[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 03:15:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry Bud

Maybe its an Appletree in your neighbourhood . lol   I forgot your not tropical there.

We used to have at least  one Mango tree they get to be about 40 ft high and about 30 ft round and they fruit around Christmas thats our summer and we used to have a Macadamia Nut tree it got to about the same size and it used to drop nuts about 20 mill dia on the ground and if you had to do the mowing you had to wear chin guards because the nuts were as hard as a rock and would richochet of your chins and we had an Outhouse but we call it a Dunny

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg28856.html#msg28856

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is no justice. Macadamias are my absolute favorite and I pay $6.00 a pound for them.....And you are squashing them with a mower. LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg28913.html#msg28913

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Macadamia nut trees are a native tree of Queensland Australia . but now they are all over the world .  The shell is very hard like a marble and we put them on the bench and whack them with a hammer to break them open , trying not to hit your fingers at the same time  lol , done that plenty of times .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg28915.html#msg28915

Offline Silver seeker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites mxt  950 coil&6inch dd
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 05:01:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

HI Desimund

I was reading the posts about places to hunt for coins and Bud has some good ideas. Everything he said has worked for me.

A few things that worked for me is to read everything I can about the area that I want to hunt, spend some time in the library
looking thru old newspapers,you will be surprised what you will learn.I have been able to open new areas to look just by reading
what the area was like years ago. At times the research is as much fun as finding the treasure your after. When you are in a park
to look for coins take a few minutes and look around.Has the ground been filled in , are the trees old growth, do the roots stick out
of the ground, maybe you will run into someone from the area that can give you a little history of the park and if you can take notes,
that will help,you can not remember everything that you will find out about a location.(one tip about old trees, dont pass up looking
around the base.It provided a place for people to sit,eat , have some shade and coin to fall out of their pockets). Remember when
your looking people will come up to you and ask  about your hobby,be freindly, if you see trash on the ground, pick it up. It leaves a good calling card for the hobby. I have even had people come up and say,why dont you look by my house it was built 100 years ago
and i say YOU BET! and thankyou.

Good Luck,

SilverSeeker    Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg31236.html#msg31236

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 08:35:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Des Smiley                                 It does payoff to do research .  I looked on the web at my local councils web page , and they list all of the historical sites in their shire .  These sites are listed as heritage sites and they give the dates and history of each site.
                                    I used some of this information to look at a creek crossing that had been used by the early pioneers of this area 1825 era. before a bridge was built further upstream .  I went detecting there the other day and found quite a few old pennies from 1911 onwards . I was suprised and happy with the results from a simple search on the web .
                                    Without this research it would have  been  near impossible to find that  valueable site so easily ,  this will promped a lot more visits to this creek crossing in the future. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg31253.html#msg31253

Offline coincounter75
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers f75
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

where i live there is a flea market that sets up on a gravel lot..  havent found a better way to spend a sunday afternoon yet unless the steelers are on

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg31717.html#msg31717

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aussie
                The only problem around my neck of the woods is there is nothing that old around here only the Botanical  Gardens  in the middle of the city and if they caught you digging up the place they would hang you off one of their big oak trees .
             The next best place is The Gold Coast , a 20 mile beach at Surfers Paradise it is a world renowend hotspot for tourists , millions from around the world go there all year through . The only trouble is not only do they have a truck mounted sand cleaner go through there at dawn every day but hundreds of detectorists hit the place every morning as well .  We have about 10000miles of beaches but most of it doesnt have any people visit . The only hope is the little country towns or the old ghost towns but you have to travel hundreds of miles to get to some of them .   But we do have some very good gold nugget areas if you want to go bush for a few weeks.

Try looking at some old regional maps printed before the switch to decimal coinage. Those parks listed there will be old enough to contain silver and possibly gold coins using the sophisticated equipment you have today versus the stuff used back in the 1970s and '80s. Give it a go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg35548.html#msg35548

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:23:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hey in any place thats out in the open where money changed hands ( old park snack stands --under old open type bleachers where folks jumped up and down as "their" team scored --dumping change out (under the stands)-- ANYWHERE folks do / did  sports --swimming and picnicing * is good --- look for useage in -- 1964 or before if you want silver coinage .

most modern tot lots and "new parks" have only modern "clad" coinage -- (worth only face value)-- since their is no silver in them -- but sometimes a bit a jewelry is found at these parks.

research and learning about one's local history will lead you to better places to hunt and better overall finds in general.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg35645.html#msg35645

Offline BOBBYC
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TESORO VAQ, BH LANDSTAR ,BH PIONEER 101
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 06:05:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I check along the sidewalks in yards and on the streets it works well for me  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg36344.html#msg36344

Offline Sonya
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

md 3080
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 07:33:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is one of the first threads I have read completely and I am appreciating all the advice given.  Very eager to give it a shot.  Right across the highway from my house there are train tracks and what used to be a house that was torn down about 8 years ago.   In the olden days, it was a station for the railway.  Might be of interest to see what is there though I expect there would be alot of items like nails, etc.  Supposed to rain all weekend here but will try to get out after the yard sales (or should I say garage sales for the ones that will still be on)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg36413.html#msg36413

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: