[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fletcherTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

141.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm getting back into detecting and was wondering about the depths that most coins and rings are found at. I realize that sandy beaches can vary greatly but most of my detecting will be land based. Just was wondering what depths everyone is finding stuff at. And therefore if I need to upgrade to something newer than my old Garrett vlf/tr Coinhunter. Thanks and I'm really enjoying looking around the forum.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257205.html#msg257205

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Fletcher, I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living, but I'd seriously consider upgrading to something newer just because the newer machines are lighter and have better battery life.   Even with the sweet spot depth being roughly the same, you can swing a newer detector for a lot longer.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257206.html#msg257206

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Most coins I ever find are in the surface to oh say 7" range at most.

As you stated Beaches can be another animal.

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257207.html#msg257207

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:20:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

fletcher, BA is right mate I have dug coins 1" to 18" it just depends on the ground, the machine, electronic interfearance, moisture in the ground, the skill of the user etc etc, tell us your plan and we will do our best to help.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257208.html#msg257208

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a hard question to answer as depth will  very from area to area for many reasons. If your in a park that has good top soil is watered and mowed weekly you may dig coins lost last  year at 3 or 4 inches while across the street  a lot that is never mowed or watered the same coin maybe only half that.  or less. A few years back we were hunting a old town site in west Texas and dug many 100 YO silver coins at half an inch ground was like rock and low yearly rain fall.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257209.html#msg257209

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Fletcher!  Welcome from northeastern Oregon!   Welcome

I have found that the average coin depths where I find coins is about 4" to 6" here in the highly mineralized ground in my area.  Extremes vary from surface to 12" or so.

Good luck getting back into the hobby and have fun!        Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257214.html#msg257214

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline fletcherTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

141.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the input. BA you hit it pretty close on age as I'm not a young man in years, though mentally I've been accused of only acting half my age Grin. The weight factor is something to consider and I've been looking at the Tesoro line as well as Garretts. My six 9volt batteries alone probably weigh close to a new detector Wink. My first detector was a BFO machine(now that's aging myself) and I found many coins at surface to 3  inches or so. But not much competition back then. Then I got an AH Pro BackPacker TR machine which worked pretty well and added a few inches, but the Garrett TR/VLF Coinhunter really increased my depth. So I'll probably start out with my Garrett and save some bucks for a newer lighter weight detector.
Most of my hunting will be in Pa. at old home/farm sites and a few parks thrown in from time to time. I'm not really sure how important discrimination will be as I'm use to running in VLF mode and just digging every thing. Will a newer machine still maintain good depth or does it lose depth as when I switch to the TR mode to discriminate?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257216.html#msg257216

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:02:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Fletcher,
I'm guessing we are pretty close in age.  I too started with a BFO.  This was in the early 1970's.  I upgraded over the years until I bought a Garrett Grand Master Hunter and kept that one until recently.  I kept the discrimination set low and dug every target.  Over the years my knees and back decided they didn't like all the up and down stuff and I found myself hunting less.  Then a friend talked me into jumping head-first into the 21st Century in terms of detector technology.  I want to share some observations.  I now own a White's DFX and a Minelab E-trac.  My wife has claimed the DFX as her own but I don't mind because the E-trac has been an eye-opening experience.  I guess the best way I can sum it up is that I now have options I didn't have with the Garrett GMH.  Even when I'm feeling good and the site looks promising I still don't dig everything.  From a single old churchyard I've recovered 4 jewelry rings at depths down to 7" and a nice pile of coins along with a pocket knife and a wrist watch.  I found my share of nickles there too.  The surprising thing is how few pull tabs I dig.  They're down there but I've come to trust that the E-trac can tell me what they are.  Every now and then I'll dig one just to be sure.  Yep, pull tab.  The same thing goes for those zinc corroders that pass for pennies today.  If the E-trac gives me a 12-37+/- I have the option to dig or not because it's probably a zinc penny.  If I see 12-44 it's a copper penny.  A 12-15 to 12-17 is most likely a nickle.  A 12-27+/- is probably a pull tab.  Of course, the E-trac still gets fooled occasionally by wads of aluminum foil and can slaw but no machine is perfect.  The end result is that I can hunt longer and come home with a much higher ratio of good finds to trash.

I'm not pushing the E-trac or any other machine.  I used the E-trac as an example because it is what I have experience with.  I just think you might want to consider getting a more modern detector.  It can be frustrating at first to learn a new machine but I think you will find it worth it.

Storm 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257221.html#msg257221

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

030713 finds.jpg
Class Ring.jpg

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
10%
Male
Australia

6090.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:23:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Fletcher welcome to the forum. from Melbourne Australia
Hi Stormrider1951
If you had to choose between the DFX and the E-track which way would you go?
Did you ever try YOURFELF both machines over the same ground? Did they perform difently? Would you have found those coins and jewelry with your DFX?
I have been a Whites man since day Dot, I been thinking of a minelab, but I have to be convinced that it’s worth it.
Sorry fletcher I didn’t mean to hijack your topic. But I can only get the right answer of someone that use both machines
 moderators If I am out of order please remove my post

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257226.html#msg257226

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:35:57 am by nickel_n »

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Weight is the key issue. Electronically, you cannot find a better machine that what you have. Believe it. After 40 years, it's still sought after by the pros. You have a real treasure in your hands.

I keep a small dumbell by my easy chair (no, not the wife) so I can keep my forearms able to endure long sessions with my Groundhog but the lighter machines are just so tempting and almost as good. When I have a serious hunt, out comes my Groundhog. Every time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257237.html#msg257237

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: