[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RustedwhoTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Went out today to a local State Park that i've gotten permission to detect. This was my first time out with a metal detector and it seems i was beat to the spot. Little disappointed but works all the same I supppose. Found about $1 at the State Park and some very heavy dark colored rocks that set it off. Plus, found about 40 pull tabs and a 30-30 case. Then went to a local playground for about 30mins, found about $1.25 so thats a little better. Any idea of what the rocks may be? Was hoping for some better finds but all in all was a decent day. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my IPhone because I can...     -Rusted

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203668.html#msg203668

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:25:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can't help on the rocks but there will be a few comments here soon I'm sure. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203671.html#msg203671

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

gee, heavy, dark colored rocks that set off a metal detector would describe a whole lot of metal ores.   You could post a picture here and we could guess and ask you what the specific gravity is, but my best practical suggestion would be to find a local rock collecting group and ask one of their members or go to the museum or rock shop in the area and see if you can either find something similar there or have one of the staff identify it for you.

As for not finding much at the park....just because you didn't find much this time doesn't mean someone beat you to it or even that you won't find a lot the next time.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203885.html#msg203885

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats true. Welcome and keep looking. I've onlt found a few keys and some old metal. Next year will be different tho

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203890.html#msg203890

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Keep trying. You'll find more. The rocks could be anything. Aroung here (NE Tennessee) there are even some bricks that will set of a detector. Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203922.html#msg203922

WB4RAV

Offline GerryF
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

78.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:35:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Don,t be discouraged, your finds will improve as you do more hunting, Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg203942.html#msg203942

Offline RustedwhoTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Went back out today and searched along a trail that used to lead to a local swimming hole in the stream. It was heavily used in the 50's and since then has been surrounded by roads. The trash was unbelievable, so many cans and beer tops. I just couldn't believe how people could trash an area so bad but I guess my morals are a thing from the past. Things like this make me mad so last time I wrote an article that was posted in the local newspaper. Can read it here if you like, its a little off topic but relates to morals i suppose.

Please Register or Login

Anyway found about a dollar in clad, nothing special once again. Just have to keep trying!

Sent from my IPhone because I can...     -Rusted

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg204007.html#msg204007

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to thunting, Rustedwho! It is sad to find all the trash that has accumulated over the of years. But considering the time involved, not all of your fellow man are guilty and many feel, as you do, the moral responsibility to pass a cleaner environment on to posterity. I want to thank you for removing the rubbish that would still be rusting in the ground if not for your efforts. I actually feel almost as good digging up car parts as coins because this ground is a little bit cleaner when I leave. Almost. Poptop! 

Posted on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:27 PM
at least YOUR local paper still posts some of the readers opinions...maybe my opinions were just too unsavory.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg204011.html#msg204011

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:12:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rustedwho, I would say you had a pretty good 2 days of hunting. Especially for a newbe. The important thing is not to let digging up trash discourage you. Its a hobby that takes patience. You will find that as you get more skillful with your machine you will dig less trash but digging trash is part of it. I've been at it 2 years now and I still dig trash 10 to 1 over keepers and often those keepers are just clad but like today I found a liberty half dollar in the first 15 minutes of my hunt. It just happens and when it does it charges you up for the next hunt. Just as important as patience is looking for new sites. When its too hot too cold or raining I look for sites.  Do some research on the history of your area to find out where the older houses and historical areas are. Use the County Property apprasiers website to determine ownership.  Over half of the people I ask give me permission. Also vacant City, County and State land works for me.  Good Luck and I hope to see you here on Thunting in the future. gambol1

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg204015.html#msg204015

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your found $2.25 on your first outing, with your first detector?  Wow!  That is nothing to be ashamed of at all!  As BA said, just because you didn't find much the first time, doesn't mean there's not more to find!

I've been detecting since the very early 1970's and I still dig a lot of trash.  It comes with the hobby,  and a lot of time what you think is trash turns out to be good stuff!  Don't get discouraged with any of it, just "keep on swingin!"    

And welcome from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28798.msg204039.html#msg204039

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:58:21 pm by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: