[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GREY RIDERTopic starter
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

when you use the pin point mode on you detector  how can you tell were the target is in regards to your coil should it be in the center   loop or some where in the large loop ?   would help me determine how big a hole a gotta dig .

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg143853.html#msg143853

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

To a certain extent it depends upon you loop configuration (circular versus double-d, etc)--but generally speaking it will be at or near the center of the coil.  A lot of manufactures actually have the location marked on the coil.  This is one place where reading the manual DEFINITELY comes in handy.  And when all else fails, practice with a coin on top of the ground (first where you can see it and then under a sheet).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg143905.html#msg143905

Bronze Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:07:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for all the info

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg143956.html#msg143956

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As BA pointed out, there are a couple of different locations for that sweet spot or pinpointing spot. In a round coil, normally it is dead center but some are at the base of the coil near where it joins the down rod. This can happen because of the proximity of the metal in the rod which deforms the electromagnetic field. Detectors with plastic down rods for the last foot or so eliminate this issue. In early Garrett machines, the coil design with its internal wiring made the sweet spot offset to near the bottom.

The Double D coil has a wedge shaped sweet spot much like an axe head going down from the top of the intersection of the two coils to the bottom intersection. Along the wedge shaped field that develops, a return will be sensed but you won't be able to pinpoint it accurately unless you do a second sweep at an angle from the first. This will allow you to mentally calculate the best spot.

A tip for you. On solid coils, place a bright red fluorescent dot (office supply store) at the spot where your target lies. For open coils, run a couple of elastic bands across the coil and put your dot there. When you pinpoint a target, hold the coil steady and stare at the dot without shifting your eyes for about 5 seconds. Then, without moving your eyes, move the coil aside and stare at the ground. A green dot will appear on the ground as if by magic. This is a negative image of the red dot which is on your retina for a few seconds. Try it. It works.

The green dot is where you dig.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg144036.html#msg144036

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:32:38 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Josey,

There are some very good handheld pinpointers that go a good inch or two. If its sod, I try to dig a little larger hole and dig straight down so I can put the plug back in with out water or mowers pulling it back up. But the guys above are right about practice. I used to throw a quarter on the ground when I got to the park, and then set my discrim and seen where my coil was hitting it till I got better. Happy Hunting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg144059.html#msg144059

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Steveo
Bronze Member

dug so deep I hit #9 coal
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's M6  :   Garrett 1350 :  Coinmaster tr : Tesoro silver umax : Garrett ace 150
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

WOW GD    Shocked
                                                                                              That red dot turning green thing sounds neat.I never heard of such a thing. I will without a doubt try this out....
Great info GD.........Thank you     Wink

Posted on: February 17, 2011, 09:03:18 AM
Hello Josey
As BA suggested to use a coin on the surface to see where it's lining up with your coil,then after you get an idea of the sweet spot cover it over with a sheet of I use a couple inch thick closed cell foam or even a book if you like.once your comfortable with that, start ya a search garden and plant coins at different depths and angles then place a golf  tee on top side dead center of coins buried and see where the tee is lining up with your coil. Anywho that how I did it and it works just fine for me..

Good luck with it all     Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg146221.html#msg146221

Bronze Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

thank you guys  i kept getting wierd readings on a couple of targets when i dug them they were cans  i would get a stronger reading on one end (tab end )   that shows ya right there that the tabs don't even have to be off the can  and josey can find em lol!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21277.msg146573.html#msg146573

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: