[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:10:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, here we are, at the beach, detector in hand, sand scoop, sunglasses, sun screen, hat, coin pouch, plenty of fresh water and looking at a stretch of sand that goes for miles and miles. Acres and acres of sand just full of goodies waiting to be found. At the end of the day, your finds pouch will be full or empty depending on your technique and skill. The first, technique, is learned. The second, skill, is developed over time. Both are essential to a good return on your time.

First, skill. For every target you dig, your skill level will increase. Every sound from a target sounds ever so slightly different from another in most metal detectors. Your brain will interpret those sounds and remember them even if you don't try to do it consciously. Those whispers of a coin at depth will come back to the forefront of your thoughts each time you hear it. As time goes on and you dig more and more, those sound "lessons" will be refined to the point that you can almost predict what you will see in your scoop. But then, there is always the surprise like a gold ring in place of what you thought was a nickel or a pull tab. Don't despair. Just love the gold ring and move on. But keep in mind that just the digging and revelation of your target will always increase your skill level. So get out there and dig, dig, dig for the sake of future digging.

Technique is more complicated. Some like to find the coin line on the beach. Others like to find the coin line in the surf's edge. How do you locate it? Two schools of thought exist on this. Looking for the blanket marks and the footprint activity is one way and a good one. Don't forget to look from those points to the nearest concession stand area where kids are sent on their mission to get cold drinks and food. They are notoriously good at losing their change on the way back. Both the blanket line and the paths to and from are excellent coin rich areas.

Some like to zig-zag from the water's edge to the crest of the dry sand and a bit beyond. When they locate a segment of the beach that is the most productive, they switch to following that newly derived coin line, staying parallel to the waterfront.

Beginners at beach hunting should try both techniques or even alternate between them just for fun.

The next thing to learn as far as technique goes is patience. No matter how your machine works, motion or non-motion, VLF/TR or Pulse Induction, the key to finding treasure at the beach is slow, low swings and patience to hear the deeper signals. Sand shifts around on beaches grain by grain and an area that was completely dead a week ago could have been uncovered today to reveal coins that have been there for 100 years. The beach is often seen as a renewable resource with new stuff being dropped every weekend but the really savvy detector users know that the occasional beach erosion of a windy day will often reveal more than a Monday morning trip to the beach.

On the beach, it is all right to be distracted. Moving along in your coin line and finding a target at the edge of it is reason enough to leap off of your defined path and dig the target. You can always look to your own footprints in the sand to get back into your search pattern but there's never a guarantee that you will locate a target if you give it a miss believing you will see it again on the way back. So, go ahead and get distracted and dig. If it happens to be a good target instead of trash, the next technique is critical.

Dig a good target? That means something was dropped there of value. If so, you have an increased chance of digging more goodies from the immediate area so the next thing to do is begin a grid search around that keeper. Start from the same hole going slowly in ever increasing circles around the target you just dug. Quite often you will find that coins are spilled in a bunch, not just one by one. An engagement ring taken off and placed on a blanket could have been accompanied by a wedding band and both might have been shaken from the blanket together. Searching in an area around a significant find might result in a big haul from a very small area.

The most unusual targets can be treasure. A partially empty cigarette package is often used as a "beach wallet" by smokers. They put cash into the box and their coin change. More than one lost package of smokes has revealed a lighter and money in it. The foil wrapper makes it a great target and some treasure hunters see the package and toss it without ever looking inside.

I could go on and on about beach hunting because I do love to get out on the sand or in the water for a snorkel with my Sea Hunter but others will come along and add their tips in this topic. One last hint here. Keep all of your trash until you are done hunting. This allows you to answer the inevitable "What are you looking for?" questions. You can show them the trash and give them the realistic idea that you are a good person, cleaning their beach while enjoying your hobby. Showing them sparkler wires, bottle caps, pull tabs and tent pegs might even convince them to wear foot protection even on what looks like clean beach sand. Never show them jewelry but a few coins displayed is all right. If you show someone jewelry, the next thing you will hear is "Hey, that's mine!"

And that's my very small collection of random thoughts on beach hunting. The beach is an all season treasure location. Get out there and have a great day.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9419.msg59577.html#msg59577

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:03:30 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline pegasus
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250. C-scope cs6 p.i
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:10:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Liked your random thoughts GD, some good tips there. Just a random thought of my own. I didnt really believe that there was a "coin line"on the beach until a few days ago when i detected a beach here in South Devon. We had strong South- westerly gales blowing all week and this had stripped off the top couple of inches of sand above the high water line. I had been searching the low tide area without much luck so i decided to try the dry sand for an hour before going home. I found about 30 coins , mostly badly corroded pennies but enough good stuff to make it worthwhile, but the point is they were all in a rough line about six feet wide and about half of them were lying on the surface just waiting to be picked up. It was getting dark and i had to give up but ill be back again next week and do the dry sand first this time. There really is a coin line!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9419.msg59691.html#msg59691

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD,
     Thanks for the well thought out pointers.   This desert rat is headed to the beach next week and was looking for something concise like this.    I plan on taking my laptop with me so I can check tips while I'm in the airport or at the hotel, but there's no guarantee of a connection----so having these pointers printed out as a quick 'reminder' is going to be a big help.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9419.msg59904.html#msg59904

Offline pulltabmillionaire
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter pioneer ex
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:21:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

THANKS , I am headed to the beach in a couple of weeks and this is the first time I will have a detector with me , maybe this will make it more productive...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9419.msg187424.html#msg187424

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: