[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomoTopic starter
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A long handled scoop is needed for retrieving finds in water. I'd like to hear ideas on how to build a longhandled recovery scoop for water hunting. Give me some ideas. Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10964.msg70001.html#msg70001

Offline Bishop
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

South Africa

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Basic Metal detector, homebuilt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a random idea - build a scoop withe the coil above it and slightly in front of it, so that as soon as it beeps you just scoop down and forward to get the metal. i'd make it angle in front of you at min Max 60 degrees, otherwise scooping is more difficult.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10964.msg72260.html#msg72260

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tm,

heres a link to what Kelco have on offer

Please Register or Login

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

However I dont like any of them the only good part is the actual scoop itself. People forget that when they use a straight handle such as is illustrated they have to push that long handle forward in order to get the scoop in the sand.  In doing so you have to bend your back forward which is and can be dangerous because when you bend over thats the time back injuries occur.
IF your serious about making a scoop you really need to put a bend at about 90 degrees at elbow leval so that you have and L shape towards the back of the scoop itself.
Now what this does it allows you to be able to angle the scoop into a digging position whilst keeping your back straight at all times.
It also allows you a confortable position in which whist still upright to pull against the scoop in order to recover the contents and bring it to the surface.  unfortunately I dont have any pics of my scoops that I made but if I can find one I will post a pic of it on here.
In the meantime i suggest you google scoops and see if you can find something similar. I feel sure you will but be very carefull about using straught long handled scoops because once you weaken or damage your back you will be out of business for ages if not forever.
You have been warned. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10964.msg72264.html#msg72264

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: