[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dinglediTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:01:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, would anyone with experience of a Garrett Mark II wish to give a newbie some advice for optimum settings? I am doing some beach hunting and would love to get to grips with this machine quickly and any advice most welcome. What's the best settings to hopefully get to the gold rings and other useful targets fast?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg81987.html#msg81987

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The best setting is to hover it over a ring. Don't laugh. That's the ONLY way. If you want to find lost rings, go to where people swim. It's as simple as that. As to a "best setting?" That's more about setting it for the site you are searching but only you can determine it after you get there. You have to decide based on local conditions in and out of the water. Read your manual for more on that.

As you can see, I speak from experience as a long time owner and user of a Sea Hunter.

There is one tip I can give you. Tie a small gold ring to a string very securely. I use mono-filament fishing line for that. Drop it in the water holding on the the string and see how your machine reacts in a variety of settings. Then bury it in sand to about 6 inches and do the same thing. The string will allow you to retrieve it and keep the owner happy. Since gold in water doesn't rust or tarnish, you will get the same reaction for a ring just buried as you will for one lost 20 years ago.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg82102.html#msg82102

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:22:50 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline dinglediTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United Kingdom

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:42:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your tip of the ring on a string, easy when you know how but I had not thought of that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg82121.html#msg82121

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher x 1265 * Garrett ace 250  * Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Goldigger 1950 i just purchased a Sea Hunter mark 2 and it doesn't operate like the video says, almost no discrimination at all, i buried a penny, dime, quarter, pull tab and a bottle cap at 3" deep. Running in std mode all came through at disc #9

In the discrete mode the same but it cancelled out the pull tab. Have call in to Garrett but nothing yet.

Any help would be appreciated

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84362.html#msg84362

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dinger45
Hey Goldigger 1950 i just purchased a Sea Hunter mark 2 and it doesn't operate like the video says, almost no discrimination at all, i buried a penny, dime, quarter, pull tab and a bottle cap at 3" deep. Running in std mode all came through at disc #9

In the discrete mode the same but it cancelled out the pull tab. Have call in to Garrett but nothing yet.

Any help would be appreciated

You don't have any other adjustments from the panel so I'd say it's not working and there's nothing you can do except have it repaired.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84384.html#msg84384

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thats what i thought, i will be sending it back to Garrett.

Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84432.html#msg84432

Offline metlhed
Pull Tab

Beep dig, beep dig......
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:26:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on getting the Sea Hunter! Great It's a really great machine!  Detecting GD gives some great advice!

I personally run mine in discreet trash elimination mode with elimination set to zero. It seems to run more stable in discreet mode. I may touch the elimination up a bit as required for better stability. When I hit on a target, I switch to standard trash elimination mode for a stronger signal to pinpoint.
I seldom use the elimination to knock out pulltabs. However, if I find myself in an area that is absolutely infested with pulltabs I will turn the elimination up(discreet)until a pulltab no longer responds and my wedding band still does. This works much better with the 8" mono search coil. You will lose some depth when you eliminate pulltabs, but you'll still be hittin' on iron targets quite deeply. You just can't get around iron with this pulse induction unit. No no!
I personally prefer the 10"x14" mono search coil. It is quite a bit deeper than the 8". I always hip mount the control box as well.
I hope you have a big long handled sand scoop. You're gonna need it. You'll be finding all the gold that the guys using VLF units walked right over. Cool Best of luck to ya! Happy Hunting! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84436.html#msg84436

The only thing that I hate more than digging pulltabs is missing a gold ring!

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 07:43:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks metlhed, the problem i have right now is that high discrimination only blocks out quarters but not pull tabs and bottle caps at the #9 discrimination settings, back to the garden this morning to test some more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84439.html#msg84439

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:35:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dinger45
Thanks metlhed, the problem i have right now is that high discrimination only blocks out quarters but not pull tabs and bottle caps at the #9 discrimination settings, back to the garden this morning to test some more.

It acts backwards from the description you give. How odd. Because I don't use discrimination at all, I had to go and test mine. Living in Australia means I had to use coins of equivalent size but mine picks up the Aussie 10c piece (nearly quarter sized) just fine.

There's one thing to remember on this issue and that is even the same model number had different revisions from Garrett. Make sure you have the correct owners manual which you can download from their site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg84503.html#msg84503

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:47:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Garrett is such a GREAT company, they returned my email and said from what i explained that the unit i had, seems to not be operating properly and sent a pick up from ups and will send me a new unit when the old one arrives, can't get much better than that!

Thanks Garrett for your understanding and help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12966.msg86829.html#msg86829

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: