[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jrock
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 01:37:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In addition to loving metal detecting I also have a M.S. in electrical engineering (day job).  If anyone has any questions regarding modifying your detector or electronics based questions pm me and I would be happy to help.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg165595.html#msg165595

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:39:10 pm by jrock »

Please Register or Login

Jaytronic Technologies Detectors
:
Great Deals on Garrett and Bounty Hunter Detectors. Find Reviews and Specs on Your Next Detector. Check Us Out!

PM Me for Insane Discounts!

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 01:47:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You need to talk to Xavier, coz he's building a PI and he is a bit of a WIZ but he could use you help
You will find him on the detecting in South Africa Thread their a fantastic bunch over there.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg165596.html#msg165596

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 03:05:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by jrock
Here are my two cents.

The F75 operates at a frequency of 13 kHz, while the Ace 250 operates at 6.5 kHz.  The coil of a metal detector is actually a tuned LC circuit (inductance from the loops of the wire and capacitance from the spaces between the loops of the wire).  Each coil has a resonant frequency where the impedance of the inductance (+jxl) and impedance of the capacitance (-jxc) cancel each other.  The total impedance of the coil is (r+jxl-jxc), therefore when xl equals xc then you are left with only the pure resistance of the coil and you get maximum field strength (max detection depth).  The frequency at which xl equals xc is the resonant frequency.  Which in the case of the F75 is 13 kHz and with the Ace 250 is 6.5 kHz.  Therefore, by replacing a coil with a different resonant frequency then the operating frequency of the detector you will not achieve max field strength and therefore your detection depth will greatly suffer.  Therefore, I would not recommend the switch. 

Jay, I suggest that you use baby talk. Resist the urge. Most of the users here just want to know if the plug is all they have to change to make it work. I already explained that the frequency was critical and it wouldn't work. I spent days trying to explain the inductance/impedance/reactance relationship on the forums and had a bazillion unanswerable questions in PM as a result.

"What is the impedance of my coil please?" - no reference to even manufacturer
"Does the type of plastic affect the coil?" - he was serious

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg165627.html#msg165627

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jrock
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Jay, I suggest that you use baby talk. Resist the urge. Most of the users here just want to know if the plug is all they have to change to make it work. I already explained that the frequency was critical and it wouldn't work. I spent days trying to explain the inductance/impedance/reactance relationship on the forums and had a bazillion unanswerable questions in PM as a result.

"What is the impedance of my coil please?" - no reference to even manufacturer
"Does the type of plastic affect the coil?" - he was serious

Thanks for the advice....I just thought I would add to your explanation with more of the physics but I understand that it can just cause more problems. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg165654.html#msg165654

Please Register or Login

Jaytronic Technologies Detectors
:
Great Deals on Garrett and Bounty Hunter Detectors. Find Reviews and Specs on Your Next Detector. Check Us Out!

PM Me for Insane Discounts!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 04:47:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Believe me, nothing would please me more than to get into the details here but it sometimes sails over the heads of people who really want to know but don't have the background. Thus, I start with baby talk and the technically minded ask for more.

Have you looked over the tech boards yet?

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php?c=15

That's under Tech Talk on the main forum page. That should keep you busy for a day or two.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg165657.html#msg165657

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 07:40:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

jrock, thanks, I understand. I have a grasp of what it means to use a coil of a different inductance. I couldn't find the frequency the ace operated on in the Garrett web site. You cleared that up. Gambol...The small coil is a honey when you are on junkey sites. Today I was on an old railroad bed. (1890's) the bed was littered with hot rocks from the coal burning steam engines. In discrimination mode it sounds like popcorn popping when you go over it. I have been over it before with the garrett and a 9 inch coil and with the fisher 11 inch. Today I found a 1901 Indian head nestled among the hot rocks down about 3 inches in soft sand. gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22172.msg168288.html#msg168288

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: