5.00 from Lowes,get one with strong claws. This item is Great In Dry Sand or the Wet Sands and you can get Deep very Quick, it will bring out the Rings also. No more breaking your wrist. Do not use a digging trowel ( you'll hurt your wrist with the prying. A Good Sand scoop is also good in the dry sand, but I like to cut down the weight.goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19977.msg133705.html#msg133705

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: