[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Steve-TeeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand
Referrals: 0

33.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:51:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy folks,

I have just recently discovered this amazing site, and I am hoping I can pick a few brains   Idea  .
What I would like to do is register the presence of a car on the driveway, by means of a detector at ground level.
It seems that I have a number of possible choices, including magnetometers, but I would like to keep the search head quite small, less than 100mm dia if possible.

Could someone offer their thoughts on a good choice of detection technique for this.
Thank you kindly  Smiley .

Best wishes,
Steve.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127310.html#msg127310

My chainsaw is the best metal locator I have ever used. It Always finds the Only nail in the tree!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

are you sure you've got the right forum.....seems to me you're looking for your friendly covert surveillance or private investigation website rather than a website devoted to finding lost and/or hidden treasures and recreational metal detecting, bottle hunting, and prospecting, etc.
Ohh, and by the way, it is customary to introduce one's self on our New User Introductions Board.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127363.html#msg127363

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

33.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy BitburgAggie_7377,

Sorry for coming across as a secret Gov't agent  Wink .
**** Hides his dark glasses - and black suit behind the sofa ****

I tend to focus on a fascination with the technology and alternative uses for it, moreso than its intended applications.
For example, I found that the twin coils of an induction balance metal detector can be used as a range and direction sensor for machines with moving parts.
This will be of interest in a CNC mill project that I am developing here.

Accordingly, the discussions on this website are very interesting indeed.
It's one of the things I love about the interweb, you get to meet some amazing individuals  Smiley .

By all means, I will drop a howdy in the introductions board  Smiley . It was rather remiss of me for not doing so.

Best wishes,
Steve.

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
are you sure you've got the right forum.....seems to me you're looking for your friendly covert surveillance or private investigation website rather than a website devoted to finding lost and/or hidden treasures and recreational metal detecting, bottle hunting, and prospecting, etc.
Ohh, and by the way, it is customary to introduce one's self on our New User Introductions Board.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127365.html#msg127365

My chainsaw is the best metal locator I have ever used. It Always finds the Only nail in the tree!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:30:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

There are many ways to detect a vehicle in your driveway. Is this one of your own vehicles or are you trying to detect intruders?

I have an RFID system that I built for my vehicles. It senses when I approach the car and it unlocks all doors for me. When I get home, it turns on the security lights and readies the house door for unlocking. As I approach the door, it unlocks both the screen door and front door. I built it, tested it and even used it for a week before I put it back on the shelf. We've been looking at new cars.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127392.html#msg127392

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

33.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:57:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy GoldDigger1950,

Thank you for your reply.

This is for my own vehicles, and also as a means of letting me know that a vehicle has arrived at the farm gate.
Often, when a delivery truck arrives, I fail to notice it, until I hear the honking of the horn.
For my own vehicles, I am interested in having lights and gates move in response to their approach.
Ideally, this would work for any vehicle, perhaps even a motor cycle.

The idea of a magnetometer seems appealing, as does a Pulse Induction based detector.
These could be placed under the surface of the driveway, so vandals don't do evil things to them.

Best wishes,
Steve.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127397.html#msg127397

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

The trouble with metal detectors is that they don't know your car from another. To have gates open for only your cards, you need some sort of transmitter in your car that activates the gate. For visitors, you can have a button at the house or even one at the gate if you're just keeping dogs or livestock inside.

RFID tags like the ones in clothing aren't good enough to ID your car so I used a full transmitter with a rolling code to recognize my car and turn on the security lights while turning off the burglar alarm. Then, as I approached the door, my key has a fob on it with a code that opens the door. The same one that unlocks the car. The total system cost is around $200.00 but you do have to built it yourself.

The way that Main Roads senses cars at traffic lights is with a buried coil in the road at the light. The don't usually do well with motorcycles. You can see them standing through several light changes until a car pulls up behind them.

This discussion, while interesting to me, is not about treasure hunting so we'd better take this to another place. Perhaps by PM?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127400.html#msg127400

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:28:26 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

33.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:26:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy GoldDigger1950,

Yes, you have given me a few things to think about. My interest was more for hands free operation of gates by any vehicle within the farm boundary. Vehicles outside of the fenceline would simply trigger a 'presence' indication.
In consideration of the somewhat off topic nature of this discussion, it does seem reasonable to continue it behind the scenes.

Best wishes,
Steve.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19405.msg127404.html#msg127404

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: