[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldfishTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines
Referrals: 0

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:04:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone,

I am quite a beginner in treasure hunting and i am seeking of every help that i can get....regarding metal detecting, i have a garret metal detector, ..how deep can these types of metal detectors reach? are they reliable?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9758.msg61258.html#msg61258

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are many different Garrett machines. Depth will depend on your model and objet size. On a coin likely around up to 7'' inches.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9758.msg69985.html#msg69985

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldfish, welcome to hobby and site--you'd have to mention a particular Garrett model for someone to acurately give an estimate of depth to you. Also, depth of detection depends on size and mass or makeup of target. A coffee can full of coins can be detected deeper than a single dime in the soil. Gold items are usually less detectable most times than an object made of silver.Some Garretts have great depth ability such as the older models like the Garrett Deepseekers...but there are newer models that don't have too good a depth ability. I owned a Garrett GTA 500 one time and traded it off because it didn't meet my expectations for depth. A Garrett 1500 0r 2500 with the size-determining ability are more expensive models and do fine in depth capability. Remember the old adage, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" It usually holds true for detectors as well as many other things in life. That's not to say that a less expensive unit can't do quite well at finding things-they can. But don't expect it to be much more than average in the depth department and don't expect it to do be equal to or better than most of the more expensive units. If a detector can reach down to locate a dime or penny at around 5 0r 6 inches, then it's doing okay. A quarter maybe 8 inches or more. Some of the older coins I have located were found  anywhere from 2 to 5 inches deep. Most were no deeper than 3 inches deep in soil and not much more than that in the sand at the beach.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9758.msg69997.html#msg69997

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:08:47 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:31:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi goldfish

What you must also remember is the type of soil where you are searching like sandy or rocky will give you different depth but when it is a rocky type of soil it dose not rely mater as objects are generally found closer to the surface.

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9758.msg71360.html#msg71360

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Discrimination is also a key.  Does your detector give you the ability to ground balance iron out of the picture so that you can focus on gold or silver or other minerals?  Is the sensitivity so sophisticated that you ultimately end up ground balancing out the minerals you're attempting to dectect in the first place?  Most machines will have a decent depth, but a lot of it depends on how you set it up.  I don't care if your detector claims it can scan to 6 feet deep, if you have your ground balance screwed up you won't find anything sitting on the surface unless you trip over it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9758.msg71370.html#msg71370

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: