[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:02:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by twiasp
Only reason I will be going with the MXT Pro instead of MXT is its only a 50 dollar difference for a few more bells and whistles.

The sad fact is that your difference in price may hide a vastly different level of usefulness. Some of the things that different manufacturers do is not related to the knobs, bells and whistles alone. They are related to things you simply cannot see with your eyes alone or by reading answers here from devoted users of one brand or another. This is a problem for most beginners just starting out. Some of the invisible yet crucial attributes are:

1. Field Strength of the TX field.
2. RX sensitivity and noise rejection.
3. Field pattern(s) of the machine.
4. Pulse width of the TX blanking time (in PI machines).
5. Type of discrimination.
6. Ground balance veracity (this is important - read more below).
7. Cable integrity between coil and control box.
8. Warranty.

The veracity (truth and accuracy) of ground balancing is an opinion in the engineering community - not an exact science. If you absolutely know the soil below your coil, you can design a circuit that will make it transparent down to the depth capability of the detector. That much is fact, rather than opinion. Since there are a bazilliion soild types in this world, there cannot ever be a perfect match on ground balance. Ever. This is also a fact. Thus, the claim of an accurate or truthful ground balancing are carefully worded to indicate that their circuit can take care of most, not all, soil conditions. Leaves them an out and tells the truth. This is why the newer PI machines are so popular these days. There's not need for ground balancing at all because they do not respond to mineralization.

I hope you are beginning to understand the complexity of making a choice. .You already have caution in mind by asking but to expect an answer is just so illogical. Your choice is going to be based on some physical attributes like weight, size and ease of control box use. Some of those things are important and some are simply just not worthy of concern. The invisible attributes are far more important and for those, you need to read the technical literature provided by the manufacturer. I have, in my experience, found that all traditional metal detector manufacturers of the major brands to be truthful in their advertising. Even on ground balance. If you have serious questions, you can actually look up patents held by those companies and used in their machines. Then you can read the actual theory, if you are so inclined, of their operation in detail.

Once again I will advise you to look into yourself and determing what your targets are going to be. The detector that is perfect for you to find rings, coins and jewelry will not be suitable for finding a chest full of gold. Just last week I found this absolutely enormous signal target that went the length of a stone foundation. I was very excited and started digging. I found a 12 foot pipe that had been cast there probably during demolition of the ice house which once stood there. Such is life.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237915.html#msg237915

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline twiaspTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:10:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Friend that I will be metal detecting with some, is all interested in me buying an metal detector and decided he would like to buy one also.  He will be getting the same detector as me after he researched what was in his budget. The owner of the shop offered to shave the price down some for both of us for the referral business. The detector is already trying to pay for itself even before i purchase it  Shocked

Posted on: December 08, 2012, 02:05:26 AM
Golddigger could you maybe steer me towards a good resource for understanding the patterns below different coil types in general, that maybe isn't as in depth as looking at schematics for the actual machine. Kind of a dummies guide to understanding how it works, to start with, instead of seeing every single diode and transistor in a machine?  If no way or any resource that dumbs it down for beginners then i fully understand, just a thought.

Thanks,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg238198.html#msg238198

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 08:24:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by twiasp
Golddigger could you maybe steer me towards a good resource for understanding the patterns below different coil types in general,

They're all pretty much the same as far as the signal pattern goes. An upside down cone. The two major differences are in the Double D coil and the standard round or oval coil. The method of pinpointing is the difference and you can learn either with practice. You need no advice on choosing. Just pick the best deal for your money.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg238209.html#msg238209

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline twiaspTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:40:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just bought my White's MXT Pro with a White's Eclipse DD (10x6) Coil, and a Lesche digger. Now time to put it together and learn my machine some before taking it out for some fun.  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg238414.html#msg238414

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: