[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline crystal2223Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My metal detector says to put the sensitivity at 10, and it will pick up everything. So if I lower it to say, 5, will it pick up objects closer to the surface?  It also says to leave the Disc. at 0.  ;DI just don't know how to figure out how deep I'm supposed to dig. My detector is from Harbor Freight and doesn't have that fancy depth option. If not, then how do I only search for items that are less than 6 inches deep?
Today my big find was a piece of tin from a building and a little silver metal "object" because I'm not sure what it is. And if I'm in an area that I know people have lost gold jewelry, what setting do you all use to look for just that one certain metal? Or is that even possible?
Sorry so many questions but I'm a newbie to this and really want to get into metal detecting Smiley
Thanks!!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg100772.html#msg100772

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

gee....this is an unusual, a detectorist that wants LESS depth.   Smiley  Ok crystal, there are a lot of variables involved, including the type of metal, the soil conditions, and the size and mass of the object.    As a general rule, the bigger the object, the deeper it can be detected, so theoretically, you'd get the same basic signal for a quarter-sized aluminum token at 2 inches as you would for an aluminum pan lid at 8 inches.    Decreasing your sensitivity will decrease your depth (in most cases).  As for discrimination, that's designed more for eliminating certain types of signals (say pull-tabs).  The trouble with using discrimination, especially if you don't know how your detector works is that you can leave some very nice jewelry behind.

Here are a couple of things you need to do sooner rather than later.
1)  lay your detector across a couple of wooden chairs outside (or some other rig that doesn't have a lot of metal and keeps the machine parallel to the ground with the coil perpendicular to the ground).   Then one at a time take as many different kinds of metal objects (coins, rings, keys, etc) as you can find and pass them across the coil face at different distances from the coil.  Pay attention to the sound each type of object and metal makes.  Also figure out what the furthest distance from the coil object has to be not to be picked up in this air-test.   (There isn't a direct relationship between air tests and testing soil, but it gives you a general idea).

2)   Make a  test plot in a sandbox or a corner of the garden, or some other place that you can bury metal objects without causing problems (using golf tees to mark where you buried them can help).  Bury the stuff at different depths and at different angles to the soil.   Then try to find everything.   Pay attention to what the sound and the meter is telling you.   Then try it again changing the discrimination or the sensitivity a little at a time until you find the settings that work best for you.   Those will be YOUR base settings (but you'll still have to make some adjustments in the field).

By the way, unless the target is really big, I don't think you're going to have to worry about digging very deep.   If you scan through previous postings in the Beginners section you'll find lots of tips you can use with your detector even though the person asking was using a different brand.

Good luck,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg100778.html#msg100778

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As BA said a test plot is the best way to learn your detector. Go slow and learn the tones the only thing I don't agree with is the use of the meter I don't use it don't care about it useless to me but I am pretty old school so that may be bad advice. Remember your not in a race go slow at first you can speed up after you learn what's going on. And don't loss interest, I have bought dozens of detectors from folks that did not find a ring in the first hour put the machine in the closet till I got it for 20 cents on the dollar six months later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg100784.html#msg100784

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Spooky
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will second EVERYTHING BA posted..
This is ALL good advice..

And THANK you, THANK you BA for posting that air tests are NOT the same as soil tests..
In a lot of situations, the machine will pich up metal farther in SOIL than in air due to conductivity.

I will add to NEVER give up...
Don't try to spend all day when you first start, go a few hours at most.
This keeps you from "burning out" and getting frustrated too early.

Good Luck and Happy hunting.

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg100786.html#msg100786

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm like Seldom in in that I tend to ignore my meter (my one exception is when I'm "pinpointing"....then I'm concentrating on the strength of signal both visually and with my ear and not depth or anything else)....but I know some people prefer using their meters---to each his or her own

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg100787.html#msg100787

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 04:15:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

think of discrimation as ignore * as you increase your disc more and more metals will become "ignored" -- there is a metal scale -- its starts off with small iron -- the foil --then pulltabs then gold /nickle then zinc /copper (modern post 1982  cents and Indain cents) then copper cents 1982 to 1909 / clad coins and the silver at the high end -- big iron items (big items in general for that matter) are hard to "disc out / ignore"

the more power / sensitivity you use --- the deeper your finds will be but the toucher you machine will be 8 often if your try to "push" more "power" than the land can accept due to its mineral make up --(or near by power line  electrical "bleed off" )--you will getr a lot of falsing and feed back --and poor performace rather than better * -- you can only push as much power as the mineral levels in the soil will accept ( power line bleed off can also effect preformance as well )--thats what meant by ground balanced * -- your machine is at the maximum level of power for the land its on * thus its running at its peak ability

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15706.msg128233.html#msg128233

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: