[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LakemonsterTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Cibola, BH Pioneer 202, Garret Pinpointer PRO
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

I got to looking at eBay and found these inline filters.... some claim this cleans things up on high gain.

It sounds good.... I'd like to run my threshold all the way up without the chatter.

Do these things work? or is it snake oil?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg154787.html#msg154787

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:30:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow. This question is full of contradictions. High threshold may not be high gain, depending on what machine you are using. External filters are for 50/60hz filtering and will have no effect at all on your machine's performance.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg154998.html#msg154998

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:38:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD's commemts apply first but I am also curious about what and how these filters were advertised. Were they for metal detectors or just general filters for electrical circuits? and If they were for MDs how and where were they installed? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155004.html#msg155004

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

The ads on ebay run that the help filter out em and radio interference.... as well as a the claim of running higher gains cleaner. The ads and pics show the coil plugging into the filter.... the filter plugs into the circuit box.

I'm using a Tesoro Cibola......all the science I understand not... sorry if all this sounds confused.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155025.html#msg155025

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I didn't look at them, however, they might be standard ferrites for reducing power line noise. Might help from getting power line interference into your machine via the coil wire.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155078.html#msg155078

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:46:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Lakemonster
The ads on ebay run that the help filter out em and radio interference.... as well as a the claim of running higher gains cleaner. The ads and pics show the coil plugging into the filter.... the filter plugs into the circuit box.

I'm using a Tesoro Cibola......all the science I understand not... sorry if all this sounds confused.

Go ahead and buy one. Figure it out for yourself. You clearly didn't come here for advice. You only want someone else here to say it will find a chest full of gold for you.

They do filter noise but not the kind you are concerned with. If you have hunted under high tension power lines, you would have heard a constant buzzing at 50hz or 60hz depending on where you live. These would filter that noise out.

Like I said, don't believe me. Go buy one and let us know if it works as you think it might.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155141.html#msg155141

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ouch.

I was looking for advice. Sound advice from those who do understand metal detector electronics. I don't.... but I am trying to learn.

They aren't expensive.... I suppose I could get one and let you know what I thought of it. But if I had a self misguided appraisal of it and reported back that I thought it worked.... well then someone who does know the facts that proved otherwise would only point out that I indeed have no idea what Im talking about and I would be guilty of promoting something in ignorance.

Im sorry I asked now...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155167.html#msg155167

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:05:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Lakemonster
Ouch.

I was looking for advice. Sound advice from those who do understand metal detector electronics. I don't.... but I am trying to learn.

They aren't expensive.... I suppose I could get one and let you know what I thought of it. But if I had a self misguided appraisal of it and reported back that I thought it worked.... well then someone who does know the facts that proved otherwise would only point out that I indeed have no idea what Im talking about and I would be guilty of promoting something in ignorance.

Im sorry I asked now...

Look, mate, you came here, asked advice and then ignored it. You even got a second opinion that gave the same advice. Then you came back and told us that the ads indicated we were wrong. That's fine.

My advice to you has changed. Go buy one. Find out for yourself. Don't bother asking again if you aren't going to pay attention. If you are really wanting an answer, come back any time and ask a question.

By the way, those in line filters were designed for data cables. Go to a thrift store and buy a data cable that has one (Usually a USB cable) and carefully remove it from the cable. Test it on your machine that way. Don't spend money on eBay and pay shipping when you can get the cable for a dollar or so.

Now stop whining and ask your questions. Just don't come here expecting everyone to gush over your question and answer it in a way that suits you rather than giving you the correct answer. If you are going to do the former, at least tell us what you want us to say so we can just say nothing. Sound fair to you?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155369.html#msg155369

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lakemonster,  I will say there is about a 0% chance that a universal filter will improve the performance of your machine. The coil and the electronics are matched to each other and inserting another piece of equipment between them is going to detune the system. just how much it detunes the system I don't know but I would guess if it is a 60 Hz rfi filter it is going to knock the hell out of the sensitivity. Yours is a good question and I would like to know more about the company and what they are selling. Fact is there is a whole industry out there making "black boxes" that are sold as silver bullets. I recall an especially cynical one. When they had the Chernoble disaster in Russia the newspapers were plastered with ads for "personal radiation detectors" Someone took one apart. It consisted of a battery a switch and a red and a green LED. the red Led wasn't hooked up. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155397.html#msg155397

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

But that wasn't the question. He wanted to know what the effect would be and would they work. He got the answer but I believe he really wanted to buy some and wanted reassurances which couldn't be given.

We get a lot of questions like this one where the person asking it wants to be reassured rather than actually get an answer that doesn't agree with the picture he or she has in her mind about something. Some people accept the answer like the recent one we had about using one manufacturer's stock coil on another manufacturer's machine. The answer? It's possible but there are other factors beyond appearance and size. The person got the answer he or she needed and chose to just not take the chance with two machines which were both under warranty.

Posted on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:25 AM
By the way, Gambol, I know it was you asking about the coil. I'm just having a bit of a grin here. I'm allowed because I'm old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22157.msg155400.html#msg155400

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: