[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TreasuressTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Treasure Hunter 3030
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was wondering what the "essential tools" would be for a rookie detector.  Is a pinpointer really necessary?  If you had to pack the bag of a friend who was detecting for the 1st time.  What would you make sure was in it? Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130852.html#msg130852

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is what I carry in my bag:
A mini 1st aid kit of plasters, gauze, antiseptic ointment, strip of inner tube (for tourniquet)
Swiss army knife
Spare batteries
Pocket-sized poncho
UV flashlight
Regular flashlight
Garmin GPSmap 60csx
Compass
Citrus-lemongrass based insect repellent
Digital camera
Some rubber bands and a bit of twine (comes in handy for misc purposes)
10X loupe
2 folded garbage bags (to protect my machine in case of a sudden rain)

Its amazing how many things can go into a decent-sized fanny pack; you may find you can get by with less stuff that I bring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130856.html#msg130856

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:24:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A pinpointer is not really necessary.  Lot's of hunters find that they save them time and a lot find that pinpointers are just one more piece of equipment to lug around and keep track of in the field.  Personal opinion---everyone should learn the art of pinpointing with their detector.  It really isn't that difficult, just takes some practice.  (use the search function to find out more about pinpointing and pinpointers).   Then try a couple of pinpointers.  If you like them and you think they save you enough time to justify hauling them around, by all means pack them and use them.   If you find that you really can pinpoint successfully with your detector, then pack something else that might come in handy--like a camera or a gps unit or an extra coil head or extra headset or even extra batteries.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130857.html#msg130857

Offline TreasuressTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Treasure Hunter 3030
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The 1st aid kit is a great idea.  I am pretty clumsy and it is something that I never would have thought of until I was bleeding Embarrassed  Thanks fro all of the great ideas.  I am sure they will save me a lot grief.  Nothing worse than hindsight, even though it is 20/20 Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130859.html#msg130859

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

I couldn't afford a digging tool. So I use a rather stout long blade for cutting plugs. Keeps the hole edges clean and undetectable. I also have a small rag to put the dirt in, no sense having to hunt gopher holes to get dirt to fill in your holes. I also keep a 12" inch flat tip screwdriver for popping shallow coins, or marking my spot while I go back and get my knife and rag as You cant carry much and detect. I have a cheap pin pointer as I don't have one on my machine. It saves me from gouging my finds, or digging a large plug for something 2" or less in the ground. Now I have a folding shovel, magnifying glass, small tin for coins finds, hate to loose em after I find em. A small stiff brush. I large hickory handled hammer for digging hard dirt. I have a 3lb coffee can with a screen in the bottom for sand in parks. I hate digging a hole and not finding anything, so the extra stuff I have is for that purpose. My machine picks up the smallest of screws, wire, and tinfoil. As you get faster you will not want to carry allot with you. I usually work the same area 3 or 4 times increasing the depth and sensitivity each time, producing more and more coins once the iron and pull tabs are gone. Binoculars if your in the field will help you not trek for nothing. I'm always thirsty after a while so some water is nice. If I'm out for the day, I always stop at subway for a spicy Italian for lunch. In my area knee pads would be suggested. I don't detect with my ring or phone on, good way to loose em. Travel light in case you need to bug out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130867.html#msg130867

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
I couldn't afford a digging tool. So I use a rather stout long blade for cutting plugs. Keeps the hole edges clean and undetectable. I also have a small rag to put the dirt in, no sense having to hunt gopher holes to get dirt to fill in your holes. I also keep a 12" inch flat tip screwdriver for popping shallow coins, or marking my spot while I go back and get my knife and rag as You cant carry much and detect. I have a cheap pin pointer as I don't have one on my machine. It saves me from gouging my finds, or digging a large plug for something 2" or less in the ground. Now I have a folding shovel, magnifying glass, small tin for coins finds, hate to loose em after I find em. A small stiff brush. I large hickory handled hammer for digging hard dirt. I have a 3lb coffee can with a screen in the bottom for sand in parks. I hate digging a hole and not finding anything, so the extra stuff I have is for that purpose. My machine picks up the smallest of screws, wire, and tinfoil. As you get faster you will not want to carry allot with you. I usually work the same area 3 or 4 times increasing the depth and sensitivity each time, producing more and more coins once the iron and pull tabs are gone. Binoculars if your in the field will help you not trek for nothing. I'm always thirsty after a while so some water is nice. If I'm out for the day, I always stop at subway for a spicy Italian for lunch. In my area knee pads would be suggested. I don't detect with my ring or phone on, good way to loose em. Travel light in case you need to bug out.
    Yep, some inner city parks can be real jungels!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130892.html#msg130892

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:46:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Enjoyed your post, casca. Well thought out detecting operation you're running  Smiley Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130909.html#msg130909

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:47:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank You Sue, when I start prospecting my bag will grow into two bags.

We have a sticker here called a goathead. It is so tough it will stick to concrete. Now after you have 40 or 50 them stick to you while digging a hole, a new person would get discouraged. I am used to em, but the will burn for a few hours afterwards.

I also search more than just the parks. My list was in addition to what others have posted. I carry a 5 gallon bucket with necessitys while digging if Im not comfortable leaving my items behind me as I search.

I find coins and only been scunked a few times so far. Lots of places to hunt and not much competition. I usually have to work an area a few times to get to the coins. I am excited and very happy with the BH 202. But want more, dont we all.

Private property is my fav for coins. But Im looking at some ruins this weekend. The mountains are blm and parks. No ready to tackle them just yet. I have located some old mines also on open range, to include a meteorite field within 50 miles of the house. So yes my expeditions as I call them are fun.

If I was to take a new person out I would show them one of the first spots I cleaned out. Set the sensitivity on high, and direct where I know there is probably a few coins. No stickers, easy digging, no trash.

If I was mad at you I would take you to a set of ruins I found last week. It had a tin roof. It had a tin roof. Little bits of tin everywhere. My machine was not able to discriminate it out.

I currently am doing wide open fields use for public events. Our parks see a lot of reunions, and peartys of the sort. To include free concerts. I figure I only need one gold ring a month to pay for my hobby. I have a lot of practice to do.

Again I thank the ol timers on here as my packing is thier packing list. My finds are there finds, and no you cant have half. They have already helped me pick out my next detector.

Good Luck to all and happy hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130916.html#msg130916

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

First I think a pinpointer is of little use learn to PP with your detector.
If your hunting parks beaches etc where you are close to your truck there is little need to carry more then your detector and digging tool. If your going to wander several 100 yards from your vehicle carry batteries, water and candy bar.
If your going where you will end up miles from your car then you need to be prepared.
Knife
Flashlight
Insect repellent
Camera
Jewelers loupe
Match's  
First Aid Kit
Instant Coffee
Water
Candy or energy bars
Any med's you may be on
Ziploc bags in assorted size's
T P
Whistle  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130917.html#msg130917

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
We have a sticker here called a goathead. It is so tough it will stick to concrete. Now after you have 40 or 50 them stick to you while digging a hole, a new person would get discouraged. I am used to em, but the will burn for a few hours afterwards.

Ah I think I've met that plant - spreads out close to the ground with little yellow flowers. Sounds like you have a nice variety of hunting grounds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19873.msg130936.html#msg130936

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: