[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MuttpuppyTopic starter
Copper Member

I clean up well, when I clean up
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:56:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Having been a fan of metal detected my whole life, it wasn't until recently when I was back visiting my home town in Michigan and purchased my very first metal detector. While every one is enjoying big game hunting season in Idaho (my current residence), I am enjoying "hunting" of a different kind. Yesterday a friend of mine said she found a statistic that states only 3% of people who metal detect are FEMALE. Is this correct? So far, the only people who have been hunting companions with me have been female, and being female myself, I would love to meet more girls to go out hunting with. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48148.html#msg48148

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:35:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, first of all congratulatons for having decided to buy your first detector. I'm sure it will give you much fun and excitement.

Unfortunately you are right that the number of femal detectorists is rather small. Infct I think that Great Britain and the USA are the two countries with the biggest percentage of female detectorits. In Germany for exmaple where I am living I woluld want to think that it is even less than 1%. It is a pitty and I sure hope that it will change one day.

But don not let this get you down. Besides these figures there are still many kind female and of course also male detecting buddies out there.

I Look forward to reading your postings.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48303.html#msg48303

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:34:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Take no notice of statistics, just go out and enjoy YOUR hobby. And if you can encourage other females to join in too. Yes, it?s a sad fact that females don?t seem to find some hobbies as exciting as men do, men don?t seem to find some of the more so called female hobbes exciting either, but with a little work and encouragement, barriers acn be broken. And it?s amazing, but most females once having tried detecing (Hunting), actually become even more hooked on it than most males.
So keep at it and enjoy it.
HH Ray  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48320.html#msg48320

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline JDL
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

True my Mrs has now become interested in Metal detecting after coming out with me one morning not find anythink interesting only a few items of junk and a large brass door hook which made the detector sound off real clear.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48326.html#msg48326

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by muttpuppy
Having been a fan of metal detected my whole life, it wasn't until recently when I was back visiting my home town in Michigan and purchased my very first metal detector. While every one is enjoying big game hunting season in Idaho (my current residence), I am enjoying "hunting" of a different kind. Yesterday a friend of mine said she found a statistic that states only 3% of people who metal detect are FEMALE. Is this correct? So far, the only people who have been hunting companions with me have been female, and being female myself, I would love to meet more girls to go out hunting with. 

I have two lady friends here in Perth who treasure hunt. One is a gorgeous young gal who approached me one summer day as I worked a beach in the early Monday morning hours one day just after sunrise. She was jogging past in a bikini and due to my advancing age I barely noticed. Ahem. If you believe that . . .

She asked me what I was finding and I told her the truth. "Mostly junk but a few goodies mixed in." I showed her and she was grinning from ear to ear as she pointed to a MatchBox toy car. "Hey, I used to have one of those!" I asked her if she wanted to give it a try and she eagerly agreed. I showed her the basics and off she went. She was a quick study and found a handful of stuff in no time at all. Promising to stop by on her return from jogging, she departed. On her way back, we talked a bit more. She was 17, going to University in the autumn and had done nothing but think about metal detecting on the rest of her jog. We exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I also told her about the two local shops here.

Two months later, she's on a short break from school and out on the beach swinging her Ace250 with a pouch full of finds. I told her about these forums but she told me she doesn't even Facebook, Twitter or MySpace so joining a forum was not to be. She rings me now and again, threatening to organize a hunt for us both each time she calls. She's done this for the better part of 18 months now and still no hunt. I'll bump into her someday at the beach again.

Then there's M......, the mother of two active kids who saw me walking back to my car one day carrying my detector. She stopped me and asked about how the beach was since her and her hubby had a detector. They'd only used it once and were disappointed. I showed her around $40.00 in modern coins and her eyes nearly fell out. They had found a 20c piece and several beer bottle caps. After a long chat, I broke out my other machine which was the same model as hers to show her some of the finer points of using it. Again, exchanging phone numbers, we will eventually do some hunting together.

Mind you, my male hunting partners outweigh the ladies in numbers but not at all in enthusiasm. That's a dead heat. Once you're hooked on this hobby, it's all over but the shouting.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you either find the female treasure hunters you are seeking or the companionship of another treasure hunter nearby. Companionship and real friendship are the end result of a common interest in this hobby.

Here's a poster for your wall. You can download it after you get your 15 posts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48338.html#msg48338

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

MD_Fever.pdf

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:14:15 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have become totally hooked...looking forward to finding my first old coin. There seems to be interest from my girlfriends. Yesterday a friend tried out my MD and was so excited she told her husband that she is going to order her very own. I was also asked to come an look on their property today (as long as the rain stays away). Thanks for the posts! I enjoy reading them!
 Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48341.html#msg48341

Offline JDL
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 12:38:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

love the poster GoldDigger1950, very true as well

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48346.html#msg48346

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

JDL, it was a boring, rainy day when I made that poster.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48347.html#msg48347

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:46:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

looking forward to seeing the poster you made! better hurry up and get my 15!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48352.html#msg48352

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:51:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by muttpuppy
looking forward to seeing the poster you made! better hurry up and get my 15!

It was attached to that long post I made in this topic.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7718.msg48355.html#msg48355

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: