[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline smmatrixTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:11:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

What's the Difference Between a Hot Rock and Meteorite?

When scanning the ground and your detector alerts over a rock, how do you know to dismiss it as a hot rock versus investigating further to see if its a meteorite? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my first gold nugget detecting outing next week on Rich Hill, Arizona in the Weaver Mountains.

-

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg141792.html#msg141792

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:21:46 am by smmatrix »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:42:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is not a conundrum although it may seem like one. A hot rock can be a meteorite but a meteorite is a meteorite. Hot rocks are those which make your detector believe it has found metal. A hot rock could literally contain a gold nugget in its center or just be iron ore. A meteorite is hard to identify sometimes and the only real proof is in cutting one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg141809.html#msg141809

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've heard that you can whack a meteorite with a hammer or pick and it will not break, but a hot rock will.  Is that true???

smmatrix - now you gotta smack em all to get that nuggett out of the middle!!  I wish you luck.  Let us know your experiences please and take pics!  Again, happy hunting!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142056.html#msg142056

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:42:54 pm by Okletsee »

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have several hot rocks, which I thought may be Meteorites. They were found next to a set of rings in the desert. I believe it was a mining pit I found now. Detecting the site was almost impossible, couldnt go a foot without several signals. I purchased a 4 inch coil and did better.

The rocks are heavy, but not extremely heavy and lack other signs of being a meteorite. They are magnetic, and do set off a detector. Filing a window into the rocks proved to be difficult, even with a industrial grade file. All home test did not prove or disprove they were meteorites.

Since the immediate area is covered with these rocks, and I have several, I may try again to see if there is something inside one of the smaller ones setting off the detector.

Meteorites can be worth more than gold, but your are holding something not made on earth.

Dig it all, and keep it till your sure its junk. My detector is not sensitive enough to find small or fine gold.

HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142200.html#msg142200

The more I learn, the less I know.

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What would make a meteorite worth more than gold?  Yes, I understand that it is out of this world and unique, but what are some of the characteristics that make up an extremely valuable meteorite?  I mean, what's more rarer than gold to make it more valuable?  How would I know to sell my meteorite for $10 or $10,000?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142202.html#msg142202

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:02:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Meteorites are sold by the gram as gold. Anywhere from $10 dollars and up. Some meteorites are very rare, and wanted by collectors. Most dont know the proper procedure to documenting a meteor find. Then it has to be verified usually by a nickle test, at your expense.

Meteorites usually are mosty iron, and decomp very fast in a wet enviorment. Unless you hunt in a dry area, I would not worry about it.

There is many types of gold hunting. I wish you luck. If you can, get a sample of what you want to find and set your detector to it.

Look forward to your finds and post on here. What kind of area do you plan to hunt, nat asking your location, is it mine trailings, creek, do you need any information on where or how to look? The youtube videos make it look easy.

Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142208.html#msg142208

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:13:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I posted a tread on another forum to pick the brains of some of the old timers.  Scroll down to message #13 and you'll see a little background and what I'm seeking. 

Please Register or Login

http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7941

Are you MD'ing in the desert?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142211.html#msg142211

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:54:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I was looking for some old ruins and come across hot rocks. Got to walking around and decided to mark the spot for later. I google earthed my location on my blackberry and realized I was standing next to a large set of rings in the desert. A camera does not give the detail I need to post them on here, there is metal flakes, flow lines stuff you wont see with a camera. Its what I dont find that makes the rocks unusal. I will check out your thread.

Two very different locations. I am not the person to give advice as Im only been at it a few months. I have made a few friends who have very different ways of finding gold. I can only share thier advice, or better yet pm you a site with their information already there.

I would also look at crevacing, a small backpackable sluice, and definately classifier and pan set. There are some time tested ways to find gold. There is too much onfo to post here, and I dont want to take away from this site. I will pm you a good site with a good primer.

There is also a search bar up at the top right side of thuniting too.

Please dont hesitate to ask questions as there are some very knowledgable people here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21157.msg142217.html#msg142217

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:06:09 am by casca, Reason: more info needed »

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: