[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:01:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Spanishgold1 when you grid an area do it like mowing the lawn up and down and on a 40" coil overlap by 6 to 10 inches, and you would be better off making a wooden frame with some plastic wheels with rubber tires on or you will wear the coil out in a morning.
and measure out an area and put pegs in the ground and where ever you finish put a pile of rocks and take a gps reading and the best one for high accuacey is the Garmin GPS 76 or the GPS 72 because you can zoomin to 20ft,see the message above for sans

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147138.html#msg147138

Offline spanishgold1
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I can tell you what I am doing.  It may or may not be the right way but its the only way I know.  I grew up on a farm and spraying the field to kill the bugs, with the tractor I know the problem you have with getting off course and missing large amount of areas.  When you search an area you want to make sure you have covered every square area.  Imagine spending months covering an area but because your gps was off the 20 ft. and the area that you missed contained the goodies you were looking for.  Its murphy's law that this would happen.   I do know that to be accurate with the GPS you need to have another reference point. that transmits a signal just like the satellites do.  This is the way they do it to be within an inch when they do surveying. Im still researching it for something that is affordable.

What I am doing is using my laptop with a topo map program.  You can hookup your gps to your laptop that has the topo map program. You can do a bread crumb trail to know where you have been.  This is a crude method but its the one I am going to start with until i come up with something better.  I use this now when i look for areas.  the curser on the computer always tells me where Im out.  It works great.

A far as pulling a cart with plastic wheels or using 2"PVC pipe that acts as a sleigh I have a better ingenious way.  Plastic wheels will be a maintance nightmare and PVC pipe as a sleigh will give you false signals as you go up and down hitting rocks, sagebrush  etc.   Its called a Picavet system.  Google it to know what it is. With a long pvc pipe hung out like a fishing rod with the loop tied to the picavet  system your loop will always be stabilized no matter if your four wheeler is sideways or if there is sagebrush, rocks.  it will be suspended above the ground. in a level position all the time...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147158.html#msg147158

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

SG1, The field that a large coil will put out will cause you alot of problems unless you use a faraday shield withih the coil or you will be pickin up you're ATV an Argo 6x6 or 8x8 would be better because its made of upvc type plastic
there is no real quick fix reguarding this type of venture when i'm doing griding i always over lap my grind and i can cover quite an area
about 3/4s of a foot ball pitch in 4 or 5 hrs and thats with a 12" coil, if you go too fast the you will lose depth as well as target ID, and
on coin size or smaller targets you will miss them all togerther and a 1" nugget is worth a couple of grand

j

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147163.html#msg147163

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: