[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bkjeppTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:07:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a basic bounty hunter and I am looking for gold nuggets. It will not pick up small amounts of gold. Will  changing the  detector coil to bounty hunters gold coil help, or do I need a detector spicificaly desigened for finding gold?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19676.msg129161.html#msg129161

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:05:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok It's a wonderful World out thar.

Go Dig it all up. If you don't, I will.

Welcome from New Mexico.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19676.msg129177.html#msg129177

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Im new also and have a bounty hunter 202. Mine likes coins, pennys and silver. I sometimes pick up small metal screws or tin. It can find a tin can at a foot or more. Detecting around gates or iron causes it to give false readings for me. Pultabs cause it to go crazy.

Most items will be no deeper than 5 inches. The depth gage accuracy depends on what else is in the ground. I get a lot of multiple targets. I cen usually kick most targets out of loose soil.

I dont know your model but will tell you to use notch mode. You can use a "like item" and set the sensitivity close to what you want. All metal mode does well in clean areas or when Im searching for ruins. I like ruins and you know when to switch to notch mode. The BH 202 is a simple thumb press, and of course 2 second delay. I can cover a lot of ground fast till I get a strong signal.

I set my sensitivity/on button to 3 oclock. My disc/notch button at 2 oclock for best results. Large items like sprinkler heads, and cans will give a silver signal on the ends, and a iron signal in the middle. You can tell its a can but the size of area that beeps.

I have practiced with my Bounty Hunter in various types of locations with mixed results. The manual will help you a little. Research the area you want to search. Imagine what was there 50 years ago. There is online maps and such.

I am using my Bounty Hunter to refine my skills and save up for a more complex machine.  Remember use the notch button unless you want to dig everything. Oh, you may want to get a pinpointer. Harbor Frieght sells one for under $20 bucks.

I have found some people who go for gold. There is more ways than a detector for that. If you havent done so, look for other sites also to get ideas of where to dig. If you want gold with a coin machine, you'll need to hunt gold coins. Im guessing you have a coin detector.

This site has some really smart people. Very helpful. They say the 49r's only got about 2/3 rds of the gold they went after. But you will find coins everywhere.

I am new, and dont want to put alot of info out there. What I thought it would be like, and what it is has changed. I found a 1975 lincoln penny today and got really excited. Not because it was a penny, but Im spot testing areas to see if they hold any coin.

An example would be I went to the park right after I picked up my detector. It was trashy, and never worked as I couldnt go a foot without a signal. The machine is telling me I have silver and coin everywhere. The two spots I carefully dug up with my pocket knife was empty. That was because pinpointing can be tough in trashy areas.

I have been cleaning my backyard and driveway as a morale booster. My first few expeditions outside the backyard were embarrassing. I dug 1' today for a 1/4 inch piece of tin roof. I was laughing when I pulled a Boat Oar out of a sandbar today. Im leaning towards headphones as sound is a better indicator whats really there.

Good Luck with the coins. Hope this helps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19676.msg129191.html#msg129191

The more I learn, the less I know.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: