[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:54:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

I would like to hear from people who have some knowledge concerning scanning large areas.
  What I am thinking of is something like carrying or pulling a tube or box box shaped detector over large areas,beaches, deserts, etc.   The goal being to at first quickly scan large areas accepting almost any signal--ferrous,non-ferrous, trash,etc. as a possible good find and then returning to these 'hits" for in-depth checking.
   Also does anyone have knowledge concerning the use of satellites for precious metal detection.  It occurs to me that the possibilities with this method are mind boggling and I surely want to learn about it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg146811.html#msg146811

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:53:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

San i saw something on the ABC news net work a few months ago  of some thing being used in Australia it was some kind of
high tec gizzmo, and as for box coils you can buy them and mount them on a frame and put plastic wheels on it but make sure
they can handle the terrain

j

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147044.html#msg147044

Offline sanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

So auminesweeper-John   it is you again offering your knowledge.  It is appreciated much.
I have sent an email to the contact you suggested concerning the holes and understand it could be a bit for a reply.  It is probably now in your understanding that my interests include gaining knowledge in nearly any area of detecting treasure-hunting.  It has been something way back in my mind for ages unfortunately to necessity to send my life working jobs with immediate returns was always there.  I am now semi-retired with buckets of time to be spent dreaming a little and trying to make a fortune while having this great time.  I am now in The Baja California with all kinds of possibilities---The beach, dry washes,river beds covered with meters and meters of eroded materials from the mountains, river mouths, old mines, and caves and more.
    Presently of course is my question about basic "sweeping" of large areas to determine if any obects of metal exist and to then returning to the "hits".   Soon to follow this effort will be using detectors in two old abandoned mines.  We do assume that years ago confirming the existence of metals in a mine with human vision of an object was in most instances the only way available to most miners.  Once sight of metal was lost--- well that was that.  Detectors capable of rock, possibly solid rock, penetration are of great interest to me as well.  Any suggestion in what equipment will be needed?
    Returning to the present, I need to cover large above ground areas.  Do you have knowledge in this area of detecting or can you refer me to someone who does?  There is one prominent question in my mind at this time---can a flexible rope like object that will conform to the ground variations be pulled and respond with "hits".  I have heard of blanket detectors, but have absolutely no other knowledge or "hands on" experience.  Is there much choice available in large area scanning?
   I will stop for now and give you a "breather".   Will be awaiting your replies

again with thanks much           san

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147089.html#msg147089

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Blanket detectors coils were made in the 70's for several popular brands of the times. So of the old mag's have ads for them but they never went over well. If they work the meteorite hunters would be buying the few out there up, to my knowledge they never work very good.
I have hunted beaches from the keys to Panama and they all have one thing in common JUNK IRON.
I am not sure what you hope to find if is  coins and jewelery you are wasting your time and money if its larger artifacts or a cache then you may be on to something

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147092.html#msg147092

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline sanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

auminesweeper your experience is something I really need to consider.  That outweighs the probabilities of successful ideas with no doings.  The amount of junk covering the beaches is really that much of an interference with successfully scanning large areas?  But of course my first scan is typically for anything even ferrous stuff while using a coil.   
   The vast area of beach from the ocean to the resort hotels would take eons of time with a coil to say nothing of the desert.  It strongly occurs to me that checking all hits is much less time consuming than using conventional coils.  Perhaps the box shaped coil is the best overall thing, either buying or, for me, custom constructing these devices.  I do not know what is involved in the construction area but assume the coil itself is a rather simple affair?  Still do these large devices still register on coins, rings and etc.?  Is it truly necessary to keep the coil above the ground surface?
    Any old mine experiences?
    I can imagine that you think maybe my handle should have been "full of Questions"
                                                      san

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147112.html#msg147112

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

I can imagine that you think maybe my handle should have been "full of Questions"

Yeah maybe because you sure are not answering any and don't seem to listen to what people are telling you. It seems you have already made up your mine and don't want answers unless they fit into your plan.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147113.html#msg147113

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline spanishgold1
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:25:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sounds like we are on the same page.  I am semi retired and have been thinking about scanning large areas and going back to check on these targets.  I have been looking at the Pulse Star 2 detector and using the larger 3 X 12 loop and pulling it behind my four wheeler.  I am still researching grid patterns and the most effective way to cover a area completely.  Using GPS technology is not accurate enough unless you have a 4th reference point, which like I said I am still looking into.
I am going to be ordering one in three months but already in the process of getting my four wheeler setup. Other than that I don't have answers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147119.html#msg147119

Offline sanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bingo
   Spanishgold1 for this particular topic concerning large area searching you are what I am looking for and feel lucky you replied.   And I think you may have many more answers than you imagine.  I have a university student who is studying geology and has access to and the ability to use satellite technology and we are digging into that area as well.  My idea is to gather all information concerning detection of precious metals and selectively use what is best for the situation.
    Presently I want to know what you know and will offer whatever I can in return.  Are you purchasing or building loops?  If you are purchasing loops I would appreciate being directed to good sources.  If you know things about constructing loops I am very very interested in learning what you know.  Loops custom made for the situation are what I perceive to be the most ideal approach.  I can hardly imagine searching vast areas "looking for a needle in a haystack" with the much smaller conventional coils, that could take more than a lifetime.  I am concerned with checking any "hit" but also wander if the larger loops will signal things like rings and coins.  Can you answer this as a positive or maybe something of a possibility especially with custom construction and imagination.
    Both of us being somewhat retired surely have that "it's not forever feeling" push us along.
I will for sure be awaiting your reply.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147131.html#msg147131

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

San the Thing Seldom said is spot on reguarding that type of stuff, My thoughts are a company called detech their deep detectors
P/N SSP2100 analog version and the SSP 3000 is the digital version they come with a 20" discriminating coil and 40" x 40" sq coil
       $1600.00                                  $!930.39   thats what they are over here, if you want a normal type machine then buy a coil
from some one like detech 14" to 18" because these will cover alot of groud these are the same people who make the machines above, the big ares you need one of those machines, and something like the sovereign GT with the 15" WOT coil from coiltek will have you diggin that deep on coin size targets that you'll sleep for a week afterwards,but i would'nt try to use that combo for prospecting, I'd
stay along the MXT/GMT road for that job , san remember that coils over 14/15 inches tend to loose sensitivity on coin size target so just remember this went someone is trying to get you to buy real massive ones the 18" is very border line.

those machines you might be able to view them on joan allens web site,  www.joanallen.co.uk

and send pete a message there and get him to send you the info on these machines
as to searhing you need a gps now if you want accuracey the get a garmin GPS 76 or the GPS 72,  on the 76  you can zoom in
right down to 20ft so you will never be off you're target it's what i use and i've owned at least 9 of them and that has 9 data fields
that can all be changed or you can have one if you want or none at all, and the screen is a good size to and you can change the text
size, and if you're goin bush then get the gps first and learn it , the rest of your gear is very to sort out once you decide which place you want to start first OK,

john    

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147135.html#msg147135

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:46:52 pm by auminesweeper »
Offline sanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

auminesweeper
   John you are a treasure trove yourself.  It is gonna take a bit of time to sort through the info you are sending.  I will do that and hope there is a way to assist you as I become more knowledgeable and experienced.  Gosh I am really hoping for something that will start to take some of the $$$$ load off me, a 1 kilo nugget sounds good about now.  I am really getting a taste for this stuff.   The hunt is on, reminds me a lot of past times when I was involved with picking up collectibles---intriguing and something to live for.
   Seldom's help is also appreciated.  Good luck to us all.

Bob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21486.msg147136.html#msg147136

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: