[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline twiaspTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:08:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am looking at buying a Whites MXT Pro with a 9.5 coil. The place i have found locally is selling one for 700.00 dollars, and comes with the bonus kit of a Bullseye II pinpointer (the only useful thing) and a bunch of other junk (plastic shovel, bags, etc..)  While the Bullseye II pinpointer is nice and durable and have used it some before, i was more interested in a Garretts Pro pinpointer or heard rumors of a new Whites pinpointer coming out soon, maybe before Christmas, that is the same style as the Garretts Pro, and maybe a better poinpointer.

Other items i am looking to buy or considering:

~Lesche digging tool
~tool belt of some sorts
~already have some latex dipped gloves (seem to protect from cuts at the same time of not sacrificing dexterity, and they are only 3 bucks a pair)
~Looking for a knee pad of sorts, noticed that when i dig my right knee gets cuts on it from twigs and such, trying to prevent this being a normal thing.
~LED headlamp or something to see in dark. What is a good lumens range to get. Do the LED lights burn out often and are they easily replaced or have to re-buy a new light?
~I have my old David Clark Headset from when i was in the Air Force, it has volume control on it built in and noise cancellation, so think i am set for that.

Any ideas or advice on any of this subject is more than welcome.  I am kind of a planner before a purchase if you can't tell, and feel blessed that a friend let me borrow her detector for a bit to get a grip on what i think i may need.

Shocked

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237815.html#msg237815

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:10:08 pm by twiasp »
Offline jaskel
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Boring Bounty Hunter, Whites Coinmaster(new version) soon to have Xterra 705
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Led wont burn out, I've been running LED foggys on my car for years, all my torches are led, pretty much any lights I have are led!

As for lumens, don't worry about that, most are BS figures. Look for watts, something with a few 3w LEDs will give plenty if light! Try to get lithium batteries, better light output and longer lasting.

Good luck Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237843.html#msg237843

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:46:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

twiasp

It hard to recommend a detector not knowing what kind of hunting and where you intend to do it. The MXT is a good machine go for it pin pointers are useless in my option a waste of time. Learn to use you machine and you will have little use for one.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237857.html#msg237857

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:58:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Two things determine which machine to buy. Your intended targets and your budget. Both are equal in weight and you alone can determine your first machine.

If you get advice and it turns out to be bad advice, what then? I guess you can always blame someone else at that stage. Is that what you really want? A scapegoat? I didn't think so. Use the words of the advertisers and trust them to give you genuine information on their products. The competition is far too fierce for them to lie about their machine's abilities. The word would get out so fast on places like this forum that they'd be out of business by the end of next week.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237859.html#msg237859

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Adrian See
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

935.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites quantum2,QXTpro, MXTpro /Minelag excalibur 1000
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:49:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

You wont get hurt with the MXTpro , but the extra functions did not make it any better than the MXT the back light is great and if you don't like the detector you can get your money back on a resale but here I at home I have rarely used the back light in the summer the nights are hot and we have allot of rattle snakes that hunt at night and some mountain lions close to home so I like to be able to see whats around me  Shocked  shop around and weigh your options lots of places you can find reviews on just about any detector you can find online.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237865.html#msg237865

GO FIND YOUR FORTUNE !!!!

Donkey Kong  
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the advice.

Good tip on the LED lights, was being rather confused by the Lumens, Lux, Watts, talk on most i have researched.

I will be coin/jewelery hunting mostly but with some relic hunting of old indian campsites and homesteads. Think i will stick with the free pinpointer that comes with the purchase and try and learn to not use one at all through practice.

I never look to blame somebody else for a decision I make, was just looking for any input that maybe I had not seen through my own research.

Thanks for tip on backlit LED, didn't really think about it robbing my night vision, or making me a beacon for wild life.

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237875.html#msg237875

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by twiasp
I never look to blame somebody else for a decision I make, was just looking for any input that maybe I had not seen through my own research.

Sorry, but you give every appearance of that being your motivation. Otherwise, you seem a smart fellow able to look at the choices. Take it personal if you wish but my comment was simply a generic opinion of your appearance - not an accusation.

I know the feeling of spending upwards of $1000.00 for a machine only to find out it lacks features that you later wished you had. Like I said earlier, trust the manufacturers of traditional metal detectors - particularly the major brands. Then, look to your budget after you evaluate the hardware against what you are seeking. Does that make sense?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237889.html#msg237889

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:51:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep makes sense, I wasn't being on the offensive and take no offense either.   Grin  I have spoken to several people personally that I have met through this website, friends that MD, owner of the MD shop (super nice fellow), and a friend from another website, along with doing tons of research myself.  Only reason I will be going with the MXT Pro instead of MXT is its only a 50 dollar difference for a few more bells and whistles.  I have the inquisitive nature of a 4 year old coupled with the old builders mentality of "measure twice and cut once". But my original intention was to just ask since lord knows how many years of experience are on these forums, and in the chance that it helps me avoid some unforeseen pitfall, then bonus!  Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237893.html#msg237893

Offline williamsingr
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Authorized White's Dealer, V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dont forget to get a good pair of comfortable headphones, they will greatly extend the battery life of the MXT PRO, the Banco's are nice fitting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237900.html#msg237900

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have my old David Clark ones from the military, they have volume control and we used to buy some nice leather earmuffs and sheepswool top then, took them from mildly uncomfortable to a wow comfortable.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38606.msg237901.html#msg237901

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: