[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rebelgtpTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys I'm getting back into treasure hunting and metal detecting, basically I havn't touched the metal detector since I was a kid when using it with my dad.  I dug the old thing out of storage popped in the 8 AA batteries and it fired up.  My question is will this old Compass Gold Star 1000 metal detector do a good job still or will it be just way to far behind in the times to be effective?

I would like to test it out today and was wondering the best way to do that aside from spreading around some coins on the property and try finding them?

Thanks for the help.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101280.html#msg101280

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:24:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You don't really need to spend much time spreading coins around. Your Compass was a fine machine in its day. Do some air testing to gauge where the strongest field of detection is just to get used to your machine. Lay it on a wooden table so the coil hangs out in the open air. With a jewelry free hand, slowly wave a coin around under the coil and note the distance from the coil when it fades to no signal. This will be your depth estimation. You will get slightly less depth in soil or sand.

Next, move it round slowly in a spiral, circular pattern from very close to the coil to far away. Note the shape of your field. This will help guide you towards estimating the location of a target you can't see because it's in the ground. For most standard coils, this is a conical shape. For the Double D style, it is wedge shaped.

Do this for every type of coin you expect to find in your area and a few jewelry items. Your results should be fairly consistent and give you a good starting knowledge of your machine.

The next step is critical. Get out and hunt with it. Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101311.html#msg101311

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:58:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for the information!  This should give me a good idea of how the the thing is going to work and what its ranges will be.

I'm hoping to get out and do a bit of exploring with it this week, even if its just the park or something.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101313.html#msg101313

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
You don't really need to spend much time spreading coins around. Your Compass was a fine machine in its day. Do some air testing to gauge where the strongest field of detection is just to get used to your machine. Lay it on a wooden table so the coil hangs out in the open air. With a jewelry free hand, slowly wave a coin around under the coil and note the distance from the coil when it fades to no signal. This will be your depth estimation. You will get slightly less depth in soil or sand.

Next, move it round slowly in a spiral, circular pattern from very close to the coil to far away. Note the shape of your field. This will help guide you towards estimating the location of a target you can't see because it's in the ground. For most standard coils, this is a conical shape. For the Double D style, it is wedge shaped.

Do this for every type of coin you expect to find in your area and a few jewelry items. Your results should be fairly consistent and give you a good starting knowledge of your machine.

The next step is critical. Get out and hunt with it. Good luck.

GoldDigger is correct.......again !!

That old machine is a deep seeker which was the top model of the Goldstar series , which included the Goldstar 200 and 400 models. Yours should have the meter ? Learn the proper discrimination setting which nulls on trash and your machine will work as good or better than most mid-range machines on the market today .
Let us know how good it works for you .

HH................Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101314.html#msg101314

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Alright well I gave the above test a try and with most coins it seemed to get a range of about 10 inches or so down though a half dollar piece hit at about 12 inches.  The dials all have a red hash mark that indicate the presets and that is where I had them all set, is there any specific tweaking of those that could change those range results? 

As far as the radial testing it basically seemed to be consistent down to that 10 inch depth.  It seemed like the anything under the coil (about half inch in from the very edge) straight down to that 10 inch depth, think about a coffee can size shape seems to be the area its picking up.

Eugene yes this model does have a meter on it.  If you guys would like I could take some photos of it and post them up?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101335.html#msg101335

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rebelgtp, I have never owned one so I can't be of much help. The advice I gave you is good for learning about any machine and I'm happy you found out a bit about yours. If you don't have a manual for yours, perhaps you could ask about that rather than asking about tweaking a 20 year old machine. I still use my old detectors and love them. My Garrett Groundhog outperforms even my Minelab machine every time and I know that lovely old girl inside and out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101338.html#msg101338

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:58:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger good suggestion I will see if I can find a manual for it since I don't have one there is more than likely one still in my dad's stuff somewhere I just don't know where it would be.  Looks like I have some hunting to do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101340.html#msg101340

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by rebelgtp
GoldDigger good suggestion I will see if I can find a manual for it since I don't have one there is more than likely one still in my dad's stuff somewhere I just don't know where it would be.  Looks like I have some hunting to do.

All indications are that the Gold Star 400 and Gold Star 1000 share the same manual. Try asking here:

Please Register or Login

http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101349.html#msg101349

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Provided your machine is in good shape and was not beat about, it will still work today the way it was designed to when it was made.    Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg101350.html#msg101350

Offline tucando
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites- Compass- Minelab
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:49:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Your Gold Star 1000 is still a very good detector and properly adjusted you can just about do anything you want. The red slash marks are the preset adjustment for turn on and go operation. The GS 1000 is a stripped down X80 Challenger that was Compass top end unit. Depth is superb on these older Compass units. I still have and use my GS 200.
Best of hunting
A.C.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15783.msg105484.html#msg105484

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:53:11 am by tucando »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: